Sponsored by:

Modded C's Installed today!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modded C's Installed today!!

So today I had the Modded C's installed. (Thank you Junior @ ATS for hooking me up with the springs & hardware!)

I had already done the V's up front. Now I think I'm having buyers remorse on not getting the X's. I think I need to raise the front a bit. Opinions and ideas please...

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Easiest may be some full drop hangers front and rear, 2" kit based on the rake in the pic.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
jp petracco
Freshman User
did my X / C mods last week and very happy..... bit of rake as I have but will drive for a few weeks before final decision.

I will go with a 1" lift shackle. My back is about 1.5" rake.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Finally! :-P

I think that If you like the way it rides, I would go for the lift shackle idea. If you want a bit of a firmer ride up front, go for the X code.

Looks great, even with the rake

Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Looks great Keith, slap some 315s on those stock wheels and you're set.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:32 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ex looks great, I must say that I'm surprised you didn't go with the X codes with that big plow. But as noted by others the hangers or shackle have good results and won't change the ride you have now if your happy with the feel of the V codes. I also did V codes on my previous Ex and really liked the ride.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
Thank you for all your replies....and so fast!!

The reason I didn't go with the X's was multifaceted. I fell short on my research to begin with...and found bad info that labeled the 2630# (per side) springs as X. I realized the error after the truck was at the spring shop. They gave me a lot of push back when I called and asked about the X's. Super nice guys...They are just not a shop that does modifications and were hesitant to do the V's to begin with. (I think it was a liability thing as well as customer care.) They kept telling me that if the ride is too harsh and wanted them changed out for the Excursion springs it's on me. Second thought I had was more about $$. Maybe I wouldn't have to do anything to the rears? Well to spite the DW chirpalating in my ear about the $$ spent...here I am with V's up front and Modded C's on the rear.

Money being no object..I would throw the X's on it and be done..but alas it is!

As far as the rake I am concerned about the additional drop with the plow. They stand up pretty well as you can see from the other pics I had posted..but there is a drop. But one thing at a time. (Plow is barricaded by my trailer and my Dad's trailer for the time being, so I cannot check that just yet.)

So on to leveling the Beast....

Question 1: If I do the shackles, do I have to do the front and rear of the front springs or just the rear where the factory shackle is mounted currently? I am thinking if I go this route I will be able to do this with a friend. (Due to back surgeries and a fusion I won't go it alone. The sway bar, the front bearings and brakes all around kick me in the nads!)

Question 2: Add a leaf....probably not for me to do..but would this be a way to gain the 1.5" to 2" I am looking for, at the same time boosting my front spring capacity...close to if not at the X's?

Thanks again all...I really appreciate it!!!

Keith

Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 PM
jp petracco
Freshman User
Keith - Im not the expert here, but I do a lot of due diligence before each investment. What the pros have told me and some on here is you only need to do the front with the lift shackle and very economical. I am 1.5" lower in front and will add a 1" shackle that my shop will install in a few weeks when I am out of town. Your truck looks good !

Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Bruinzfan- Excursion is looking great. What rear block do you have?

Drunken Unicorn- your :-P emoticon is not working on FTE. : p is the correct one(no space). Like this.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop

Drunken Unicorn- your :-P emoticon is not working on FTE. : p is the correct one(no space). Like this.
Thank you very much!! Stock rear block...with the Modded C's from Junior @ ATS.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by jp petracco
Keith - Im not the expert here, but I do a lot of due diligence before each investment. What the pros have told me and some on here is you only need to do the front with the lift shackle and very economical. I am 1.5" lower in front and will add a 1" shackle that my shop will install in a few weeks when I am out of town. Your truck looks good !
I thought I had done my due diligence...LOL My mistake certainly could have been worse. AND at the time the actual price was almost $200 less than the quote. When does that ever happen...show up to pick up the truck and I have TOO MUCH money on me. LOL

That's my initial gut feel too.(Shackles) I will have to measure on better ground, my first measurements were like 39.5 front and about 42" rear. (ground to wheel well.) I will also do center of hub to wheel well for comparison another comparison.

Thank you for your input!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
If you raise the front will you have to get different shocks? Is there anything that can bring the rear down? Do you plan to let it settle over the next week prior to a decision? Larger tires in the future?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Bruinzfan
Senior User
If you raise the front will you have to get different shocks? Is there anything that can bring the rear down? Do you plan to let it settle over the next week prior to a decision? Larger tires in the future?
Definitely going to give it a week or so. I don't have time to do anything this week. I am going camping over the weekend. I don't think they will settle all that much...comparatively speaking I would think the fronts would settle more and faster due to the 7.3 sitting on them. (But I am no engineer.) I am planning on going with adjustable shocks so that isn't a problem if needed. I'll just have to do them sooner rather than later. As far as the tires I may go slightly larger but nothing crazy.

I was just looking at some shackles. They are saying 45 min for install...I liked the sound of that! That's something that could be done trial and error.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru

You're not my supervisor!!! :-P

I like my emoticons to have noses. Lol. I have noticed FTE doesn't like them I will try to make sure to leave the nose out

Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
DU- you should put in a report about discrimination regarding your emoticon.

Quick Reply: Modded C's Installed today!!