Sponsored by:

4R100 dead after 255k

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
no sorry. My transmission is still happy. I think I did see them advertise on craigslist? Is that the one that has them for 999 ?
Not that cheap! They are on eBay with $1995+HD converter and no core charge. Also, shipping is included...which is a huge plus.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Long time no see! Good to see you back on the boards Nicmike!

Not that it's relevant now, but what's the build date on your truck?

That may be the one way clutch that grenaded on you. Ask me how I know...

If it were me, I'd do one of two things depending on budget:

1. Buy a BTS transmission and never have to worry about it again. The man dares you to break his transmission and will fix it if you do.

2. Buy an HD4R100 and either a BTS or John Woods valve body.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:45 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Not that cheap! They are on eBay with $1995+HD converter and no core charge. Also, shipping is included...which is a huge plus.
There are some places selling remans for around 1000 to 1250. As to how good they are I have no clue.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Originally Posted by az_r2d1
There are some places selling remans for around 1000 to 1250. As to how good they are I have no clue.
Exactly! I have called several places today. Some want $650 for shipping, and some include it. Cores are from $1200 down to NO core charge. Prices are from $1200 to $5500. Seems the most expensive ones are also charging the most for shipping. Go figure. Cheapest 4R100HD I can find is $3000, and dealer says they can get it in about 1.5 weeks from now.

Key to all of it is WHO BUILT it and HOW GOOD are they. No way to know, unless you buy one of the high end JW, BTS or Suncoast trannies, and those are simply not in the budget for my timeline. This is my wife's daily driver, and she has no backup vehicle. She is having friends pick up kids from school while I am at work, and she is all stressed out. Not good.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Long time no see! Good to see you back on the boards Nicmike!

Not that it's relevant now, but what's the build date on your truck?

That may be the one way clutch that grenaded on you. Ask me how I know...

If it were me, I'd do one of two things depending on budget:

1. Buy a BTS transmission and never have to worry about it again. The man dares you to break his transmission and will fix it if you do.

2. Buy an HD4R100 and either a BTS or John Woods valve body.
Build date is 11/00. Mechanical Diode....

Seems to be pieces of the snap ring in the pan, though.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on what I've seen during my trans build, I'd say that's a safe bet. Since you lost third gear it may very well be the retaining ring that holds that sub-assembly clutches in place.

Razzi called a dealership hook-up he has before I embarked on my trans build to price out the HD4R, it came back at $2450 IIRC. Based off what I'm seeing in your signature for mods, I'd be tempted to pick one up, throw a PI Stallion converter in it along with a JW or BTS valvebody and be happy with it. The main reason I didn't go that route is I an obscenely hard on my rig, and the go-fast stuff has started spinning a wee bit out of control. Needed more beefy internals (billet goodies, etc) and I have a friend (mueckster on here) who is helping me building it at his place. Unfortunately, it's also the last build he says he's doing due to time consumption and schedules matching up. I went this route over JW or BTS purely for cost, I'm getting what amounts to the exact same trans as JW TowMaster but for a parts and donor trans cost of $3200 compared to $5000 for the JW.

Razzi has had his HD for over 200k now IIRC with no issues whatsoever for what it's worth.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod

Mine was October 2000...

I have a good relationship with my local dealer, so maybe they could ship it to the dealer closest to you and I could use my account to get you better pricing.....?

Another option is to check and see if a local shop can rebuild for a reasonable price. I'm not sure how much DI performance would charge for a build, but should you decide to go that route or maybe someone in Houston; I'd be more than happy to meet you half way or the entire way.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
.... I'd be more than happy to meet you half way or the entire way.
Ditto, always up to meet another local-ish member!

Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Just found a HD4R100 at Truck City Ford in Buda, TX (about 30 miles from me) @ $2650 and $2877 out the door. He said he has sold a ton of them the last few years. I may pounce on it. Not the lowest price I have found (overall), but it will likely be the best piece of mind I will get if I go that route. Waiting for payday on Friday...

Allstar out of Denver quoted me $2175 shipped, and Shiftright out of Chicago quoted me $1900 shipped. Both can get it here in two days, AND their builds are almost identical to the HD4R100 Ford is putting out. I asked for all the specs, and they were happy to give them to me. Downside to those two is sending the core back and getting it prepped/packaged.

Razzi, did you take your core with you to the dealer when you picked up yours?

Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Razzi, did you take your core with you to the dealer when you picked up yours?
Mine was done at the dealer, so they took care of it. You'll probably have to either borrow a friend's truck or get a trailer to haul it back. No sense messing up that nice interior you have

Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Got the old transmission out. Torque Converter definitely failed. Sounds like a hundred marbles rolling around inside of it. It is green and marked with a date in 2005. Sooooo, it is not the original TC, and possibly not the original transmission.

Lots of fun pulling the tranny on the ground. I don't see how anyone anywhere can get to the top bolt of the bell housing with the down pipe still in the truck. If you can, you are a superhero of some sort. Even a stock down pipe seems like it would make this impossible to pull off. I had to remove mine...

Old 09-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Pictures please?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

I was way too greasy to handle a camera today.

I did take the tranny and xfer case out together, but I separated them before trying to squeeze the tranny out from under the truck. I left the fluid in the xfer case also, because it is new fluid. No point in throwing it out to save a couple of pounds of weight in my opinion. To get the tranny out from under the truck, I moved/rolled it onto a piece of sheet metal and dragged it out. It wasn't coming out on the tranny jack. Too tall by about 6 inches, and my jack stands are maxed out.

For those that don't know, the dipstick tube is held on by that last top bolt on the passenger side.

Got the OTA cooler out. On an Excursion, you have the large bar under the front bumper that is supposed to keep cars from going underneath you in a collision. I removed this (6 nuts...BIG nuts) with my impact and dropped it away to expose the lower bolts for the cooler. Made it very easy to remove them, and will make it very easy for the install of the 6.0 cooler that is coming.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you have things under control. Hopefully I can get to 255K on my transmission. I added the 6.0 cooler last year. I had a heck of a time finding the 1/2" line locally but I'd bet it's a different story down there.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4R100 dead after 255k

I'm thinking about a 6.0 cooler but then with 275k on the tranny I will probably just wait and do it all at once.

Quick Reply: 4R100 dead after 255k