Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Coolant flush/ Water pump install/ oil cooler r/r thiughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Coolant flush/ Water pump install/ oil cooler r/r thiughts

I just wanted to provide some thoughts for others who may be thinking of doing some work. This forum has helped me many times so I thought I'd give a little back. Not much, as this has been covered in many other threads, but maybe offer encouragement to other shade tree mechanics like myself.

Coolant Flush
- I followed Gooch's instructions except I didn't remove the passenger side block drain plug. Just couldn't get it so spent a little extra time just flushing the green out. Replaced it with 750k Delo ELC from Amazon.

DieselSite Water Pump w/ integral filter
- the old pump impellers had actually started to grind down into the housing. It was past time to go! Followed the provided instructions and went just fine. Not a lot of tips on where to splice into the system but I did it right where the hose bends to go into the top of the old pump. The connection ends up being next to the oil filler cap. No biggie. I also replaced the t-stat with their 205* one, their billet housing, and around the belt upper hose.

Oil Cooler
- while the water pump was off and the cool and drained, why not? It wasn't exactly hard just a bit of awkward angles to get the heads on and off.

Tips?
- figure out where 4 gallons of antifreeze go before you drain it. Some containers won't fit under the radiator and some places won't take it.
- clean the mounting surfaces carefully. I read somewhere an individual cracked the AL housing so I vacuumed out the bolt holes to make sure all the dust and grime was gone. I'm a bit of a worry wort.
- lube the oil cooler o rings with moly grease. Not just oil. And have some pipe clamps ready to push the heads back on. That wasn't easy.
- the oil cooler gaskets are delicate and a helper makes putting them back on much easier

All in all, not too bad of a job. So far I don't have an oil milkshake and I'm not making coolant. So, as it's been probably 2-3k miles later, I'll call it a success.