1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F350 Lariat CCLB 6.4L Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F350 Lariat CCLB 6.4L Build

As promised, a new build thread for the new rig. Quick recap... Bertha (my F250) came down suddenly with a terminal illness, we traded her in and ended up picking Allison. She is a 2008 F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed w/ 6.4L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel. White exterior, Tan leather interior with wood grain accents. Ill admit I miss Bertha but driving home from work today I had to pass somebody and man did I love hearing that turbo whine and watch her roll some coal

Here are a few more pics of her.

Good news is I do have some plans for her, nothing major but mostly personalizing her. I've got some parts on order already to replace the factory headunit and some ideas for mounting my amp & sub, CB, HAM, lighting and siren. Gotta add cab markers because she looks a bit funny without them. I've also still got my brush guard that I never finished painting and it fits perfect along with the bed cap (although it doesn't match color wise). I havn't decided weather I want that on or not. Oh and my bed storage solution fits still so I may find a tonnau cover.

Some upgrades already done to the truck are DPF delete, the Flo-Pro which you can see in the under hood photo (although I'm not sure what exactly it does, I'll have to look into it more), Remote Start but I have to get a replacement remote. Its got an appointment next Wednesday to get that looked at and see if everything is there and working. HID fog lamps which are SWEET!!!! and I think thats about it really.

Improvements will be slow due to funds going to pay for this beautiful beast but the good news is there will be improvements. More good news and some slightly bad news. Got a call from the dealership I bought her from today asking me to stop in. Good new is somebody somewhere messed up and the bank gave us a lower interest rate then before. Like crazy low!! AND the dealership gave me even more for Bertha. Bad news is since the truck has over 100,000 miles (127,xxx) the bank would not let us finance the extended powertrain warranty (5 years, 100,000 miles). That kinda upset me because it was nice to have that in case something happened. However the dealership gave me a bunch of other free stuff (that I got in writing). So free state inspections for life, 3 month/3,000 mile warranty, free extra theft insurance, they are going to etech the windows for free. So I guess it kinda worked out because my payments are over $100 less so thats nice.

Oh and I still have the Edge Evolution CTS Programer for Gas Engines if anybody is interested PM me!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:14 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I look very forward to following this! At least you got some free crap out of the screw up. Was the dealer aware of the issues with your trade in?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
I just had another thought. Did you try calling edge and explaining your situation? They may let you swap for a diesel model.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Originally Posted by wizkid00104
I just had another thought. Did you try calling edge and explaining your situation? They may let you swap for a diesel model.
Yes they knew, I didn't try to hide it from them. Didn't want them to sell it to someone and have them get stuck with my problem.

I did not think about contacting Edge. I doubt they will but it's worth a shot, I'll definitely give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice looking setup! I will be watching for the updates!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:47 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Ordered a new remote for the remote start. Should be here in a few days then I can program it.

Parts came in today to wire in my stereo system. I'll try to remember to take pics as I go and do a full write up of what I do as go. I always forget to because I get to in to the project, maybe I'll write it as I go...

Don't have power and lights hooked up in my shed/workshop yet so everyrhing gets done at the computer desk like always, lol!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Very nice. What model head unit?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:38 AM
DGB3
Senior User
Pioneer AVH-X2600BT

Old 09-24-2015, 09:56 PM
DGB3
Senior User
So new remote is the wrong one apparently. I guess I need one with Canadian FCC numbers or something, IDK but thats what the guy told me. So sending the other one back and ordering the correct one.

Got the stereo installed. Here's a write-up of everything I did.

First off for my truck I used Metra parts 95-5812 (Dash Kit), 70-5520 (wiring Harness), ASWC-1 (Steering Wheel Control, Accessory Power, Factory Warning Chimes).

Merta 95-5812 Dash Kit

Merta 70-5520 Wiring Harness

Metra ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control

The headunit is a Pioneer AVH-X2600BT. Its got everything except for sat radio, which I wish I would have gotten (especially since this truck has sat radio) but I had this in Bertha and loved it so its staying.

Pioneer AVH-X2600BT

Basics: color match your wires butt splice, solder and heat shrink. I like to use male and female connectors in case I have to fix something or I change something it makes it easier to remove. Be sure to take your time soldering and make sure you have good solder!

