Sponsored by: Moser

Parts for a 1979 f100.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Viperfoxbat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts for a 1979 f100.

I crawled under my truck a 1979 f100 300 I6 and wow it's got crud and oil all over.is ther a good product to clean under a truck to cut all that grime .
And I plan on changing every thing I can on the truck .shocks,wires plugs,
Any thing replaceable that I can.is ther a place on the net reasonable in prices
For parts that I can check out to buy parts for the 79 f100.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Simple green and a pressure washer will make a good dent in it.

www.rockauto.com is a pretty good source for online auto parts purchases.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Tractor Boy
Posting Guru
By replacing everything you can do you mean EVERYTHING or just what needs changing?

For restoration parts you can look to LMC Truck, Bronco Graveyard, BOTP, NPD, Dennis Carpenter, and there are quite a few other parts sources.

Most of that grime and dirt will probably not just fall right off with even the best degreaser, you will have the best luck with pressure washer, scraper, and wire brush.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
For restoration parts you can look to LMC Truck, Bronco Graveyard, BOTP, NPD, Dennis Carpenter, and there are quite a few other parts sources.
BOTP? That's a new one to me. What's that stand for?

Links for the others:
Early Bronco Restoration Full Size Bronco Restoration Classic Ford Bronco Parts For Sale
https://www.npdlink.com/
Dennis Carpenter Ford Car, F-100 Pickup Truck, 8N, 9N Tractor and Cushman Scooter Restoration Parts
Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com

And also
https://www.macsautoparts.com/

And Mike clued me into this one for fasteners, etc.
Restoration hardware - AMK Products Inc !

Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Tractor Boy
Posting Guru
Blue Oval Truck Parts = BOTP

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Ah, gotcha.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I agree, a 3000psi pressure washer makes a HUGE difference

Pay no attention to the nut spacers, she ain't road worthy yet

Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Viperfoxbat
Senior User
thanks I have to get the presure washer out and try to get it running.but yea I was thinking I'll have to do alote with the wire brush.i would love to get it looking like jdeshler truck.
Painted and all.

Tractor boy I mean everything that needs replacing. I did not look close when buying the truck .but I did look yesterday and the wires looked cracked (dry rotted) .the shocks were
Rusted and had holes in them.the plugs did not look like thay hade ever been changed.just stuff I can do on my own.and when I can save the money I will be getting new rims and tires. And a paint job. I can do all the body work myself .and I might get some one to paint it.if I had a paint booth I could do it myself .i have been painting somthing all my life.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:22 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Received 588 Likes on 347 Posts
Purple Power is some good stuff. I have used Dawn dish wash in the tank of the pressure washer with great results.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 AM
herbiemin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on rockauto. have ordered from them lots for my 74 Courier. they have a lot of stuff, but make sure you compare them to a local parts store after the shipping is added. sometimes its enough that it doesn't save anything...

Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
3x on Rockauto.com but watch out for shipping costs.

Summit Racing also carries replacement parts and shipping is free when spending more than $99. Conduct a thorough evaluation of your truck and try to group the parts you will definitely need and order them in phases from Summit... And their shipping is typically waaaay faster than Rockauto.

Core charges are also easier through Summit. They'll email you a shipping tag whereas Rockauto will included it in your package if you buy it at check-out.

Visit the Tech Thread Compilation linked in my sig and check out the Vendors section in the last post. EZ.

I patronize local stores from consumables and sometimes for regular parts but only if time is a factor.

Degreasers? In my order of preference....

1. Purple Power
2. Super Clean
3. Greased Lightning

Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 AM
Viperfoxbat
Senior User
Thanks for the names of places to get parts. Hay I wanted to as my truck is a 3 speed on the colum.is the gear shift supposed to have some play in it like loose.or do you think over time guys driving the truck rested ther hand on the shifter making it that way.do not get me wrong the truck shifts great.and the guy I bought it from said he had a new clutch and bearing installed befor he put it up for sale.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 AM
scottness2
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viperfoxbat,

The shift lever will have some play in it. It's really just the slack in the linkage. If it's changing through the gears well you are fine. You can tighten the linkage nuts up a bit or you can replace the bushings for about $12.00.

Once you have cleaned and scrubbed everything - you can inspect and discover more to replace, leaking gaskets & seals, cracked rubber etc.

If you have a lot of grease build up inspect the motor and transmission mounts once it's clean. If these are original changing them out really improves how the truck feels (IMO) almost as much as changing the cab mounts.

Enjoy. Scott

Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I guess I'm partial to advanced auto parts.. They have let me go behind their counter and pick out what I want for years! Fairly knowledgeable people too, and if there's discrepancies ill just Google a parts number for em and its all good..

RULE #1 -If possible, take the original part for comparison

Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
X3 for Super Clean. But for caked on grime, a scraper then followed up with the Super Clean. (Or Simple Green). Ive never had the luxury of a pressure washer.

Jdeshler's quote: RULE #1 -If possible, take the original part for comparison. This goes right along with a picture is worth 1000 words. I try to do that everytime I go into a parts store....

Quick Reply: Parts for a 1979 f100.