Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another bad mileage post!! Help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:35 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Another bad mileage post!! Help...

So I'm not looking to get 20 MPG, but I would like to get at least the 15-18 that most people are getting. Finally did a little hand calculation and I'm right at 12MPG highway. What i've done so far...New ICP, EBPV and rod, AIH delete, EBPV delete, all new o-rings turbo, pedestal, fuel bowl, Riffraff CVD fittings, stock exhaust, 3.73 gears, 295/70/18's.

Switched from edge programmer to TW chip. With the programmer I can hit 17lbs of boost according to the programmer, now with the chip, using the programmer as a gauge I can only hit maybe 15lbs of boost. From what I have read I think I am on the low side. My next step is to check for turbo leaks build me a diy leak detector and go from there. Also have Riffraff diesel boots all replace and tight.

I appreciate any ideas and suggestions...would like to remedy it before I drive back from TX to CO...

Thanks,
Art

Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's been plenty of talk here lately about the Chevy Volt
12 mpg sounds really low, I'm sure the 7.3 guys will be along soon with ideas for you.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
How's the EBPS and tube? They can spot up quite easily, especially with a tuner. If they clog they can cause a substantial drop in MPG. Also if you don't have dedicated gauges, I believe you'll only see XYZ on the tuner as the MAF is only calibrated for so much and the truck will start to defuel. Granted it shouldn't defuel with a programmer, but just a thought. I hit 28psi routinely with the GH chip set it 'F-off' mode.

Whereabouts in Texas are you right now? Started summer break last week and have nothing but time, so if you'd like a hand wrenching... Especially since I'm averaging 17.7-18.9mpg mixed driving around Houston. Something isn't quite right on yours, that's awfully low for freeway mileage. I'd start with the EBPS tube and see if it's clogged up. You've already mentioned doing a DIYA boost leak detector, so that is a good place to check as well. Fairly certain a boost leak would yield higher EGT's than normal, but don't hold me to that.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 PM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it helps, I only get about 13.5mpg. On the highway I get about 15mpg. I don't have a tuner but my signature shows everything else. I kinda always thought I needed a tune to get the mileage Matt is talking about. You're not alone Art!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
How's the EBPS and tube? They can spot up quite easily, especially with a tuner. If they clog they can cause a substantial drop in MPG. Also if you don't have dedicated gauges, I believe you'll only see XYZ on the tuner as the MAF is only calibrated for so much and the truck will start to defuel. Granted it shouldn't defuel with a programmer, but just a thought. I hit 28psi routinely with the GH chip set it 'F-off' mode.

Whereabouts in Texas are you right now? Started summer break last week and have nothing but time, so if you'd like a hand wrenching... Especially since I'm averaging 17.7-18.9mpg mixed driving around Houston. Something isn't quite right on yours, that's awfully low for freeway mileage. I'd start with the EBPS tube and see if it's clogged up. You've already mentioned doing a DIYA boost leak detector, so that is a good place to check as well. Fairly certain a boost leak would yield higher EGT's than normal, but don't hold me to that.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I can manage...I got free reign of my dads shop and all his tools. Figured I check for boost leak, and use his scanner to check the injectors, contribution test etc. Don't have real gauges yet, they are next after exhaust upgrade, and don't haul anything yet. EBPS and tube were replace a few weeks ago. Checked the manifold and the fitting to make sure they were not clogged..

JuanHuevos I do have a tune in fact 6 of them...doesn't matter what I drive in economy, street, daily still get 12MPG highway...and it looks like 11 in the city. Gotta be missing something just don't know what...

Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt

Keep in mind the 7.3 doesn't have a MAF. The 6.0, however, does, which suggests your 6.0 envy is showing. The 7.3 is just a huge air pump. The better the air is able to come in and go out, the better.

While the sensor itself clogs on occasion, the tube itself rarely does. It's the fitting at the exhaust manifold that plugs and leaves people wondering why their truck won't run right. I found this on both my 7.3 and 6.0 Excursion, as well as other trucks I've worked on. The tube and sensor were clean, but the fitting was well plugged.