Next it gets a bit tricky... For the steering wheel control module, *I STRONGLY SUGGEST GOING TO THE AXXESS WEBSITE* for an exact wiring diagram for your truck and headunit with complete instructions. Basically keyed power, ground, repin a few wires to spots 18 & 19 in the aftermarket harness: 19-ground, 18-connect to designated wire on module. I reused the power antenna and amp remote wires since my truck does not use these on the factory harness.

Now the headunit requires the parking brake to be set, released and reset in order to make changes in some settings and to view video. What I am about to tell you is not legal but oh well, *DO AT YOUR OWN RISK*!!! The system looks for ground, twice, after the vehicle has been started. I used a relay and a switch and the remote wire. basically the remote triggers the relay providing the first ground, this allows you to adjust some settings, then I flip a switch off and back on to apply the ground a second time to allow more settings and video on the go for the wifey.

*Quick side note, you also need Metra part # 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter (I completely forgot about this and will be ordering it along with a few other goodies down the road)

On the dash remove the 2 lower panels (on mine the cigg lighter and AUX input) and there is a 7mm screw on each side. Remove the screw and the rest of the panel pops off.

Install is pretty straight forward from here on out.

Put it all back together carefully not to bend any tabs and you end up with something looking like this...

I have also started to wire in my amp and sub sonic filter which I have hung behind the rear seats. I attached them both to a board and drilled a hole in the board and attached it to the truck where there was a preexisting screw hole (I think its for the power sliding rear window which my truck does not have )

For now my Rockford Fosgate Punch P2 will just sit in the box on the floor behind my seat until I order a Pioneer TS-SWx2502 which is a 10" shallow mount sub in a prefabed box from Pioneer. I may get another one down the road depending on how one hits. My P2 hits crazy hard and throws a sh** ton of bass and all levels so I will miss it.

I have also attached my USB/AUX extensions to my headunit. Another plan is a custom center console to fit in between the factory console and the dash to house my CB, HAM, Siren, Light Switches and USB/AUX extensions.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 PM
DGB3
Senior User
I should note also that installing this way does not work with the factory AUX IN or SAT Radio if you have it. There is another bunch of cables and whatnot you have to get and wire in for that stuff to work. My headunit does not have SAT Radio and I planned on using the USB/AUX extension I already had.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice looking truck!

I also checked out your website for Black Swamps Firearms. Looks like you guys make some awesome stuff! I love me some AR's!!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:17 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Nice job on the stereo! That head unit blends into the dash really well.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Thanks wizkid.

Ultrasks700, I wish that was my site/company. They are based out of Michigan, I'm in North Carolina. Currently I just work on stuff out of my home office, however I have been getting more work since moving so I may expand a bit.

Started a new project. Had some extra wood sitting around so I came up with an idea for a small center console to connect the dash to the factory center console. It will house my CB, Ham, etc. I do have some pics so I'll try to get them up later. Turned out good so far I think.

So few questions, I noticed my passenger mirror was moved the other day and was off track for the power fold and extend. I have got it back on track for the fold as per the owners manual but the mirror wont extend. It seems like it stuck on something. The manual said just to pull on it and its meant to be pulled on to get back on track, but I pulled pretty hard and it didn't budge. I don't want to break it and I don't want to take it in for them to tell me it needs replaced. Anybody have an idea what to do?

Next question(s), I want to get my brush guard painted and put on the truck. No clue what color to do. What do you guys think about that goldish color that Ford puts on the bottom of the tu-tone trucks? I was also thinking about bed lining the bottom 10" or so of the truck (great way to prevent rust and damage) and then painting that the goldish also. Does anybody know what color that is or the color code. I can't find it anywhere.

As always thanks for your help and input guys!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Ha, forgot my last question. Upfitter switches... My truck didn't come with them. Anybody know if there is anything out there aftermarket that can go where they would go that doesn't cost as much. I'm basically looking for I guess a blank plate that will fit so I can install my own switches.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Check here for bed liner in colors. I think Jeep Spice may look nice. They make a great product (IMO).

Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner

Not sure about the mirror....

For switches, I would take a look here: OTRATTW
A few guys have used these with amazing results. But you will definitely be putting some time in to get a clean installation. Sorry I couldn't be more help

Quick Reply: 2008 F350 Lariat CCLB 6.4L Build