6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

bought my first 6.0L - want to bulletproof her the right way

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
My son likes the BPD scan gauge considering he didn't have any gauges before. He primary uses this truck for towing now. I have the Terrminator scan gauge on my truck and hate it. It is so hard to read. I do have other gauges so I use it mainly for dc and icp and all. I'm not to good on computers or I'd have the AE program for sure. I where glasses now so that also makes reading the arero scan gauge much harder, that's what he uses.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Christmas present today - FICM from Circuit Board Medics. The lie-O-meter went up to 12.3 after a 50 mile test run, but we'll see what happens after hand calculating a couple of tanks. Might be a bit low since during this time of year she idle's a bit more. Can't wait for spring to come and hook up the 5th wheel and see how she goes pulling.

My current frustration/aggravation is the darn 4" down pipe. It's a tight fit in there and I have had to adjust it 3 time already because it will vibrate against the body and make that darn rattle in the cab at idle. Drives me batty. I need to smash a dimple in it or do what Toreador Diesel suggested and go with the 3 1/2" downpipe.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:18 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Still haven't decided on how to monitor EGT's - Pillar gauges or one of the cool smart boxes. But I've spent too much already so this will have to wait.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:08 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
How's your radio? There's a fancy Android radio floating around

Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
How's your radio? There's a fancy Android radio floating around
that thing has it all doesn't it 😎

Old 01-10-2016, 08:10 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
that thing has it all doesn't it 😎
Seems to be the gist of the reviews, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

I've found smartphones and their apps to be anything BUT friendly- especially for the occasional must use while driving.

Zoom, toggles, menus are often a kludge of locations and options, requiring the user to readjust their hand position, or visually locate the often too-tiny buttons.

Very little tactile ability built into the screens.

The android radios being touted recently seem to have decent capabilities, but it would be interesting to get hands-on to see how simple it is to navigate the screens and options- or even change stations- while in motion.

Another thing to consider is what happens if the vendor stops updating the system? I have a Toshiba 10.1 tablet from a few years back, when they were REALLY expensive.

Toshiba locks their bootloader and won't release it. They also stopped updating it some time ago. So I have a barely useful android tablet that was the "hot thing" at the time that is good for a few tasks, but is being bypassed by anything mainstream.

IMHO, anything android is good for up to 3 years. During that time you are at the mercy of the mfr. I've had periods of several weeks when a vendor updates the system and app vendors do not or vice-versa and it's unreliable or broken.

Rooting isn't always an option- the Toshiba is an example- and the specialized android/hardware of an android multifunction radio head unit would fall into that category it seems.

I was strongly considering one of the android head units, but considering the complexity and risk of modifying our aging trucks' dash, mounting, wiring, etc, I think if I were to change today, I'd go with a really good head unit from a trusted radio mfr and add a separate gooseneck mount to hold a smartphone or even a tablet to run Torque and any other apps.

Choosing stand alone gauges or Torque addons with something like the PLX systems (again, proprietary so gotta be careful) depends on the look you want and why you want to have the gauges.

I don't really like pillar gauges, they aren't my thing. I think they are nice, appreciate them in others' vehicles, but our Ex is a family vehicle.

I plan to use EGT to watch for problems- after everything is configured and tuned. So in my case, extra gauges below the dash with alarm lights is the direction I'm going.

You may go the same or different direction. All depends what you want to do with it and what style you're interested in

Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Your all over it John!

I've always favored the stand alone gauges. I guess my brain was trained/modified on the old steam gauges when I was learning to fly. But now the only time I Pay close attention to the gauges is when towing. So for this setup I'm leaning towards the Dashboss system. For @ the same cost as a 3 gauge pillar setup I can monitor my EGT's, Fuel pressure and all the other PID's. The tricky part will be getting one of my kids or wife to give up the IPAD while traveling. 😱😱.....Still have AutoEnginuity when I need to dig deeper.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

So Rich, when you drive with the econo tune on the FICM by it self do you notice a big difference in tuning and shifting, or are you using the TW tunes with it? Can't wait till you start towing, I'm going to get this for my son. Just want a safe set up with his 43 foot toy hauler.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:03 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Hey Chet,

I haven't drove with the FICM econo tune by itself. Always running a tune since the EGR was deleted. Currently running T Wildman's econo tune on the PCM.

