Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

rumble noise in drive line

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
It's about motivation. The service manager is out dollars if offers to foot the bill to find out whats wrong. If they say "good enough" and then it breaks, they fix it "free" for the customer and get paid for warranty by Ford. A salesman who you work with expects you to come back for your next truck. And by taking care of the customer after the sale starts to build the ownership value and work towards earning the next sale. There still may be nothing that can be done, but it's worth a shot. In this case the OP does seem to be describing a real degenerating problem, not just a characteristic of the drive line.

Customer loyalty is a waning concept. It cost a lot to make customers happy and often shows little return, so often customer service isn't what we'd like it to be, so the loyalty continues to slip. It's a catch 22. You just need one person fighting for you though and you can have an entirely different experience from everyone.
Some people question why I blog. This is really good and it makes sense. Please allow me to add that when something is wrong, like the oxygen sensor in my 1984 chrysler and I have to fight to get it fixed, but instead of fixing it, they tell me "it isn't that bad," when it really is, I've never bought another Chrysler vehicle and probably never will. Anyhow, thank you for tweaking my perspective.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Paul_Bukowski
Junior User
I have also heard this clunk / rumble, very intermittent and only at very low speeds, like 5 mph. Not sure if tranny or u-joint or what. Doesn't happen very often.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:42 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paul_Bukowski
I have also heard this clunk / rumble, very intermittent and only at very low speeds, like 5 mph. Not sure if tranny or u-joint or what. Doesn't happen very often.

clunk and rumble are not interchangeable. Clunk: A dull sound or a blow that produces a dull sound. Rumble: make a continuous deep, resonant sound.

Which do you have?

Old 07-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Paul_Bukowski
Junior User
More of a clunk, but the title of this thread refers to rumble. Hard to really say, it's so infrequent.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_Bukowski
More of a clunk, but the title of this thread refers to rumble. Hard to really say, it's so infrequent.
If it's a clunk when transmission is downshifting that's a diferent thread.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:27 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
I guess every once in a while I do something right.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 PM
tom338
5th Wheeling
I do not have a "clunk". I have a rumble and a vibration. Th vibration is getting worse. I am going to let it get worse on purpose for a while then take it back in. I can now feel it in the steering wheel and on the side of the door with my knee. Could not do this just a few hundred miles ago. It will show up sooner than later the way it's acting. Will keep you posted

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tom338
I do not have a "clunk". I have a rumble and a vibration. Th vibration is getting worse. I am going to let it get worse on purpose for a while then take it back in. I can now feel it in the steering wheel and on the side of the door with my knee. Could not do this just a few hundred miles ago. It will show up sooner than later the way it's acting. Will keep you posted
Good luck!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
If you can feel it in the steering wheel, that would seem to narrow it down. I am sorry that you have to deal with it?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're sure proud of yourself for somebody that has no clue what is the problem.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 AM
tom338
5th Wheeling
Qwktrip since you're so smart what is it?? When I posted here all was hoping for was to get this problem resolved. Hoped someone had this problem and got it fixed and would past it on.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was talking to RRRSkinner. I don't think you deserve to be berated and mocked, as is happening here. He is also disrupting what help you are getting from other people.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Well, I just hope it's not a wheel bearing, and you lose a wheel at some point!

Old 07-14-2015, 01:01 PM
tom338
5th Wheeling
qwktrip, my bad..had a bad day yesterday and didn't sleep to good last night and took your post wrong this morning. Sorry.

I thought wheel bearing for a while but when you slip the truck into neutral the noise and vibration quit and it does not come back till you put it in gear. As soon as you slip it into D again the noise is right there. Calling the dealer again today

Quick Reply: rumble noise in drive line