1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Replacing Rubber Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Rubber Floor Mats

I have an '85 250 4X4 351W 4 speed manual regular cab with rubber floor mats. I recently purchased/ordered a new rubber, actually it's probably vinyl, floor mat from a well know parts vendor. I followed their few installation instruction, spreading it out so the shipping folds can "relax" and I centered it in the truck per their instructions.

Now for the problem, basically it looks like crap. It is the correct mat ACCORDING to their website. There are wrinkles in most of the bigger bends of my floor pan. I know the smaller wrinkles will smooth out given a little time but I have wrinkles that stick up a good 2+ inches. I know these mats have to be trimmed to fit but the only way I can get rid of these large wrinkles is to split the whole mat and over lap the extra material. I'm not a pro at this but I have installed 3 of these over the years. I know I can use a heat gun a little to help it conform to the contour of my floor pan but that won't get rid of these large wrinkles.

I am thinking of purchasing another new mat because this one is junk. I would appreciate any suggestions on where I might purchase another mat, please DO NOT suggest LMC because theirs isn't working. I would also appreciate any and all installation suggestions/recommendations, and instruction you can give me. Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dennis Carpenter has one (part# E3TZ-1013010) but it requires the old mat for tracing any cut-outs. It may be a better quality mat....not sure.
If You go that route let me know how it works out...looking into it myself.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Thank you for the idea I'll have to look into that one. The problem for me would be the old mat. It was torn to pieces on the drivers side and when I removed it the old mat basically crumbled into chunks about the size of a dinner plate. I will try to contact them and see if it's possible to purchase one and do the cut outs myself. I will definitely let you know how it works out and again thank you for your input.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Some people scoff at this idea, but I have seen some pretty nice used ones at the junk yard. Any "like" floor pan model up until 1996 is a possibility. When you find a decent one, scrub it well prior to installation and be prepared to allow it to dry as the backing will likely get wet while the mat is being cleaned.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Floor Mat

The boneyard mat is a good idea...even if it's in poor condition but in one piece and could be had cheap enough, it would serve as a good template for a new replacement. The local "pull-a-part" sells them here for $10 (just looked it up)

Old 08-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Some people scoff at this idea, but I have seen some pretty nice used ones at the junk yard. Any "like" floor pan model up until 1996 is a possibility. When you find a decent one, scrub it well prior to installation and be prepared to allow it to dry as the backing will likely get wet while the mat is being cleaned.

That's an excellent idea, thank you. If I can find one that will fit and is in good shape I could clean it and use it but like you said Whats, I could at least use it as a pattern for getting a new one made. These are great ideas gentlemen and I really appreciate your input.

Last edited by Hogtrapper; 08-10-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2015, 06:11 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain. This is not a quick or easy process. I bought mine from Stock Interiors, but can't vouch as to whether it's the same stuff as other dealers.

New Ford Molded Carpet Interior Replacement Kit

The good news is, new vinyl flooring should easily last a few more decades. The bad news, of course, is that it has to be thick enough to do so.

I did a big ol' write-up on this almost three years ago. Here 'tis, should start on this page:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...roject-50.html

Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Thank you gentlemen I really appreciate your input. I contacted LCM the company I purchased the replacement vinyl floor mat from and they are unwilling to share the name of their vinyl floor mat vendor information with me so I can only guess it's china made since it fit so poorly. I'm still hunting a JY mat to use as a pattern to purchase a new one that will hopefully fit a lot better than the LMC junk.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
I got a heck of a shock today. I told LMC how unhappy I was with the vinyl floor mat I ordered from them. After giving them my order number they refunded to me the cost of the mat I ordered and cut up to make fit my truck with no mention of returning the mat I cut up. I won't order another vinyl mat from LMC but at least I have my money back so I can search for a mat that will hopefully fit.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, that IS a shock. Good to know there are still some places where customer service and satisfaction count!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am guessing that the well know parts vendor is LMC(likely Made in China)

As for using a newer series truck mat, that will not work since the 4wd shifter is in a completely different spot

Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
Man, that IS a shock. Good to know there are still some places where customer service and satisfaction count!

My thoughts exactly, I NEVER thought I'd receive that kind of customer service.

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am guessing that the well know parts vendor is LMC(likely Made in China)

As for using a newer series truck mat, that will not work since the 4wd shifter is in a completely different spot

You are correct sir...with both guess and likeliness. I am planning to search for a better made/fitting vinyl floor mat but the thought has crossed my mind to use spray in bed liner. I know I would have to do a ton of sanding/cleaning on the metal floor pans but spray in bed liner would definitely fit the contour of my floor board. Down side would be no insulation and no noise reduction. Any thoughts guys?

Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I did a Spray in Liner in my Bronco since the top is off 95% of the time. You just have to reroute exposed wires or run them in some sort of conduit(I used 3/8 brake line) then clamped it to the floor

See the tube running along the floor with my speaker wires in it

Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That looks neat and clean!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
I really like the way that looks DB. I think I will have plenty of room to put my speaker wires in some small conduit and keep it in the channel under the driver's side door "sill" out of harms way. If I go the spray in bed liner route I may look for some nice thick removable floor mats. Did you do the work yourself or have it done? If you did it yourself where did you purchase the spray in bed liner materials? How hard was it to do? How is the noise with spray in bed liner? Thank You

Quick Reply: Replacing Rubber Floor Mats