To fix? Or get a rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:01 PM
jonnydz
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To fix? Or get a rebuilt?

Hi guys I need a little advice. I have a 99 f250 lifted 8 inches on 37th. It was hesitating the other day so I thought it was a coil pack or spark plug issue. It turned out it was although they have all been replaced in the last three thousand miles. I found oil in one of the spark plug holes fouling the coil pack. After I cleaned up the spark plug hole and put a new coil pack in it ran fine. I checked two other spark plug holes another one had a small amount of oil and a different one had some radiator fluid in it. It sounds to me like I would need to do valve cover gaskets and head gaskets. What do you guys think? This truck gets driven less than 3,000 miles a year towing some four wheelers, going off road, and taking a boat every once in a while back and forth to the boat ramp. The truck has a hundred and sixty thousand miles on it and otherwise is in great shape. So I guess my question is is it worth just repairing the gaskets or should I put a freshly rebuilt motor in off of ebay? What are your guys suggestions thank you

Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 PM
frankyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnydz
Hi guys I need a little advice. I have a 99 f250 lifted 8 inches on 37th. It was hesitating the other day so I thought it was a coil pack or spark plug issue. It turned out it was although they have all been replaced in the last three thousand miles. I found oil in one of the spark plug holes fouling the coil pack. After I cleaned up the spark plug hole and put a new coil pack in it ran fine. I checked two other spark plug holes another one had a small amount of oil and a different one had some radiator fluid in it. It sounds to me like I would need to do valve cover gaskets and head gaskets. What do you guys think? This truck gets driven less than 3,000 miles a year towing some four wheelers, going off road, and taking a boat every once in a while back and forth to the boat ramp. The truck has a hundred and sixty thousand miles on it and otherwise is in great shape. So I guess my question is is it worth just repairing the gaskets or should I put a freshly rebuilt motor in off of ebay? What are your guys suggestions thank you
I have the same issue.
I am going to pull my valve cover and replace the gasket. And than that problem should be solved. And its cheaper then a rebuild.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
If this comes to using a reman'd engine contact your Ford dealer first----they're fair priced, come with national warranty and make this sort of thing so much easier than eBay etc.