Rusty 2010 F-150 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by FordService
Sounds good, unibody62; I'll hang around here to see when you have any news from the dealership.

Crystal
I was able to make an appointment and ask for help from the dealer today. Surprisingly, I got a call back already, but it was not good news. Ford won't cover anything, because of it being out of the rust through warranty. It really burns me up, seeing that I tried to tell them last year that it was a problem. Crystal, if you can be of any assistance, you can pm me about the situation.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by unibody62
...Crystal, if you can be of any assistance, you can pm me about the situation.
I just sent a PM your way, unibody62. I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Western111
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rblades289
Last night I got a photo of the root cause for my rust. You can see a rubber drain line. It should have been installed to end up where the finger is pointing and therefore direct the water to the drain. Instead, it was placed between the inner and outer rocker. So water would fill up there until it got high enough to flow through the hole. To add to the issue, if you park on an incline, the water would pool in the corner and never reach the drain!!!

Did Ford take care of your issue after finding this? The reason I ask is I am having the very same issue with my 2010 FX4 and I got it to the dealer a little over a week after the 5yr warranty was supposedly up and Ford is denying a warranty claim. I believe mine is exactly like yours as my driveway is on a slight incline and both sides of my cab corners are rusting through. I have been in contact with the regional CSM for Ford after posting on a different forum and they were no help beyond offering to get me a reduced rate to fix it which I'm sure is still going to cost me thousands out of pocket. My truck has been a NC vehicle it's entire life so not exactly in the rust belt of the country. It's to the point now that I am doing research on how widespread this problem is and considering the possibility of speaking to an attorney to file a class action claim against Ford.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Western111
My truck has been a NC vehicle it's entire life so not exactly in the rust belt of the country. It's to the point now that I am doing research on how widespread this problem is and considering the possibility of speaking to an attorney to file a class action claim against Ford.
I'm usually not a big fan of class action law suits, because lawyers get most all of the money. But in this case, it might the way to go just to get Ford to listen. I'm not sure if mine would have rusted so bad if all of the holes on the inner rocker were covered. I guess the are supposed to have a piece of tape (lame) over them, but half of mine have nothing. I got an estimate from a Ford dealer for $1826, but it is a scab and this truck looks like a standard cab. The Ford tech who gave me the estimate was going to push it up the ladder to see if they would help cover costs, but I never got a call back. I also talked to and got a quote from an independent repair shop using stainless steel. The price dropped to $1200 and at least it won't rust again that way.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:06 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Lets be careful about discussing legal matters.

You've mentioned that you are exploring your legal options, and lets just leave it at that as far as this tread is concerned.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
john188971
Senior User
Sad things to come

I started a thread on this last year. I've found some info quite disturbing. Ford has conducted an internal investigation.
Turns out the ecoat on the inner rockers is falling off and causing it to rust from the inside out. All crew cabs from 2009-2014 in rust belt first then the rest. There are NO PROPER DRAINS. Ecoat falls off and clogs the minor separations in between the inner and outer rockers. I did get a good faith claim from ford for 2500. But the total bill to do it right will be $5700.
After my 2009 with 63k on the odometer has been at body shop for 3 weeks. 2.5 weeks it sat outside getting dirty, they started yesterday
Here is some pics to show you all what's to come

But good news! In the next year ford has developed a replacement aperture panel. At customers expense of course. It will cost you half the price of the whole aperture panel@ $400 each side. And guess what?? It has drain holes drilled in it too! I had body shop drill holes in mine. These pics were taken yesterday.
Hopefully total 4 weeks and $5700 later it will be good...

