1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Painting frames....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and my friends call em frame painters (people that tear down to bare frame and then never touch it again). Tearing a vehicle down is easy. Restoring/repairing/fabrication is the hard part and people get overwhelmed since they didn't have a true understanding of whats involved. These Tv shows have only made it worse.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:59 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Second question. Were the frames on our trucks(48-56) painted when they were built? I have worked on dozens and never seen a scrap of paint on any frame...

Up here we are lucky, they don't really rust except for a bit on the surface. Road salt was not widely used til about 10 years ago so most old stuff is pretty solid.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
I cleaned and sand blasted the frame on this 56 pickup I'm doing, under the grease laden sections there was black paint from the factory, so I think if you are truly restoring it to original or street rodding painting the frame is part of the build process. It's true you don't see it unless you are under it but doing it you know you have preserved it for many more years. If it is completely disassembled I say why not do it.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It also keeps the frame paint manufactures workin.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess i'm lucky , frames don't rust much here I just repainted the section that shows when the hood is open.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:21 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In my case I thought they were coated in some way from the assembly line. After I blasted ground, and brushed off all the rust, I figured the bright metal areas would need some protection. I guess that was my original reason, but as time passed buy now I like the undercarriage to look as good as I can get it. IE I have a new tranny cover sitting in the corner to be replaced only because I don't like the way the original has been hacked up over the years and looks bad from underneath. And back to the frame, last but not least, as a newbie I saw everybody else doing it, so thought it was supposed to be done.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that all of the frames were painted on our trucks, however, the manufacturer used the cheapest absolutely worst paint that was available. Not much better than coal tar and kerosene. It probably lasted long enough to get the truck sold off the lot. That is why most people don't see any paint on their frame. I have been to car shows, where a guy showed up in a pair of white coveralls, and actually crawled under the vehicles to judge them. Having said all that, if you have the cab off, paint the frame. If you don't want to paint the frame, that is your choice. I really don't like over restored vehicles, some look 10 times better than when they were new. Just my opinion.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I think it is all about starting with a clean slate. I think cleanliness is a big factor, and I am wishing I'd have done it from the start as every time I get under the truck to loosen a bolt, etc, I get an eyeful of Arizona dust, and it stings!
I actually got poisoned from the grit/ bugs/ dead animal mix as a result. When I was under my truck taking out the tank, a whole heap of ancient dirt, spider husks and insect wings and heads fell on my bare skin. A mosquito happened to get me around that time and I ended up a week on crutches with cellulitis from being poisoned by the germs. Plus, as I think others have suggested, it makes you feel good.

On the other side of the coin, I totally agree, Tim, that a LOT of projects don't get beyond the strip down and sand blast of the chassis and there it stops as guys contemplate the enormity of putting it all back together. I thought that would happen in my case as well, as I have had a couple of epic fails with cars in the past and not followed them through to driver stage.

My plan was to get it on the road, have some fun, and then maybe a year down the track, tear it down and do it properly, but once she is on the road, I really don't think I will want to do that.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:45 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I think it started when a "frame off" restoration became the benchmark of a first quality build. How do you prove a frame off build? Paint the frame parts that couldn't be painted any other way. That's my best guess story and I'm sticking to it!
I dislike working with dirty greasy ugly parts, so the first thing I did when I got my panel was to scrape and scrub down the parts of the chassis I could reach, then I painted then to keep them from getting ugly again. Result is my truck's frame is painted back to the firewall. The rest is just been powerwashed. Fortunately since my truck came from NM it only has a light surface rust on it.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 AM
dadisbroke
New User
Painting frames

Originally Posted by tinman52
Kinda bored and letting my thoughts ramble.......

Why do we paint the frames on our trucks? Seems like everyone who gets an old crusty truck project, first thing they do is rip it all apart and paint the frame. Some of those trucks get finished, but many end up in limbo or get sold again because the owner is overwhelmed by the scale of the project.
So why is it so important to paint the frame? Most have survived just fine unpainted for half a century or more. 90% of the frame will never be seen(on pickups) unless you crawl underneath. On flatbed trucks I can see painting at least the rear of the frame as it is exposed.
I'm most curious how this practice got started.....did someone important at some point decree that all frames should be

disclaimer: this post is an attempt at levity.......
Well living here in the rust-belt it makes sense to try to get ahead of the moisture, ln the immortal words of Neil Young rust never sleeps

Old 09-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think most people paint the frames because it looks nice.

But the other part of the question... I agree with c91x. The disassembly is pretty much free and easy. A few cans of satin black spray bombs and a case of Bud Light. Oh yeah! Then the reality of the situation sets in and some get overwhelmed. Its unfortunate that it happens so much.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dislike grease and rust also, I did a complete "frame off" in my tiny little shop. I would rather work on a project without all the dirty old grease and rust.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
I think it is all about starting with a clean slate. I think cleanliness is a big factor, and I am wishing I'd have done it from the start as every time I get under the truck to loosen a bolt, etc, I get an eyeful of Arizona dust, and it stings!
Exactly.

Originally Posted by tinman52
Second question. Were the frames on our trucks(48-56) painted when they were built? I have worked on dozens and never seen a scrap of paint on any frame...
Yes, Ford painted the frames with "chassis black". Here are a couple pictures from before and after our era trucks. Both pictures show chassis parts painted black.
http://d3310hm27mievn.galaxant.com/0...al-photos5.jpg
http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Ra...mbly-Rouge.gif

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
If the wife can get a new paint job so can my truck frame.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:27 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
First, I did not read the other posts in this thread. For me, I strip everything down to a bare frame, and start from the ground up. I think it's simply the perfectionist in me..... to a point of OCD.

Quick Reply: Painting frames....