Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

secure storage ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 PM
gunnar01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, the boxes I am referring to are only 8" tall- giving you probably a 6" drawer. I don't know if you have a tractor supply where your at, but they do make a vertical tool box which is 24" tall by 24" deep and 10" wide which has 3 deep drawers, 3 medium depth and 3 shallow drawers. Deep holds my impact and sawzall, medium holds cordless drill size and shallow holds wrenches, sockets, etc. they are ball bearing drawers like your toll away with a single lid that covers all drawers and locks. I believe in the $300 park. Just another idea!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Heck, just drive the toolbox around with you.

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Heck, just drive the toolbox around with you.
Now we're getting creative
How about Free to good home.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  53.1 KB

Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about 2 or 3 tool box side cabinets laying down and bolted to the floor.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 PM
jeremiah77
Junior User
Van Accessories & Equipment For Your Work Van - Cargo Van Products | American Van

I've used these guys before. They've got lots of storage bins, etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DidieX
Yeah those are not cheap. I just configured one and its over 2 grand. There's a guy selling a couple of different used ones on craigslist not too far from me. I'm going to try to check them out and see if I can make it work. The only downside is that they are made of wood. Probably can be cracked open with a crow bar. With a steel gang box it's a little harder to break in.
My neighbor actually works for Truck Vault up in Sedro Woolley. Although they are wood, they are crazy tough. He had someone in law enforcement over the other day and I was looking at the box they put in and it's really nice.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 AM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
ROCKLAND CUSTOM CABINETS in Hauppauge, NY
Home Page

Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Now we're getting creative
How about Free to good home.
Attachment 121543
My wife hates dogs with a passion so it wouldn't fly, she's a cat person (to creepy for me). My 5 year old son loves them though.

Jeremiah, thanks for that link, they have the lowest prices by a wide margin on drawer units that I've seen so far. If the craigslist find doesn't pan out then I'll probably get one from them.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:43 AM
DidieX
Elder User
I picked up a used weatherguard model 338 storage drawer for about $300 on craigslist. I dropped it off at a welding shop to have a better locking mechanism welded on. Maybe a bar across the front with locks on both sides. Not sure yet what they're going to do to it but I hope it keeps the whole project to my target price of $500ish. Now I just need to upgrade my shocks to handle all the extra wait I keep in back of my ex. Not sure if I should go V or X codes. But that's for another thread......

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Put a blanket over the stuff, this way IF/when somebody breaks in again - they won't be prepared for what's underneath the blanket. If they can see a metal box, they'll show up better prepared, on their first attempt.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Put a blanket over the stuff, this way IF/when somebody breaks in again - they won't be prepared for what's underneath the blanket. If they can see a metal box, they'll show up better prepared, on their first attempt.
No matter which vehicle I've had in the past, I always covered my stuff in the back with moving blankets. I've been broken into once or twice and they've only stolen small electronics (ipod). They once went through my tools but didn't take any. Until the event that started this thread. I've been thinking though, if I leave it covered they may come back and break in again, maybe breaking a window instead of picking the lock like the first time. Then they'll realize they can't get anything and I'll be left with a broken window. But if I leave it uncovered they might not even other breaking in because they'll see it's too difficult. Might save me a broken window. But I've never read the mind of a thief before so I do't know which way to go on this.

Maybe I should change this thread to a poll.......

Do you cover your stuff in back of your ex or not? Has your ex been broken into with stuff covered or uncovered?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:25 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine hasn't, but with the antennas and lights on the roof/grille, it gives a thief pause...

Old 10-12-2015, 12:33 PM
DidieX
Elder User
*update*

Here's an update on this for everyone.

I purchased a weatherguard packrat 338 drawer on craigslist used for $300. It 48" deep by 40" wide and 12" tall. I had dropped it off at a local welding shop to have a better locking mechanism welded on and after waiting 3 months I finally got it back. That cost another $300 though. So I've spent $600 on this project so far plus some bolts and stuff to bolt it down in back of the ex. I haven't bolted it down yet, it's just sitting in back of the ex. I hope to do that one of these days.

And here's some pics because if not it didn't happen

It's still a little messy back there as I still haven't sorted everything out but it'll be neater soon.

Back to work......

Old 10-12-2015, 04:30 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For $300 they should have painted that damn thing for you too.... But other than that it looks great!

Old 10-12-2015, 04:35 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
For $300 they should have painted that damn thing for you too.... But other than that it looks great!
They just painted the lock/hinge mechanism that they welded on to match the rest. I kinda got it a little dirty when I set it up, it was after a hard days work and I only had an hour to do it. When I get a chance I'm gonna clean it up, when I finish organizing the rest of the crap/tools back there.

Quick Reply: secure storage ideas