Zoom in this is the inner rocker exposed. The rust starts here

Close up inner rocker rusted so bad its got holes and unweldable in the rear. $1000 just to replace these pieces that are never seen

Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 PM
john188971
Senior User
So sorry, I forgot to mention.
I agree with the previous statement. My drivers side rear sunroof drain was in my rocker as well. However I saw the passenger rear drain was where it was intended to run out of the cab. Rust damage to passenger side was slightly less but still requires the inner rocker to be replaced. Also in the pics you can see where they cut on cab corner. In my case they needed to cut 4" higher to remove all the rust in there. I'm quite nervous on this outcome to say the least. Should be done by next weekend. That's if I accept their work. I'm kind of ****

Old 10-07-2015, 08:24 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and explanation. That looks like a lot of work. I've had some body work done on previous vehicles and felt the body shop took care of a few things the manufacturer didn't do so well. Hopefully when your truck comes out, it's better than new.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
It seems like the screws truck have more of an issue than the scab trucks, from all of the posts I've found. But I guarantee that my scab is rusting from the inside out also, so I don't know what the issue is here. My truck also (like others have said) leads a pretty easy life and is well cared for. No reason for the rust. I need to call the dealer back, as they had promised to get back with me about cost sharing, but never heard from them. I got an estimate from a local shop where they would cut out the rusted parts and use stainless as replacement. I sure would prefer that if I had a choice.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 PM
john188971
Senior User
Thanks for the vote of confidence! So far I'm not impressed with the workmanship of the shop. Again, I'm pretty ****. I'm all in now! I was told by my source that extended cabs are in it too unfortunately.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:54 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I find this interesting. We have a bunch of 2010 scabs at work that all look fine. None of them have ever seen the inside of a building except for an oil change. And all of them are parked down wind of the Salt domes. In the winter they are all covered by salt "dust" from the constant loading and unloading going on at the salt sheds.

I've always expected to see some rust showing up on these trucks, especially in light of all of this, but they all look really good so far.

Perhaps time will tell, but I trucks that lead "the good life" are showing problems already, I'm wondering why ours look good still.

Very curious indeed.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:37 PM
john188971
Senior User
In light of what I've learned. I believe your work place trucks will be better off than my babied one. You don't have a sunroof I assume? Is it driven on highways in rain and snow? In my case what I thought was good maintenance may have inadvertently been my demise...
1 sunroof drain dumping into a place with no drain.
2 highway driving in the rain and salty slush getting flung in there.
And then
3 let's go to the car wash once a month and get one of those belly baths that clean all the salt off in the winter. Well that salt goes somewhere. And again with no drains it just compounded the problem.
I've driven plant trucks in a refinery. They never leave, never get washed and rarely go over 20 mph.
10 years old. Interior shot. Paint flat, no shine. Barely run with only 20-30k miles on them. But 0 rust.
One was actually a 2009 f150 extended cab fx2. Spotless for rust.

The lack of drainage imo is 100% the issue here. Who cares if the drains go into the rockers? If there were drains it would be a mute point. The water, salt, whatever would simply drain away.
I had a 79 mercury capri. Factory sunroof.
Drains went right down to rockers. No rust.

I did get a call from body shop today. Inner rockers will be in tomorrow.
He preceded to tell me that what they weld to is in fairly bad shape too. Still weldable but damaged. He said if untreated my floor pans and adjacent panels will definitely have rust holes in a year or 2.
Great.
I had already planned on fluid filming the entire underside on my truck.
Maybe too late for me. I honestly didn't think 2009 and up trucks had to worry about this.
My 2002 focus 140k pos. Starts every day. No rust.
Just crazy.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I hate rust. My 2012 has the sunroof and all, It's driven in the snow and salt all the time, sits outside all the time and only get washed when it's warm enough to wash it outside. I hope I never have this problem.

A long time ago (about 30 years) I worked at a car wash. The system actually reused water, so all that salt that was washed off the car in front of you gets applied at high pressure onto your car. The undercarriage wash used that same recycled water. There were filters but they didn't filter the salt out, they basically filtered out dirt. Only the final rinse was clean water.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM
john188971
Senior User
It's easy to check. Last hole in back drivers side crawl under look up at back corner there will be a hole. Or tape on the hole. My sunroof drain was behind the tape. That is actually 3 layers back but youll get an idea what you're in for

Hopefully it doesn't look like this!

Old 10-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Zaphod
Freshman User
Ok... So my take is, the main vulnerablty is the sunroof drain. I don't have a sunroof so I'm in the clear there. I have had several bad experences with sunroof leaks and drains in the past so I try to avoid them at all cost. I only have 14000 on my 2013 Scab so I will be watching closely.

Quick Reply: Rusty 2010 F-150 Lariat