Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 PM
ga2015f150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB

Have had my 2.7 EB Lariat 4x4 for 5 months and put 6k miles on it. Really like my truck EXCEPT that I have had 4 sudden loss of power incidents have not been able to be diagnosed to date. Each incident was similar in that they happened 3 - 5 minutes from leaving home for the first time in the day. Each time the engine cut out without warning under moderate hard acceleration going through 40-50 mph. Just silence in the engine, with a whole lot of unrelated warnings flashing on the screen. Then stop, put it N or P. start up and no issue. After it happened the second time I took it to the dealer (exactly 3 months ago today) they did a read out of the diagnostic computer with nothing found. 4 or 5 weeks later I had it happen again and didn't go back to the dealer. This morning it did it a 4th time and I went back to the dealer. Same result - nothing found in the diagnostic read out. One can imagine scenarios which could be serious if the power quit at the wrong time.
I don't know what to do next, other than I am considering spending some money to mount a recording video camera in the truck to record the dash to provide evidence to take to Ford of what happens. Any ideas about this situation?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:57 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I wonder if this could be traced back to the auto start/stop feature on the 2.7L engines.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I wonder if this could be traced back to the auto start/stop feature on the 2.7L engines.
That was my first thought as well. I think the video camera is a good idea. And, if I remember correctly, several recalls have been over similar instances, so Ford should pay attention. Given that, I would get Ford involved. I think there is something in the owner's manual about how to do that.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you remember what any of the "unrelated" warnings were? If they only happen when this occurs it's hard to call that unrelated though... I know new vehicles are complex computers with wheels, but often it still goes back to air/fuel/spark/compression, and more often than not air/fuel. Now this can be caused by often by the computers, but not always. If it's an external blockage somewhere the computer may not pick up a fault simply because the computer didn't fault, it simply responded properly to the inputs it was given. Perhaps there is some debris in the fuel tank or something in the air box. Does yours have a fuel pressure gauge? I'd def keep an eye on that and see if you notice any drops.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Smells like the OBD computer might be losing power. Maybe a loose power connection.

Any problems with air/fuel/ignition "should" trigger some sort of code in the OBD. However, if the OBD is just losing power, it could just be a power interruption to the OBD itself.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 AM
ga2015f150
Freshman User
GlueGuy, momentary power interruption to the computer module(s) does seem likely. That would explain why no diagnostic error codes are reported.

I opened a case with Ford corporate as of this morning. Will post what happens next. I am going to hold off spending money on a recording camera set up for a few days at least.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:23 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Just take a picture with your phone when it happens. It's nice to have some sort of documentation on these things. Also with your engine I would try running in Tow/Haul mode. I think that mode disables the start/stop feature.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM
ga2015f150
Freshman User
do not think it is a Start Stop mode issue

Do not think it is a Start Stop mode issue. A lot of people don't realize it but you can disable the Start Stop mode right from the dashboard. Just scroll all the way to the right in the options and you come to settings. Then go down to advanced settings then select vehicle and one of the choices is to disable auto engine off

Old 09-01-2015, 09:43 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Ford is having quite a few electronic issues similar to what you describe. What the dealer has been doing is checking and clearing any codes found then releasing the vehicles back to the customers. One such customer was called, dealer said they tested hardware, no problems, cleared codes, truck fixed, come and pick up. He did and before he could make it out of the dealers lot, alerts, warnings again, nope not fixed. Dealer tech said sorry, I can only do what Ford tells me to do.

Wouldn't be alarming if it were just happening to entertainment system, but driving, engine, steering, drivetrain, brakes and safety systems are involved. I'd certainly be concerned if I had a new truck.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:38 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You could have a wiring harness thats chaffing and shorting out the communication network. The most common location I have seen is under the seats.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM
2.7Eco
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed, but I have zero issues like that. No clunking in the transmission either. 6000 miles so far, and fingers crossed.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:32 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by AbitaPro
Ford is having quite a few electronic issues similar to what you describe. What the dealer has been doing is checking and clearing any codes found then releasing the vehicles back to the customers. One such customer was called, dealer said they tested hardware, no problems, cleared codes, truck fixed, come and pick up. He did and before he could make it out of the dealers lot, alerts, warnings again, nope not fixed. Dealer tech said sorry, I can only do what Ford tells me to do.

Wouldn't be alarming if it were just happening to entertainment system, but driving, engine, steering, drivetrain, brakes and safety systems are involved. I'd certainly be concerned if I had a new truck.
I'd like to know where you got this information. I have a friend who is a service writer and his shop has see very few issues so far.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I'd like to know where you got this information. I have a friend who is a service writer and his shop has see very few issues so far.
Same with the dealer that I do business with as well. I bent my buddies ear one day and he stated that he hasn't had hardly issues and none of any seriousness.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Scrabcakes
New User
I've had my 2.7L Crew Cab for about 6 months now, 14k miles (yeah, I get around), and I never turn off the Auto Start/Stop. I've never seen anything like you describe.

It's funny with the Auto Start/Stop; I just got my '85 F150 to stop stalling @ idle, and then bought this truck for my wife and I didn't know about the Auto Start/Stop until we were on the way home from the dealer. I almost turned the truck around when it automatically turned off, Lol.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 AM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Seems Ford is taking lots of interest in issues being reported, now whether the dealer can isolate the electronic malfunction, tough to say. Some issues have been traced back to the battery or an issue in one of the many wiring harnesses, or modules. If yours is throwing codes, that gives them something at least to work with. Hopefully they can track it down and provide a sure fix. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

Quick Reply: Potential serious issue with my 2.7EB