1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F4 Coleman 4x4, hunting unicorns with truckdog!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:13 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
1951 F4 Coleman 4x4, hunting unicorns with truckdog!

So to make a long story short we spotted a 51 F4 Coleman 4x4 on a sale bill about a half hour from home base. Pics were sent to Stu and a 2 week conversation followed. Thursday was sale day and Stu had made the trip to SD with the trailer in tow. Stu had come to his senses about 2 hours after we arrived at the sale. He said he was out. My son wanted to leave but I couldn't bring myself to leave without knowing what the unicorn would sell for. Well, we found out because I had the last bid. It was a great day for Ryan and myself and its always good to see Stu. I have been wondering if his plan all along was just to put me in a position to pull the trigger and bag the unicorn myself. Only Stu knows the truth. He will probably deny it was a ploy to let me take the shot. Pictures will follow as soon as my I T guy gets them loaded into photobucket. Stu will probably add some also. Thanks for making the turn and burn Stu, had a great time and more great memories!

Old 06-20-2015, 12:53 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
The word was "Ambivelance". I had run hot and cold on the truck since Mark spotted it. He and Ryan had visited it twice before the sale date and sent tons of pictures of the body and mechanicals. It's one of the straightest real working trucks I've seen. So I was hot and planned to attend the auction and haul it home.

But ambivelance set in again. I've read everything I could find online on Colemans, not really much out there, and asked Chuck and another fellow I've come to know a few questions. And Josh was no help, he'd have sent a transporter to buy the whole sale bill.

My ambivalence was rooted in the reality that I've got two M-Hs in process, and others waiting, that need attention. Add to that the strong interest that was being paid by the bidders to a 1956 Power Wagon, similar to mine that still needs a few key pieces, convinced me that I should focus on what I've got rather than add to the inventory.

So no longer ambivalent I told Mark and Ryan I was not a bidder. And to his strong credit Mark raised his hand. When Mark flinched at $500, 15 y.o. Ryan raised his hand for dad. I'll defer to them if they want to admit sale price.

Feeding off Mark's comment above, they are the correct ones to have saved this incredibly rare truck. They have many shared years ahead to research and sort out this one-of-one Coleman F-4. I'm glad I could be there to help, and thank the guys for a fun couple of days. Stu

Old 06-20-2015, 03:52 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Wow, that looks like a herd of unicorns. Glad you found the right one to follow one of you home and that both are pleased with the outcome.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Congrats, it sounds like it was a happening! We await pix.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
What a great score! It sound like you had a great time.
I would be interested in what you paid, but it is none of my business either.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:44 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Very cool!
It sounds like a fun time was had by all!

Stu, I like you description of your ambivalence. I often tell people that I'm "Passionately Ambivalent"

The truck looks awesome!
Bobby

Old 06-20-2015, 08:28 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Very cool!
It sounds like a fun time was had by all!

Stu, I like you description of your ambivalence. I often tell people that I'm "Passionately Ambivalent"

The truck looks awesome!
Bobby
Yeah, sometimes it gives me whiplash!

The auction did yield a near perfect 5 Star Extra driver's side door (lock/arm rest/etc) and a good looking flathead radiator. Total spent $34.60. The door has no rust, no dents outside or in, window mechanism works good, and the door handle is straight. With Meadow Green patina.

Mark and Ryan can describe their multiple 19.5" wheel and tire scores. First thing I heard out of Mark as I was walking to the back of the property was "I got dibs on the 71410". It's bad when guys start talking in Budd part numbers to ME! A 71410 is the unobtainium 19.5" single.

And Ryan, give the number again off the 19.5" Power Wagon single and I'll give you models and applicable years.

Then finally, Mark and Ryan can describe the adventure we had removing the non-correct headache board flatbed. Might it be, when the bed is flipped, they'll have the truck for free and be money to the good? Bet so. Jody will be so proud of her boys. Stu

Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What a field of dreams you Guys found. I too would
have tried to buy the all.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I know where that is, living where I have (Brookings, and now Le Mars) I think I've seen that row of trucks before. But can you enlighten me as to what being a Coleman means? I'm not familiar with that model/designation/etc. Doesn't look like it's from the Coleman outdoor company.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
I think I know where that is, living where I have (Brookings, and now Le Mars) I think I've seen that row of trucks before. But can you enlighten me as to what being a Coleman means? I'm not familiar with that model/designation/etc. Doesn't look like it's from the Coleman outdoor company.

Thanks,
Jim
It's a 4WD conversion.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:13 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Correct..Coleman was the company that converted the truck to four wheel drive. I am on my daughter's kindle so this will be short as I am fat fingering the crap out of this thing. Stu is correct about the 71410. Ryan spotted it and I called dibs. Had to buy a stack of used tires just to get the wheel. Rolling them to the van was no fun. After we won the bid on the Coleman the conversation shifted gears to what now? We decided on two trips. First the bed as it was not secure. Then switch to my truck and trailer for the f4. When the dude picked up that bed with a forklift and just about shoved it into the back of the cab I about dove in to save the cab. That was a close call. We got the flatbed to its temporary home, switched rigs and went back for the f4. Onlookers thought my trailer was to small but we showed them. A load like that makes you wish you had better trailer tires. The sale was west of Chester sd. Needless to say the price was cheap. But keep in mind if the axle is hurt or the t case, then it's a donor truck. It didn't make any odd noises while loading or unloading so I think we are safe. More pics to follow when I get them loaded up. And thanks for all the kind words.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Sounds like a really fun outing! That is a really cool couple of rows of trucks!! Seen a couple Colemans out here. A 51 f3 flareside for sale coulda, woulda,shoulda bought. Hindsight 20/20

Old 06-21-2015, 06:54 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
But can you enlighten me as to what being a Coleman means? I'm not familiar with that model/designation/etc.
This below April, 1998, article in Four Wheeler Magazine gives nice history. Written by Jim Allen, himself an FTE member. The article focuses on a Chevy 3600, but the dealer installed Coleman conversion was adaptable to all truck brands. The Chevy in the article has the large wheel covers with Dayton style rims while Mark's truck has the Budd style mounting. Stu

April 1998 Rare Rigs - Four Wheeler Magazine

Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
A couple pics that made me scratch my head. Stu found another pos coleman for sale and the pics matched up.
rear leaf spring hangers different and pushed out
block of wood mount for transfer case to x member
the huge front hub
the cab

Old 06-23-2015, 01:56 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice read on that Chev Colman Stu. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1951 F4 Coleman 4x4, hunting unicorns with truckdog!