1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Transmission ratio questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Last Triumph
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Fred, the 5.14 was also available in the F5, that is the gear in Edith.
My issue is that I'll be running 30" tires, not the stock 36", taking it from just about tolerable, to just too damn low.

We have all sort of crazy regulations here in the UK about what can and what can;t be changed on a vehicle for it to retain it's original identity. It's original identity is very important in the UK as vehicles built prior to 1960 are exempt from lots of tests, inspections and often expensive road tax. You just insure and go.

If you mess with the chassis, or change too many items from the mechanical side, you also lose the identity and the vehicle has to go for a very thorough and expensive test which it will not pass as the moment it loses it's original identity, it has to conform with modern standards which would be impossible to achieve.

Hence I must have a truck with its original chassis, motor and trans to import and register it as an original truck. I can then swap out various components within reason to make it more user friendly - the axles and transmission for example...

Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Last Triumph
My issue is that I'll be running 30" tires, not the stock 36", taking it from just about tolerable, to just too damn low.

We have all sort of crazy regulations here in the UK about what can and what can;t be changed on a vehicle for it to retain it's original identity. It's original identity is very important in the UK as vehicles built prior to 1960 are exempt from lots of tests, inspections and often expensive road tax. You just insure and go.

If you mess with the chassis, or change too many items from the mechanical side, you also lose the identity and the vehicle has to go for a very thorough and expensive test which it will not pass as the moment it loses it's original identity, it has to conform with modern standards which would be impossible to achieve.

Hence I must have a truck with its original chassis, motor and trans to import and register it as an original truck. I can then swap out various components within reason to make it more user friendly - the axles and transmission for example...
I'm the one 38 Coupe was referring to that has the auxiliary transmission. It could be installed as correct and available for the truck, as it is time period correct.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Last Triumph
Freshman User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I'm the one 38 Coupe was referring to that has the auxiliary transmission. It could be installed as correct and available for the truck, as it is time period correct.
Thanks, it's something to consider. I imagine they're a rare old beast?

The prospect of a 5 or 6 speed modern and efficient trans does appeal though...

Old 08-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Sounds like an interesting project. Is the Last Triumph of thesamba fame? If so, welcome Andrew! Actually, welcome whoever you are!