Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lawdawg79 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:26 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flares on

Gotta make this a quick post, have to take the fiancee out to dinner and meet friends.

Ground rust down on bad wheel well to good metal. Prepped and painted 3 coats of rust bullet inside and outside the wheel well. Then got all the fender flares mounted. I was able to get the RB pretty far up inside the cavity to coat the inside of the sheetmetal. Should do me good through this winter, then once in Texas it wont be much of an issue anymore. I used some self tappers I had to do most of the mounting on the rear. I also have some rear fender well liners I am going to install. Im thinking I may be able to screw the lip on the flare of the bad wheel well into the lip of the liner, guess I will find out. I also got my new ESOF transfer case motor installed, and installed a new LED 3rd brake light.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:13 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get the grill and mirrors?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by jgilrfr
where did you get the grill and mirrors?
Grill from ebay, its an eautogrilles brand, mirrors from amazon.

Flares are also eatogrilles brand, about 250 for all 4

Grill was about 350 and its all metal, even the outer shell

Old 11-22-2015, 12:23 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by lawdawg79
What is this plug I found under the dash?
That's the connector for the Auxiliary Idle Controller. All trucks have the connector, few have the AIC unit. The red wire with yellow trace is a great place to get 12v switched power for accessories.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:28 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
That's the connector for the Auxiliary Idle Controller. All trucks have the connector, few have the AIC unit. The red wire with yellow trace is a great place to get 12v switched power for accessories.
So the red w yellow trace is key on 12v??? I need to tap power for my led light bar i installed today.

Which brings me to this. Removed factory fogs. That was a bugger of a job. Once they were unbolted i couldnt see any way to get them out short of removing my bumper to get them out. So i took my dremel and cut the lenses off to make them small enough to fit through the gap.

Then installed the 20" light bar in same location. I also put a gas cap/door cover on. That was easy peasy, just peel and stick.

The black and silver theme is coming along nicely. I have more in store so stay tuned!!

Everything i wanted to do to the front end is now done, except for getting the light bar wired. So the facelift is complete. Now to work on her *** lol.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:00 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Went and bought this little guy yesterday. My house is heated by a boiler and my garage has one little 3 foot wide radiator in there. Its enough to keep the garage in mid to low 50s but with all this work im doing i quickly grew tired of being cold. So for bout 40 bucks i picked this heater up at lowes. It really warms it up, been nice working last two days in shorts and a T shirt.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:02 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
That will make things a little bit more enjoyable!

Old 11-22-2015, 10:10 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
That will make things a little bit more enjoyable!
It really really does, i looked at the torpedos and the dual version of this one. But im cheap lol, its plenty for my garage. I go down and fire it up on high for 30 or so minutes before i start work. Then drop it to low and it stays nice and toasty. I figured its a good thing to have anyway, if we ever lose power during winter it will help keep the house warm. Went through that in 2006 after a horrible ice storm. We were without power for 7 days and the highs were in the 20s. Day 5 i got my hands on a generator.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 AM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Lawdawg there is a constant 12v power right at the relay boxes under the brake fluid container.
Solder on looped connector to relay to light bar. Relay to switch inside cab.

Also some auxilary courtesy wire in that area to run into can.

Worked great for me. Thanks to SkyskiJason

Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
I have my relay and switches, I just havent ran that part.

I just got the light mounted yesterday and ran the two wires up to the Power distribution box under the hood and stopped there.

So I can easily pull power and jump in or out of the access hole in the firewall.

Just gotta decide what to doski

Making a Rural King and maybe Harbor Freight run in a few minutes to pick up some more supplies for the project. Ran myself out of electrical connectors lastnight.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
A few more pics

Well todays running to get some paint for the truck turned into all day of running around. For example while at rural king i found the same heater i bought saturday at lowes for 23 bucks cheaper at RK, so came home, boxed it back up, returned it, then back to RK. Then to lowes because they had rustoleum cheaper there, then back to RK cuz they had acetone thinner there. Felt like i was doing laps, but im cheap and will save a dollar wherever i can. But heres a few pics of the LED tails and 3rd brake. And another good shot of the truck as it sits now. Going to get the LED bar wired in and call it a day.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:27 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
LED bar wired up

Got the led light bar switch installed and the bar wired up lastnight. But I messed something up somewhere, my airbag light keeps going on and off. Its mostly on, but sometimes flickers on/off. too tired, too long of a day to look at things tonight. So I will see if I can find a loose something tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
I'm assuming that you used a relay. Where are you getting power for your relay? And where did you ground the relay?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 PM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
I'm assuming that you used a relay. Where are you getting power for your relay? And where did you ground the relay?
I bought a prewired relay/switch combo and just followed the instructions. I just found a bolt underneath the dash i grounded it to. I think its one of the bolts that holds the parking break release. Jumped the power for the switch light off the line behind the headlight/dimmer switch so it comes on w dash lights. Main power i just ran from the + Battery post.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Sounds legit to me.

Quick Reply: Lawdawg79 Build Thread