1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

MY 1950 F-1 M-H ON FOX & FRIENDS TOMMORROW! @

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Here is the truck on the cover of the Summer 1995 issue of Ford Truckin'. My dog eared copy purchased off the news stand is what first got me interested in M-Hs.

Here is Chuck's Ranger from its March 2001 feature article in Classic Trucks.

Hope Chuck drops back by to explain more technically. But to answer the question, the hubs are full time engaged, no lock outs. They are early examples of constant velocity (CV) joints. The joints are known as Rzeppa joints. Stu

Old 06-12-2015, 03:59 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see. Thanks Stu. So how does the transfer case work?
Does it have a two wheel slot that disengages it? Or just
a hi/low and in all the time? Can the front axle be disengaged?
Even though it would still turn the axles and shaft? Last question.
Can some kind of lock out hubs be built or installed. I have often
wondered about this stuff. Silly I know but still wondered about it
for like for ever. If I had ever had one to play with than I would know.
I was around some GM, Dodge and Ford 4X4's as well as Military back
in the 60's and 70's but just didn't pay enough attention I guess as I
can't remember much more than driving them in and out of the shop
for like engine work.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:38 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
This is where Chuck should describe the truck. But I can say that the transfer case is single speed (in and out) with a compensating function that allows the front wheels to run at different speeds than the rears as occurs during turns. There is no provision for front lock outs. You'd have to swap the axle, and largely destroy the truck's value, to have lockouts. Stu

Old 06-12-2015, 10:32 PM
CHUCK48-50
Tuned
Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments, guys.
So, here's the story. I got a call from Jonathan Stein, the guy who runs Hagerty Classic Cars magazine around noon on Wednesday, asking if I could have an F-1 in Manhatten in a couple hours. I know him from years ago when he used to run Automobile Quarterly, where I had my trucks featured. At first, I told him he was crazy! He explained that his Friend from Hagerty, Jonathan Klinger, had this feature all set up, and the guy with the Ford had a medical emergency, and backed out at the last minute. My truck has been sitting under cover in the garage for at least 3 years, so I figured it would be best to find somebody else. I called a couple of people, but no one could do it. When I called him back with the bad news, he convinced me to do it, by offering flatbed service, hotel stay, garage with 24 hour guard, gas money, and a paycheck!
Now the race was on! After finishing the orders for the day, I went home to get the truck. Pulled the cover off, and it was still nice and clean. The battery tender did it's job, because it cranked over nice, and the fuel stabilizer worked, because it fired right up. I drove it back to the shop, changed the oil, blew up the tires, and cleaned them, and we were ready to go.
The flatbed showed up around 8:30, and after teaching the guy how to tie it down without scratching the paint on the axles, we were off. My father and I followed the crazy New Yorker at 80+ mph all the way there (except for the miles of bumper to bumper traffic). It was a white knuckle ride for sure! Once we got to the city, the traffic was at a standstill on the highway again, so he decided to go city streets all the way. I think he thought he was driving a Fire Engine, because he blew every light! I stayed glued to his tow bar, and we managed to get there in one piece.
In the morning, we set up the trucks, and figured out what Jonathan was going to say. This was his first time on TV, so he was a little nervous, but he did a great job. Maria Molina looked great, but she did have a strange fascination with that ash tray ****! Getting in the truck was not discussed, and I'm sure she just decided to hop in at the spur of the moment. Luckily, the ground was covered with rolls of really soft, fake grass, so her feet were grit free when she stepped on the runningboard!
Before the shoot, one of the many hot chicks that were checking out the truck introduced herself to me as "One of the anchors", and asked if I would take her picture with her phone, so she could post it on her instagram. I found out later that her name is Nicole Petallides, so maybe somebody can figure out how to get her Instagram picture here?
It was quite an adventure, and the truck is home safe.
Chuck

