6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bike Rack/Holder on Tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bike Rack/Holder on Tailgate?

Has anyone ever tried to mount a bike rack/holder to their tailgate? I've seen one called the Tail-Gator which I couldn't use with my Extang Solid Fold. I'm looking for a way to carry 3 bikes on the tailgate because when I haul my RV, I'm not going to mount them to the RV bumper (heard to many horror stories). Also, I keep a generator and large Pelican Case with towing equipment and tools. Plus my Extang is the toolbox edition that sits behind the toolbox and prevents me from fitting bikes in the bed.

I've see a bunch of bike racks from Allen Sport, Hollywood, Yakima, and Thule that attach to the trunk of cars and back hatch of SUVs. I'm wondering if there is a way I could attach one of those to my tailgate.

Does anyone think the moving leverage of 2 or 3 bikes that weight about 20-30lbs each could potentially cause damage to the tailgain? I wouldn't think so because Ive used these types of holder on car trunks and can imagine they are held on better than our tailgates are.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:23 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I built my own rack that is attached to the rear bumper of my camper, holds generator, bikes, grill, cinder blocks, ez up, etc...

But, I'm very tempted to order a roof rack system. They make no drill roof rails that accept bike mounts or cargo tray and they're nice. So,,that's the direction I may go for bikes. My kids are entering the teen years so their bikes are getting bigger....

There may be a way to use the Thule/Yakima bike rails across the top of your bed cover, using the truck sides/bed top as a mounting surface for the universal rail mounts.

If there's no product out there, you may be able to make something that uses those stake holes in the bed rails.

Some folks use a front bumper bike rack.

Good luck

Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 PM
baerpath
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if bought or made but I saw a bike rack mounted in the stake pockets with one bike on either side so it held four total. Looked almost like a ladder rack repurposed

Old 08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I built my own rack that is attached to the rear bumper of my camper, holds generator, bikes, grill, cinder blocks, ez up, etc...

But, I'm very tempted to order a roof rack system. They make no drill roof rails that accept bike mounts or cargo tray and they're nice. So,,that's the direction I may go for bikes. My kids are entering the teen years so their bikes are getting bigger....

There may be a way to use the Thule/Yakima bike rails across the top of your bed cover, using the truck sides/bed top as a mounting surface for the universal rail mounts.

If there's no product out there, you may be able to make something that uses those stake holes in the bed rails.

Some folks use a front bumper bike rack.

Good luck
I've heard bad things about mounting bikes to Travel Trailer bumpers. I would love to put them on my Extang Solid Fold, but I'm just concerned about how the Extang attaches and if the plastic clamps would withstand the side to side swaying motion the bikes would present. I thought about making some L brackets to secure on the inner bed rail and extend out beside the Solid Fold cover. That would provide me a mounting solution for crossbars....

Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 AM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 AM
camperboy
Junior User
Never heard of one on a tailgate. They do make racks that would go on the trailer tongue and hold the bikes over the propane tanks if that would work for you. Other wise a roof rack or custom mounts over the truck bed.

I carry bikes on a Thule hitch mounted rack on the pinbox of the 5ver and then a canoe on a Yakima roof bar and a T in front hitch. It is quite the sight.

I'm not a fan of bikes on the rear of a RV either for a few reasons.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:00 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
why not put them inside the RV while you're getting to where you're going? Just curious.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:16 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
why not put them inside the RV while you're getting to where you're going? Just curious.

That is what we do. I bought some cheap bike fork mounts on Amazon. I plan to install them on the bottom of the kitchen table seat bottom plywood. I have seen someone else mount three bikes over the kitchen table like this.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
Seriously? You're asking ME that question???

I'm an engineer....so therefore, everything I do needs to be overly complicated in it's design, lacking common sense, and barely functional (for the first 3 prototypes). Then, after spending far more than I planned and completely redesigning it 12 times, I'll end up scrapping the project..labeling it "cost prohibitive" and just putting the bikes in the RV as mentioned.... Damnit man, let me go through my process!!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by IronCobra

I'm an engineer....so therefore, everything I do needs to be overly complicated in it's design, lacking common sense, and barely functional (for the first 3 prototypes). Then, after spending far more than I planned and completely redesigning it 12 times, I'll end up scrapping the project..labeling it "cost prohibitive" and just putting the bikes in the RV as mentioned.... Damnit man, let me go through my process!!!!
LMAO!! I'm not an engineer by trade, but according to what you just wrote I think I'm highly qualified. My wife would even say I have a masters degree in over-engineering things. LOL! !

Old 08-21-2015, 10:44 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Originally Posted by IronCobra

I know how that goes... Please continue!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I've been thinking on this since you posted it. I think something on the tailgate even if available, would limit turning to some extent. Bedrail or stake pocket mounted would be great,..................but it appears that the Extang cover covers the stake pocket holes, making that more difficult, at least if trying to go the no drill route. If you don't have a super expensive toolbox you could drill holes in it and bolt fork mounts to the top, then stash the wheels under the cover. Or put the bikes in the trailer. Mine ride in the trailer.................................but my buddies and I may have a problem.

There's 4 more in there facing rearward too.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 PM
razehm
Senior User
I would also like to see a solution for this. We take six bikes with us everywhere we go even though he have room in the bed of the truck I would like to put some of them somewhere else. Putting them on the bumper of the camper puts too much stress and will wreck that bumper. There isn't a lot of room by the propane tanks. You can't put them on top of your camper either. Only other options I see are something across the bed rails or put them on the front of the truck like city buses do?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:23 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
I've been thinking on this since you posted it. I think something on the tailgate even if available, would limit turning to some extent. Bedrail or stake pocket mounted would be great,..................but it appears that the Extang cover covers the stake pocket holes, making that more difficult, at least if trying to go the no drill route. If you don't have a super expensive toolbox you could drill holes in it and bolt fork mounts to the top, then stash the wheels under the cover. Or put the bikes in the trailer. Mine ride in the trailer.................................but my buddies and I may have a problem.

There's 4 more in there facing rearward too.
You got some sweet bikes there my friend. Do a lot of downhill? How do you like the Fox front shock? I've been running Marzocchi forever

Old 08-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I carry my bike or bikes inside. If a fool crashes into me I don't want 6k of bikes ruined.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack/Holder on Tailgate?