Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey hey hey

Gone and gong

Last edited by HVACTOM; 10-08-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Wrong picture
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Tom - I'm confused by your questions. You have access to Tim Meyer, who is the guru on these engines, and yet you ask us peons for technical help. Tim has built and dyno'd bunches of these engines, has his own pistons made, and has Comp Cams grinding specific profiles. And, he's done quite well in national engine-building completion, as witnessed by this statement by Bill Vose:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Why do you guys think I wanted the F3TE heads with the much larger exhaust ports. Fords have an advantage over the Chevies in the Engine Masters Challenge, they don't destroy pistons if you lug them down. I have a good friend who with his son entered the competition a few years ago, right after they changed the program. Both grenaded pistons in their BBC engines, got their butts kicked by Tim Myers and a built 400 and Jon Kasse with a built 460.
So, why ask us? Tim builds as many engines in a week as I/we have in a lifetime, and I/we've never dyno'd one of them. Just tell Tim what you want to do, get his advice, and buy the parts from him. He sells Scorpion rockers, and the price he gave me was competitive. He knows what CR you can get by with on which heads. And, he knows what cam profiles work with what CR.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 AM
HVACTOM
Senior User
Good point Gary and you're right. I don't want to waste his time. I am researching as of now and am not ready to purchase. He dont want to shoot the **** with me about what my options are. I want to call him one time and ask him a few questions and purchase before I hang up. When will your truck be done? I'm curious of how the oil mods work.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
My truck is probably a year from being done, although the engine should be done well before that. However, Tim has used these mod's on many engines and he's told me that they work quite well, with the hot-idle pressure being much improved over stock.

Anyway, Tim has his hands full at the moment with his recent purchase of the Cleveland block and intake manifold businesses. That is taking a lot of time to get everything going since the block manufacturing had stalled with the original company. So, he's not able to spend the time he would like in order to help people plan their engine - especially if they turn around and order the parts from someone else. Perhaps if we FTE'ers were to give him our business routinely he could afford to give us some of his time. But, otherwise we will have lost the best resource there is on building 335 Series engines.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:32 PM
HVACTOM
Senior User
Well I have alot of respect for the man for what he has done for sure and will be ordering parts from him. Praying that he still has 30 over pistons when I'm ready to order. . And btw who is turning around and ordering elsewhere? I posted summit parts simply because they have a online catalog I can browse through and see what my options are. Believe me most of us here would rather shop with someone local than a massive corporation.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good for you! My misunderstanding.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 PM
HVACTOM
Senior User
What did you misunderstand?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Colt.S.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk directly to a Comp Cams tech, he will set you up with everything you need, spider tray is separate and does not come in the cam kit. He will hook you up with the bolts to install the spider tray as well as pushrods etc. I got my entire kit with pushrod length checker and everything else for $825 shipped free shipping straight from comp so I didn't have to deal with a third party. Fill out the questionnaire form and they will give you a recommendation on what cam you should use. A cam will make or break your engine build, it will either be happy or it won't so get some professional advice whether from comp directly or crane or Tmeyer directly or whomever don't just guess at what grind to pick.
I believe Tim uses those scorpion rockers, I would say if he has used them they are good to go, one thing though CHECK your cam card specs, my comp cams advertised lift was based on a rocker ratio of 1.7:1 rockers not the stock 1.73:1 rocker, I will be gaining .010" of lift due to the extra .03 ratio at the valve. Which means I have to be even more attentive to valve clearance when I button this up.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 PM
TMI
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys, I do appreciate it.

I admit I start to become "hard hearted" as I get inundated with phone calls where they just want to ask questions and I end up being the salesman for Jegs or Summit.

Honestly, we don't answer the phone anymore unless we recognize the number. If they are a serious customer, they will leave a number, if they are just info seeking, they seldom leave a message. We typically can get calls return within 24 hours if possible.

And yea, the new Track Boss Cleveland block and intakes does gobble up my time.

There's my confession....

Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Posting the Comp Cams kit seemed to say you were buying that from wherever rather than Tim.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Colt.S.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, if you want any amount of torque off the bottom end stay away from open plenum single plane intake manifolds, your eddy intake should work great for bottom end torque which is what you want if you're towing with it. They breathe well up to about 5500 RPM anyway which is all you need. Plus you already have it, it works, thus money saved, don't give in to peer pressure. lol

Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 PM
HVACTOM
Senior User
I figured that and this is why I am here on this site, to talk with others about what they have done. I'll save my questions for when I call and i am ready to order. Until then this is all talk. I'd email the questions but I'm sure ya have enough of them also.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM
HVACTOM
Senior User
No Gary that was not my point

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Posting the Comp Cams kit seemed to say you were buying that from wherever rather than Tim.
I get what you are saying, but no i wanted to confirm what kit it was,that is the only place I can find and pictures of any kit. I'm also trying to get a idea of the price I'm looking at.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Colt.S.
Talk directly to a Comp Cams tech, he will set you up with everything you need, spider tray is separate and does not come in the cam kit. He will hook you up with the bolts to install the spider tray as well as pushrods etc. I got my entire kit with pushrod length checker and everything else for $825 shipped free shipping straight from comp so I didn't have to deal with a third party. Fill out the questionnaire form and they will give you a recommendation on what cam you should use. A cam will make or break your engine build, it will either be happy or it won't so get some professional advice whether from comp directly or crane or Tmeyer directly or whomever don't just guess at what grind to pick.
I believe Tim uses those scorpion rockers, I would say if he has used them they are good to go, one thing though CHECK your cam card specs, my comp cams advertised lift was based on a rocker ratio of 1.7:1 rockers not the stock 1.73:1 rocker, I will be gaining .010" of lift due to the extra .03 ratio at the valve. Which means I have to be even more attentive to valve clearance when I button this up.
Why buy an off-the-shelf grind? Personally, I prefer to go with one of Tim's special grinds for these engines since they are tailored to the specific pistons, heads, intake, etc he is selling you, and targeted for the use you specify.

Initially I was headed down the Comp Cams route and talked with their techs several times. But, the techs disagreed with each other, and I learned that what I wanted in the way of stump-pulling torque didn't really fit with any of their grinds. Then, when I talked to Tim he had what I needed, and had Comp grind it for essentially no additional cost over Comp's off-the-shelf cam price.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:03 PM
HVACTOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by Colt.S.
Also, if you want any amount of torque off the bottom end stay away from open plenum single plane intake manifolds, your eddy intake should work great for bottom end torque which is what you want if you're towing with it. They breathe well up to about 5500 RPM anyway which is all you need. Plus you already have it, it works, thus money saved, don't give in to peer pressure. lol
Yeah I thought dual plane was for our engines.

Quick Reply: 400 Rebuild Round 2