My 2007 escape hybrid.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:23 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Morning everyone

Just light rain here in Newington.

300,000 miles fantastic.

Getting ready for a run to Maine for some lobster and steamers.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard pretty good things about Ford hybrids. In fact, I bought one myself. Haven't had much in terms of issues with it. Have about 107,000 on mine now.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Good evening everyone.

Very impressive T!

Originally Posted by jthorngate3
I've heard pretty good things about Ford hybrids. In fact, I bought one myself
Not sure about the newer models, but I believe they're all using technology licensed from Toyota. I believe they use the same type of planetary setup, and the transmissions come from Aisin. You don't hear of many hybrid problems, most of them seem to be bulletproof.

If only my Prius drove as well as a Fusion Hybrid!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:23 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
morning everyone

Tom, do I detect a flaw in the Prius? lol

Josiah, good luck tomorrow with the new truck. Looks real clean.

Have to clean up the wrenches in the back of the truck. I go threw the car wash on a regular basis and the exposed tool in the tool bag get sprayed on from the power of the wash. Going to have to change that set up so they stay dry.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:57 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tom
Good evening everyone.

Very impressive T!

Not sure about the newer models, but I believe they're all using technology licensed from Toyota. I believe they use the same type of planetary setup, and the transmissions come from Aisin. You don't hear of many hybrid problems, most of them seem to be bulletproof.

If only my Prius drove as well as a Fusion Hybrid!
AFAIK they are still using the same technology from Toyota, and yes, definitely still bulletproof. Ford seems to aim at a more "normal" driving experience though, which makes them less efficient than the Toyota's. At least the Prius anyway. I have to try REALLY hard to keep the car in electric mode, but it can be done. I still average anywhere from 36-42 on a regular basis. Getting that out of a mid-size car makes me plenty happy. I'm spending a lot more time on the highway as well, which takes away from when the car is most efficient. Just did plugs and an O2 sensor not long ago and the car seems happier.

Thanks John, I am definitely looking forward to getting it down here. Headed to the DMV in just a little while to get there for when they open. I have a feeling I will be leaving with a temp plate as opposed to a perm. plate because of the process of things. Oh well, at least it will be here.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Morning everyone

Another warm day here in the Nutmeg state, but low humidity. Ha!

Went to Maine yesterday and had lobster and steamers for dinner with a nice salad. Left Wells, Maine at 5:15 and got home at 7:30. Not that much traffic, and didn't see any cops. Got with a group of cars going 75 to 85 avg. speed most of the way back. Just got to love that F250. Zoom Zoom.

Today quiet just some grocery shopping for the week and home to relax.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ct diesel
Tom, do I detect a flaw in the Prius? lol
There are a few John! It's no secret that these things were designed as fuel sippers, and some of the compromises they made suck. It's got lots of road noise and the interior rattles a bit. Nothing huge, but it doesn't drive anywhere near as well as my '10 Fusion did.

Originally Posted by jthorngate3
AFAIK they are still using the same technology from Toyota, and yes, definitely still bulletproof. Ford seems to aim at a more "normal" driving experience though, which makes them less efficient than the Toyota's. At least the Prius anyway. I have to try REALLY hard to keep the car in electric mode, but it can be done.
This thing doesn't want to stay in EV mode either. The claimed reason is that it's more efficient to use power from the engine under many circumstances. The software won't shut the engine down over 46 MPH to protect one of the electric motors; the C-Max I drove a year ago would shut the motor off on the highway.

I see 51-52 MPG when I drive it. 46-47 when my wife does.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
In other news, my transmission started acting up while coming back from NH yesterday. O/D Off light started flashing and I lost power. Turns out to be an electrical short somewhere in the pressure control solenoid circuit. It cleared up after about a mile. I HATE intermittent problems.

We have a trip planned to northern NH this week, and I need to be able to pull my trailer. Mark K says the PCM in my 18-year-old car is smart enough to reduce power to prevent damage. So if I can't find the short this morning I'm going anyway.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:32 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Got some slightly better pictures of the truck after getting it home from Vermont today. Cruised pretty well for a 1ton down the highway at 75 or so.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Hello everyone...summertime is well underway!

Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Morning everyone.

Nice pictures. Clean for Vermont weather and age. Looks like it has good bones. Good luck with the truck.

Tom, I was just having fun with the Prius.

Speaking of fuel mileage. I have been putting Connecticut diesel in the truck for the past month because it was 5 to 10 cents cheaper, getting 17-19 mpg. Now Mass. is cheaper again and got 20 to 23 on Saturday.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Looks pretty nice Josiah!

You're probably the only one that has fun with it John, 'cause driving it sure isn't! It's not that bad though, and last night's fill-up was 9.01 gallons to go 450.1 miles. I'll probably keep it when I get my next truck, I really love how cheap it is to operate.

In other news, I found the problem with my Town Car.

Looks like she needs a new internal harness. I have plans in New Hampshire this week, so I hope she gets me there and back without issue. I'll be ordering parts and taking care of this next weekend.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:04 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Tom,
Glad you found the problem in that "White Whale" of a . Side note: that is one vehicle that has earned it's keep.

Electrical can get pretty tricky.

I went through NH this past weekend and it is packed by the beaches. Tourist everywhere. Still a great state.

On a lighter note where is MILES when I need him. He normally chimes in when Prius is mentioned. So I guess there are two of use.

Quick Reply: July BS