Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowseekers V10 experience. "Chitty Deuce"

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks guys! Sorry we can't talk selling or buying according to the rules.

Today I pulled all the brakes off. Very much to my surprise every single slider was lubed and moving freely! Both front calipers had locked up pistons in them. I could get one of the pistons to pop out but not the second in both calipers.

So new front calipers on the way.

The rears I got all 4 pistons to pop out however I cracked one. Checking around I couldn't get one very quick and they are almost as much as a whole caliper. So I made up my own in the lathe. I cleaned up the piston bores, cleaned the seals, and reassembled everything.

The discs all looked like they were replaced just before "the noise" happened. So there was plenty of meat on them to take a skim coat off and get rid of the rust pitting.

The pads had almost no wear on them as well. So again I blocked them flat and clean again and reused them.

I hope this V10 has more get up and go when the brakes aren't locked up.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:38 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Andy, what's the timeframe to be out and running around in your new to you Ex?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Andy, what's the timeframe to be out and running around in your new to you Ex?

I hope to be able to have it completely assembled and totally driveable by this coming weekend. It would be ready to go by tomorrow after I get the brakes but I have to wait for a trans cooler that is coming yet and a radiator fan which is also on the way.

Also I am still waiting on the title. Apparently it is coming from a "car dealer" that had the X before the PO I got it from. I did talk with the guy when I went to his place to look around for a y-pipe and radiator fan. So I am confident the title will come and it will be ok.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Considering you work, took a vacation and even wasted time at the mall with your wifey I must say I'm impressed. From looking back at the pics of 100's of parts in boxes to where you are today wow!
Hope all turns out well with the title, sure it will

Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thanks Michael!

This was nothing compared to the stacks of boxes that fill up whole storage units for the jaguar cars I put together. :O

Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have to wait for a trans cooler
I hope not. Tracking number says it was delivered 10:51am Front Door/Porch.

But maybe you haven't left the garage in a few days and missed it, LOL

Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
what gears are in this beast?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I hope not. