1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Windshield Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by F1 Mike
Bill thanks for the info.

I guess I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how to make sure I get a windshield glass that actually fits. Sounds like LMC is a bit of a crap shoot. Some have had good luck and some have had windshields that are obviously too small. I guess I could make a pattern and have one cut locally and perhaps that is the way to go.

Mike,
Do you have a glass shop that could make one given a proper pattern and do you want to go that route?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:16 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 49willard
Mike,
Do you have a glass shop that could make one given a proper pattern and do you want to go that route?
What is a good material to use for the pattern

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
F1 Mike
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
If I was to make a pattern I would probably use 1/4" luan plywood. I would install the plywood with the rubber to check before taking it to the glass shop. Looks like this is the way I need to go. Now to hunt for glass shops.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:43 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
If I was to make a pattern I would probably use 1/4" luan plywood. I would install the plywood with the rubber to check before taking it to the glass shop. Looks like this is the way I need to go. Now to hunt for glass shops.

Mike,
If you find a glass shop and decide to go that route I will send you the pattern that Josh very carefully made from a script Ford windshield. Let me know if you find a glass shop that you can use. I used the pattern to have my local glass shop make the windshield and can attest to a proper fit in my 49.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:06 AM
F1 Mike
Tuned
Thanks Bill. I wasn't planning on doing this until next springtime but perhaps I should get it done now so that the windshield is nicely sealed over the winter. I'll PM you, if you send me the pattern I will make a careful copy on mylar and see if I can get it into CAD so that it can be easily emailed to anybody.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks Bill. I wasn't planning on doing this until next springtime but perhaps I should get it done now so that the windshield is nicely sealed over the winter. I'll PM you, if you send me the pattern I will make a careful copy on mylar and see if I can get it into CAD so that it can be easily emailed to anybody.
Please count me in for that.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:23 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
cool idea

Old 09-27-2015, 12:39 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 470 Likes on 306 Posts
There are glass shops here in the San Diego area that I have used for custom flat glass work but none of them can temper that glass after it has been cut. They can cut the laminate glass however...this is what you need for a windshield anyway. The local shops send all their temper work to LA. I had all the glass cut for my 40 Ford coupe here locally...they had no problem using the paper templates that I bought from Bob Drake to make the windows.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:15 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
The rubber butts halfway on the driver side (mine had never been replaced) My glass
guy says leave a 3/8" gap making the template.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 470 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by big job
My glass guy says leave a 3/8" gap making the template.
I think that this is what brought the OP to make this post in the first place...a gap in the glass fit.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
I sent my pattern, made for me by Josh from a script windshield, to Mike. Using this pattern my glass shop cut my windshield to it and with new rubber, all of my problems went away. In my case I have the deluxe windshield trim. The proper size and shape of the glass imho is more critical for the deluxe windshield to get the fit of the ss into the groove. The windshields are the same with or without the trim. I had to give up on a previously purchased gasket and bought a new gasket from Drake

Old 09-27-2015, 05:33 PM
F1 Mike
Tuned
I will overlay the template over my existing glass to start with to see exactly what the difference is. Then I think I will make a plywood template and install it with 2 inch sections of my current window rubber to check the fit that way I can see how much space there is in the rubber to cab and rubber to glass fit. Pointless making another piece of glass that's too small and I obviously don't want it too tight either. I found a couple of glass shops locally that will cut a new windshield for me..

Old 09-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I obviously don't want it too tight either.
Valid point. My rear window from LMC, believe it or not, had to be installed using a soft faced hammer by a pro, while I cringed. Glass was obviously too big but it's still in there.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I had made two templates off that original glass. The other one went to england with a 52 ford cabover that i sold and had shipped. It needed a new windshield.
I wouldnt mind a copy of that cad file if you do make one. I could print it off on the plotter at work 1 to 1 if i ever needed it in the future since the original windshield is in the f6 and the other 3 windshields sitting here in the garage all seem to have thier own dimensions.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 PM
52 4x4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can find a local glass shop that has been in business for several years, they will often still have the patterns for cutting flat auto glass. In my case, the glass shop was the same one I had dealt with back in the sixties - the son had taken over the business, but still had the patterns that had belonged to his dad. The windshield was something like $75 - and no shipping costs! - Bob

Quick Reply: Windshield Fit