If you're running Riffraff boots, you may have to cut them back to fit the lip at the end of the CAC pipe. I had to trim the lower boots at the intercooler and the boots where the Y pipe goes into the engine. They fit nice and tight now and are well clamped to prevent leaks.

I've also unplugged the wastegate on my stock 7.3 turbo as well as the 38R. The truck boosts better and is able to clear smoke much easier.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I recently found a leak at the uppipes- at the clamp just behind the exhaust side of the turbo- that cost me 5mpg-8mpg.

If you have the ability to log a WOT run, it can help identify where a problem could be.

Here's the thread about what I found, including an example of the logs I mention above: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15475588

I am also looking for better MPG, so I'm running taller tires (35's) and prepping for a tuner.

It does sound like you have a leak with the low boost.

One thing to keep in mind about boost. As boost increases, you are adding more air to the cycle. That means more fuel per cycle. You have to make better "use" of that additional/more efficient cycle if you want MPGs, otherwise you are just making more power.

While fun, more power and better MPG are competing goals. There is a sweet spot that balances our need for both.

I thought I was going to be 17-20MPG after the mods. I might still get there with the help of a tuner, but not there consistently...yet

I know you've followed my build thread and hope you have good success with yours, too. Be sure to share any tip and secrets you find, too!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
JUST FYI : MPGs seems to be a crap shoot no mater what power plant you've got. I guess I just always get the fuel guzzlers cause no mater what I own & whatever mods I do I NEVER GET the MPGs other post . I bought a NEW, 2000, 7.3, 3.73's, 5 speed stick, 4x4, Superduty Extended cab. As totally stock, got 12MPG.. After 15,000 miles, CAI, tuner,4" lift, 35"AT's , Got 12MPG BUT it was able to tow after the tuner

Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
JUST FYI : MPGs seems to be a crap shoot no mater what power plant you've got. I guess I just always get the fuel guzzlers cause no mater what I own & whatever mods I do I NEVER GET the MPGs other post . I bought a NEW, 2000, 7.3, 3.73's, 5 speed stick, 4x4, Superduty Extended cab. As totally stock, got 12MPG.. After 15,000 miles, CAI, tuner,4" lift, 35"AT's , Got 12MPG BUT it was able to tow after the tuner
I feel your pain. My OBS would alway get 16MPG no matter what...I did some logging with torque pro, as soon as I get the file figured out I will post it up. Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate everyone's input.

-Art

Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Gotta mess with TorquePro a little more, but in street tow on the chip, WOT several times, Max EBP 27.8; Low EBP 14.4. Just a quick run. Like I said doing a little tweaking as it seems the boost is not working on TP so checking my settings.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:01 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by agsmv1
Gotta mess with TorquePro a little more, but in street tow on the chip, WOT several times, Max EBP 27.8; Low EBP 14.4. Just a quick run. Like I said doing a little tweaking as it seems the boost is not working on TP so checking my settings.
On first screen, click the gear, then Settings. Scroll down to "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors"

Click the : (except 3 vertical dots) in the top right, "Add predefined set", choose "Ford(Incl PowerStroke)"

I had to change 'Barometer' and 'Torque converter slip' calcs, the rest seem okay

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
On first screen, click the gear, then Settings. Scroll down to "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors"

Click the : (except 3 vertical dots) in the top right, "Add predefined set", choose "Ford(Incl PowerStroke)"

I had to change 'Barometer' and 'Torque converter slip' calcs, the rest seem okay
OK, I re-did them and followed these your advice. Unfortunately vacation time got in the way of my troubleshooting yesterday...May have a chance today.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Have you ruled out a stuck caliper or frozen slide pin?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
If you want to log with TorquePro, I just posted these instructions in another thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15484059

Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
If you want to log with TorquePro, I just posted these instructions in another thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15484059
I just did that this morning...great minds think alike

I will check the caliper pins. Tempted to just R&R them any way. I'm sure it needs to be done and then I can check one more thing off my list.

Thank guys, I really appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Another bad mileage post!! Help...