I decided to get the Dashboss when it comes to monitoring. There are more PID's that I would like to monitor while towing with the 6.0L compared to the 7.3L. EGT's, FP, FICM this and that, battery voltage, ECT, Oil temp, etc.....

To do this with stand alone/individual gauges was just going to cost too much and I would need a lot of them...........

I was looking at a lot of the tablet style monitoring systems & apps. Torque Pro, CTS, Dashboss, Scan Guage, etc.....There were some great write ups on the available options here on FTE. Especially the one Rusty put together.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

I thought about buying a tablet and using TorquePro or ForScan. But, I would still have to add EGT & FP somehow. This option of buying a tablet and adding two gauges was going to be $500-600 easily. Most OBDII type monitors were lacking the ability to monitor EGT's & FP. Some do have the ability to add on sensors but the cost would easily go over $500 after all was said and done.

I finally chose Dashboss. For $365 you can purchase everything needed for the 6.0L. Including EGT's and FP. This even included everything necessary to relocated the FP sending unit away from the fuel bowl. Pretty much eliminating the sending unit problem from what I have read. You can also purchase it without the FP relocation kit for $335. Plus it has the ability to datalog and read DTC's.

http://dashboss.myshopify.com/collec...r-combo-bundle

The downside is, if you don't have an iphone or ipad that will be an additional cost. Plus with a stand alone monitor like gauges, you just hop in the truck crank it up and go. No messing with powering things up or turning apps on.

So far so good, the app is free and user friendly. It's a neat setup with various options like monitoring with a gauge style layout like torque pro or a digital type screen like this one.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Rich thank you. He dose have the scan gauge II but this is better. That's what he needs. EGT is a must for him with that 40 ft + toy hauler and tunes. He'll be towing it up to the Lake in May so this would be nice. So econo tune on FICM and TW Econo tune. Don't remember do you have the TS chip or Hydra? And can you do two EGT prob'with dashboss? I also just got him the BPD upgraded oil cooler, the first one they sold him did't do it's job. To small. I would of gotten an after market cooler but then you have to adjust the lines. He hasn't installed it yet so we shall see. Can't believe they are in AZ and sold substandard coolers for us here. His oil would hit 250 towing up hills with coolant in the 220's. Thank god for his scan gauge.

Forgot to say first link dosn't work.

Chet

Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I haven't data logged EGT's when towing yet, but unloaded the 6.0L EGT's do not climb as quickly or get as hot compared to the 7.3L. What gearing does he have? 3.73 or 4.10?

The hydra or TS chip is not an option for the 6.0L. There is only 1 company that I'm aware of that allows you to switch tunes on the fly. But it doesn't do it with custom tunes. I use the SCT tuner with Tony's custom tunes loaded on it. Mostly using his econo tune and tow tunes.

The Dashboss has 2 inputs for external sensors. You can hook up an EGT gauge to each one if you like but then that would leave the fuel pressure out. I guess you might be able to hook up a toggle switch between 2 EGT gauges. Ken at Dashboss would know.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I know that, a brain fart. He has 4.56 gears with 35 tire's. Surprisingly, he turns the same RPM I do in my dual, 7.3l 4.10 with stock tires. I think there was one rpm difference. But it made a big difference towing. He has a 4x4 and it had 3.73 before. He also has all the bpd parts and arp studs. Blue spring mod and now Clays boots. He keep blowing the top boot over thanks giving when we went out.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:43 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
.......................... He keep blowing the top boot over thanks giving when we went out.
Look into Dieselsite's turbo outlet boot.

http://www.dieselsite.com/60lturboou...ementboot.aspx

or possibly the retaining ring with Clay's boot.

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...boosthose.aspx

- make sure he's using new clamps as well, of course clean them up real well and the o'l hair spray trick... l.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Forgot to say first link dosn't work.
Got it fixed......thanks

Here is a thread about what others see for EGT's

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-you-see.html

Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

It works and thank you. I don't know his mileage but he stops for fuel when I have a half tank left. But I'm pulling his boat and he has the 5th wheel. I told him about the hair spray, funny you should say that. The last time he cleaned it up really good and it held. I'm not sure what he got but he got Clay's set up so we should see this year. He never had a problem since new till this year so he should be okay I think. Now with the tuner who knows when he gets it. I'll have to call TW for price.

Quick Reply: bought my first 6.0L - want to bulletproof her the right way