Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:52 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?

Do I have this right.... The 3.5L ecoboost makes more torque than the 6.2L does & makes it at roughly 1/2 the rpm?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:57 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
When the loads get heavy there is a lot more to it than just horsepower and torque. I would hate to see the EGT on the EB towing a 14k fiver up and down grades in a heavier less aerodynamic truck with a heavier drivetrain.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:43 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock Ecoboost engine can run full tilt all day. So can other engines. Nothing unique about that.

It is not the engine that differentiates tow ratings, it is the vehicle it is in. If I remember right, Tom's F150 Ecoboost with something like 15K pounds ran away from a V10, tuned 6.0L Powerstroke, and a 6.4L Powerstroke. No doubt the Ecoboost can run. But at the end of the day it is resting in an F150 chassis and that defines the capability of the truck.

Can the Ecoboost win a towing drag race against the 6.2L? Yep. Can an F150, regardless of engine, out tow a Superduty, regardless of engine? Nope.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
But to directly answer the question... yes

There are many differences in a truck more than the engine. The transmission is probably the most important. Frame, suspension, weight balance, tires, axle width, etc all effect a trucks performance. All the things that make a Super Duty awesome for hauling will hurt it in a drag race. Depends what you want to do with a truck.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:03 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Well I'm looking at it as such that I don't tow for a living, will occasionally tow within the truck's rated capacity (such as towing a boat maybe 10 times a year), & possibly a future tag camper a few times a year,
with the truck being a daily driver the rest of the time.

I own a SD & have for 10 years now but given the above facts of my position in life now it seems as though an F-150 is more than the right tool for the job.... Which is a drastic departure from the way I've always looked at F-150s prior to today's version.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:43 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Ya, F150 has come a long way in the last decade. It is like the 3/4 ton of old.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Stock Ecoboost engine can run full tilt all day. So can other engines. Nothing unique about that.

It is not the engine that differentiates tow ratings, it is the vehicle it is in. If I remember right, Tom's F150 Ecoboost with something like 15K pounds ran away from a V10, tuned 6.0L Powerstroke, and a 6.4L Powerstroke. No doubt the Ecoboost can run. But at the end of the day it is resting in an F150 chassis and that defines the capability of the truck.

Can the Ecoboost win a towing drag race against the 6.2L? Yep. Can an F150, regardless of engine, out tow a Superduty, regardless of engine? Nope.

It did. I drove Toms with the trailer attached as well. The concern though is sustained temps if you tow too heavy. I think his coolant got up to 240 in short order...without the capacity to deal with that.

Stay in the limits of the F150 and it will be fine.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
It did. I drove Toms with the trailer attached as well. The concern though is sustained temps if you tow too heavy. I think his coolant got up to 240 in short order...without the capacity to deal with that.

Stay in the limits of the F150 and it will be fine.
Spot on Scott, I remember the entire story as it unfolded.

But, if the Ecoboost had a larger oil sump and a higher volume cooling system, this could be negated. The superduty simply has a front end designed to house a 6.7L diesel and therefore the 6.2L will cool itself just fine.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:57 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
I know the 6.2 is a tough motor but I also know having turbo power is awesome when traversing grades at high altitude. Gotta say the F-150 is at the top of my list right now for my next rig (coming in the spring). The fuel economy & turbo power combo compared to the gas option on the SD is impressive.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:57 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rblomquist
Well I'm looking at it as such that I don't tow for a living, will occasionally tow within the truck's rated capacity (such as towing a boat maybe 10 times a year), & possibly a future tag camper a few times a year,
with the truck being a daily driver the rest of the time.

I own a SD & have for 10 years now but given the above facts of my position in life now it seems as though an F-150 is more than the right tool for the job.... Which is a drastic departure from the way I've always looked at F-150s prior to today's version.
You have to look at more than trailer weight capacity, you have to look at payload.(for starters) For example for most of the weight of trailers I pull the F-150 will do it fine.(even though a heavier truck with more suited suspension will do it better) But I max out the GVWR of my SD sometimes with what I haul in the bed and cab while I am towing. Plus with the super duty I don't have to worry about airbags, timbrens and etc to haul the same load. If you are just pulling trailers with little weight in the truck and a reasonable pin weight you should be fine with the 150.

Originally Posted by tseekins
Spot on Scott, I remember the entire story as it unfolded.

But, if the Ecoboost had a larger oil sump and a higher volume cooling system, this could be negated.
The superduty simply has a front end designed to house a 6.7L diesel and therefore the 6.2L will cool itself just fine.
Doubtful. The F-150s cooling system as is, is no slouch. A large block, large heads and etc give a lot of surface area for the coolant and oil to come in contact with and draw heat away.(surface area the 3.5 EB can only dream of)

Old 06-13-2015, 07:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
For some info on all the engines and th F150 eco see here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-videos.html

Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM
dkf
Hotshot
For some info on all the engines and th F150 eco see here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-videos.html
I always found those videos as good information. One thing I always take away from it is gear ratios matter. There is a common theme among the performance of the 4spd, 5spd and 6spd trucks. The steeper 1st on the 6R140 really helps in this test.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:51 AM
1medic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rblomquist
I know the 6.2 is a tough motor but I also know having turbo power is awesome when traversing grades at high altitude. Gotta say the F-150 is at the top of my list right now for my next rig (coming in the spring). The fuel economy & turbo power combo compared to the gas option on the SD is impressive.
Sounds like your ready for a change. Your right the F150 with EcoBoost is impressive. I was driving a 13' CCSB 4x4 for the past year. I now drive a 15' F250 CCSB 4x4. The choice for me had to do with wanting more comfortable driving position (seats sit higher in F250). Improved visibility and more of a "truck" feel when driving also could be called "feeling sure footed" (especially when towing heavy).
If your looking for a softer ride with sports car like power with the capabilities of a truck, you'll be happy with the F150 with EcoBoost. They are awesome trucks (just not what I was looking for).

Last edited by 1medic; 06-14-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I think his coolant got up to 240 in short order...without the capacity to deal with that.
How did he know the actual coolant temp? Hooked up to data link or something?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:03 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1medic
Sounds like your ready for a change. Your right the F150 with EcoBoost is impressive. I was driving a 13' CCSB 4x4 for the past year. I now drive a 15' F250 CCSB 4x4. The choice for me had to do with wanting more comfortable driving position (seats sit higher in F250). Improved visibility and more of a "truck" feel when driving also could be called "feeling sure footed" (especially when towing heavy).
If your looking for a softer ride with sports car like power with the capabilities of a truck, you'll be happy with the F150 with EcoBoost. They are awesome trucks (just not what I was looking for).
The change is I have a 2nd teen about ready to get their license so we need another vehicle. Right now, like the last 10 years we've owned it, my SD sits beside my house unless we need it to tow something (Camper, boat, etc)... which is why it has less than 50k mi on the odometer despite being 10 years old. I can't afford to have this setup moving forward.

So, I plan to get rid of my small commuter car & my SD and consolidate into 1 vehicle (a truck), which I'll use as my DD & for whatever towing needs I have. There's no way I'd want to have a SD for a DD in the urban area where I live. Truth be told, if FoMoCo still sold a Ranger here in the U.S. I'd probably be on one as my next ride. As it is now, I'm torn between going with the newly redesigned Tacoma or the F-150 option. I realize these 2 are far from apples-to-apples, but each has their advantages to me in my current environment.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?