Jailbar woody wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It looks like maybe the woodie was in neutral and that allowed the rear wheel to roll up the fender of the car, what car is that? It looks like GB saying WTF? to the cop. Cool drive by pic!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM
jalopy45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the woodwork was interesting, maybe a 3 door? and it's the only vintage Jailbar woodie I've seen.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks! That as an excellent photo. The only other jailbar woodie I have seen a picture of was built on a modern jeep wagoneer chassis an it was really fancy with chrome grill and wheels. This one looks really close to what I'm doing. I wonder what the story is behind the truck. I guess a bunch of them were in use in New Zealand during the war. Now I'm gonna go back and study that picture! Edit: Right behind the driver's door is that a slider window?

Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM
jalopy45
Senior User
I'll check with some friends in NZ and Australia if they have any pix. It looks like a slider window with curved section at the rear fixed? Lots of variations during after WW2 using these trucks. The Aussies had a fleetside box and most built here during WW2 had fold out windshields.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:55 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Judging by the fuel fill location this could have the fore and aft mounted panel truck fuel tank. Another thing is the rear fenders don't look like jailbar pickup rears as they don't crown back inwards towards the body. Maybe they are '38-'39 type?

Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM
jalopy45
Senior User
40-47 Panel fenders? I've sent an email to the Ford Motor Archives about the body, but reply yet.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Darn it's been a long time since I was able to work on the ol' wagon. Today I was caught up with work and chores and so I spent a good half day on my rear sill replacement. It got to be pretty complex to make it look intentional. This was a big mistake on the woodie without plans. I felt the original sill was simple and strong but as mentioned before I just couldn't get the lines from the side view to wrap around the corner with that sill piece below the doors (or tailgate if I went that way). A lot more pieces and a lot more fitting this way, but it will work out I think. The 4" x 1" flat piece of maple that runs across in front of the doors is set in dry for now 'til I figure out the weatherstripping. I routed in the 3/8" angle iron brackets in so they'd be flush with the cross piece or threshold. I used a 3/8" stainless carriage bolt through the bracket, the maple, the 3/4 treated subfloor and a full roughsawn 2x8 below the subfloor that's bolted to the frame rail extensions I installed a year and a half ago. Time flies! The 3/4" fir t&g flooring will butt into the new 1" maple threshold. I predict I will later curse this detail when I'm sweeping sand out from the rear floor, but I like the look anyway. I have all the 2" eastern maple and the panel material for the barn doors and since they will be built in the wood heated cabinet shop, they just might happen soon. Cold as heck in the woodie shop!

Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
It's always fun to see when a new edition comes out in this saga!

Nice-looking fix!

Thanks, GB!

Pop

Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 AM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Any work getting done is a step forward. Looking good too. How are you making out with that stuck block you are rebuilding?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:40 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SumDayDryvr
Any work getting done is a step forward. Looking good too. How are you making out with that stuck block you are rebuilding?
It's pretty close. New rings and new valves with reground seats. Bought a couple nos pistons because two were wrecked pounding them out. Ready to install flywheel, oil pump and pan. Heads are cleaned and painted ready to bolt on. Still waiting for weather to moderate a bit as my fingers get numb in the unheated shop after about 20 minutes of wrenching. Coming weekend looks warmer! With the recent snowstorm my employees were no-shows so I worked on the rear barn doors for the woodie yesterday in the warm woodshop, which I had all to myself.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:29 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's good to hear progress reports. GB, did you ever do the Bonami trick on a tired smoking engine? I've heard old timers say it would re-seat the rings.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I've heard that bon ami trick but with the old one cylinder farm engines. Closest I've come is lapping valves with comet and motor oil mix. Then there was honing a 4 hp evinrude with a foam paint brush with 320 grit wet and dry paper stapled to it. Today I snuck some time to assemble the woodie's barn doors. Pretty straightforward compared to the curves in the forward doors, but it will be nice to have them behind me. No pun intended....

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The doors look good. You are making better time on the flat head than I am with the Y block, very good to see your progress.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:06 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
The other side to being so busy at work that I can't find much time to work on the woodie is that all kinds of parts have been flowing here on the UP$ truck. Got four 6.50 x 16s and tubes this week, clutch kit the week before, a couple more landcruiser door latches, alternator bracket and a few more things. So yes, I'm going 12 volt negative ground.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh oh, boughten bracket, does that mean cheby alternator?

Quick Reply: Jailbar woody wagon