MT's Official August BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by TRBrew
Thanks Roy

I've only been to MAFB once, and that was after I Retired when I was traveling from Glasgow to Ft. Harrison on a Sunday for my job.

I followed the wife to her "hometown" (she grew up on a Ranch) of Terry and landed my dream job, I'm the Veteran Service Officer for the State, The American Legion and the VFW.

I found this site after I started trying to breath some life into an old pickup from her family's ranch... you know the type, "1 owner, 86,xxx miles, ran when parked, needs minor work...."

The sprayer is not included, but I have to try to find the tailgate and hopefully the plow... It's been sitting in Grandpa's yard (the original homestead for the ranch) for years and even though I'm a bowtie guy, I always loved the old Ford Highboys...

Cheers,
Oly
A good buffer......a little rubbing compound......a bottle of Mystery Oil.....She'll be good as NEW.........

Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Good morning Pat....Scott.....Oly.....Corey..
Wait a minute......who is Corey..

Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Morning Roy! He's that homeless guy that wanders in here every now and then!!!LOL

Beautiful camping spot you guys have!! Makes me want to buy a 5th wheel even more!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Morning Roy! He's that homeless guy that wanders in here every now and then!!!LOL

Beautiful camping spot you guys have!! Makes me want to buy a 5th wheel even more!
Thanks........Take care Sailor......

Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM
TRBrew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
A good buffer......a little rubbing compound......a bottle of Mystery Oil.....She'll be good as NEW.........

Well, I first made sure that the engine rotated and I've been trying to get her to start...

I had to install the three new battery cables (Positive from battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter and negative), a new solenoid, starter, cap, rotor, points & condenser. I replaced the wire from the distributor to the coil as well.

I thought the fuel pump was bad (never installed it, but I'm keeping it!) but I finally broke down and rebuilt the carb. The last time I was out at the Ranch (it is 35 miles from Terry and over 70 miles from the auto parts store I use) I put the carb back on and found out that it was tight because the fuel sprayed instead of dribbled...

It will rotate, but not fire... That last trip on Monday evening I realized after it didn't cough that I forgot my Haynes manual and remote starter once again...

Maybe this weekend I'll run back out to the Ranch and start troubleshooting the ignition system. I have not replaced the plugs or plug wires because it should run, might not run the best, but it should cough and try to run...

I have a coil in the garage... I think I originally purchased it for our old 1962 CJ-5... I never put it on... Is there a big difference in coils? Do you think I could use it for troubleshooting?

Oly

Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by TRBrew
Well, I first made sure that the engine rotated and I've been trying to get her to start...

I had to install the three new battery cables (Positive from battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter and negative), a new solenoid, starter, cap, rotor, points & condenser. I replaced the wire from the distributor to the coil as well.

I thought the fuel pump was bad (never installed it, but I'm keeping it!) but I finally broke down and rebuilt the carb. The last time I was out at the Ranch (it is 35 miles from Terry and over 70 miles from the auto parts store I use) I put the carb back on and found out that it was tight because the fuel sprayed instead of dribbled...

It will rotate, but not fire... That last trip on Monday evening I realized after it didn't cough that I forgot my Haynes manual and remote starter once again...

Maybe this weekend I'll run back out to the Ranch and start troubleshooting the ignition system. I have not replaced the plugs or plug wires because it should run, might not run the best, but it should cough and try to run...

I have a coil in the garage... I think I originally purchased it for our old 1962 CJ-5... I never put it on... Is there a big difference in coils? Do you think I could use it for troubleshooting?

Oly
Pull a plug.....put the plug wire on it.....groung the plug to the block....Crank it and see if there is spark........

Old 08-29-2015, 08:06 AM
TRBrew
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Pull a plug.....put the plug wire on it.....groung the plug to the block....Crank it and see if there is spark........
Yeah, the last time I was out there I had forgotten my remote starter and I've never been able to figure out how to ground out the starter solenoid on these old Ford's.

Although my Purple Heeler (she's a Red/Blue cross ) is awfully smart, her lack of opposable thumbs prevents her from helping me out too much and she was the only one out there with me.

After I made it home that night, I made sure that I put my Haynes manual and the box that had the remote starter, dwell/tach meter and timing light (I got them from a friend on another board) in the trunk of the car so I'd have them the next time I go out.

Cheers,
Oly

Old 08-29-2015, 08:12 AM
TRBrew
Freshman User
Morning Montana!

I'm headed out onto the Prairie to show a guy a butte named after somebody from his clan back in the late 1800's. We have a butte named "McClure's Butte" and it has an interesting story, well stories on how it was named.

1. There was a group of soldiers that had a Mountain Howitzer and when they were attacked by some Indians, the mule hooked to the big gun spooked and took off for the badlands... the soldiers scooted up a butte and dug rifle pits and waited out the Indians. The Officer in charge of the gun was named McClure, hence the name. Legend has it that to this day, there is a mountain howitzer out in the badlands...
2. There was a surveyor named McClure and his group was attacked by the Indians and they scooted up the butte and dug the rifle pits and waited out the Indians.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Good morning to all ye Fine folks.............

Off to the boat........going up the lake to a friends place for Breakfast.....

Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 AM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
Morning Montana.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:50 AM
TRBrew
Freshman User
Morning Montana!

Time to to make the doughnuts for those of us still having to work!

Oly

Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Good morning Montana, last day of August!

Roy, sorry to hear the camping trip got cut short!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Morning everyone!

Smoke has cleared out for a while.....nice!

Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
Morning Montana.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Good morning.......late........to all Ye Cowboys.......

The smoke has cleared up a bunch .......

Quick Reply: MT's Official August BS Thread