Old 06-12-2015, 10:36 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Very cool to have your truck in the spotlight Chuck, even if the board got scratched and the dude was more interested in the fire extinguisher than the rarity of the conversion. If one of my trucks ever made it on the news it would probably be on fire or a wicked crash. HA! Stu, that cover of Chucks ranger was a flashback. After I bought my 52 F3 MH a friend was helping me do some research on MH's and he made a photo copy of that article for me. It pre dated internet or google in my life. That was the first time I talked to Chuck. If I recall his shop number was at the end of the story. I thought Chuck, Don Chew and myself were the only ones that had MH's. Pushed it in the shed when Ryan was born and havent touched it since. 15 years ago, if I had kept at it I could take it for a spin tomorrow. O well, now Ryan and myself are re-frameing a 52 F2 MH. All is well!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:49 PM
CHUCK48-50
Tuned
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
This is where Chuck should describe the truck. But I can say that the transfer case is single speed (in and out) with a compensating function that allows the front wheels to run at different speeds than the rears as occurs during turns. There is no provision for front lock outs. You'd have to swap the axle, and largely destroy the truck's value, to have lockouts. Stu
1/2 Ton M-H's all had single speed transfer cases. The earlier ones had a compensator, which basically gave you full time 4wd. When the axles run at different speeds (like when cornering) the compensator would release. When you shift the transfer case, it locks up the compensator, so you have regular 4wd. If you remove the compensator, you just have 2wd/4wd.
The front axle is a semi-floater, meaning the axle not only drives the wheel, it supports it. If the outer axle breaks, the wheel falls off. That's why you can't have lock out hubs.
The axle u-joints are actually constant velocity Bendix-Weiss units. They are open around the outside. (Rzeppa joints are closed on the outside, and were only used in Big Job trucks).
Chuck

Old 06-12-2015, 10:59 PM
CHUCK48-50
Tuned
Originally Posted by thundersnow70
Very cool to have your truck in the spotlight Chuck, even if the board got scratched and the dude was more interested in the fire extinguisher than the rarity of the conversion. If one of my trucks ever made it on the news it would probably be on fire or a wicked crash. HA! Stu, that cover of Chucks ranger was a flashback. After I bought my 52 F3 MH a friend was helping me do some research on MH's and he made a photo copy of that article for me. It pre dated internet or google in my life. That was the first time I talked to Chuck. If I recall his shop number was at the end of the story. I thought Chuck, Don Chew and myself were the only ones that had MH's. Pushed it in the shed when Ryan was born and havent touched it since. 15 years ago, if I had kept at it I could take it for a spin tomorrow. O well, now Ryan and myself are re-frameing a 52 F2 MH. All is well!
Jonathan is actually very knowledgeable, and owns a 1950 F-3! He was very interested in my truck, and we discussed it at length. He was just at the mercy of Maria, and was trying to point out whatever he could to keep her attention on it. It all happened so fast, I have to give him credit for a job well done, under the circumstances. And the runningboard is fine!
Chuck

Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man

Great story, Chuck! Thanks. Stu

Old 06-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So, that's Nicole Petallides...

Old 06-13-2015, 02:26 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a great pic of your M-H Chuck. And Nicole
doesn't hurt it any at all. I so want one. Not the Nicole
as they are a dime a dozen. But I have dreams of making
an emergency run 100 miles to the clinic in either your
M-H F1 or mostly the M-H panel. What an awesome fleet
you have. And I am sure we don't know the half of it.
Yes I am sooo jealous.

You Da Man

Old 06-14-2015, 12:09 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck's truck is a '50, but the one next to it looks like a '51.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Chuck's truck is a '50, but the one next to it looks like a '51.
That one took me a second.

Chuck, beautiful truck and fantastic information.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by Harrier
That one took me a second.
Hmmm, it's missing me. Stu

Old 06-14-2015, 10:19 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think its a comment on how a 51 might look as bad as a dodge? The great monkey face/ manure spreader debate. Sticks and stones may break my bones but our manure spreaders are AWD!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Wouldn't that be the other way around, Mark? Ilya being a '51/'52 guy, suggesting the female looks as good as a '51? Or is the joke about something else entirely? Stu

Quick Reply: MY 1950 F-1 M-H ON FOX & FRIENDS TOMMORROW! @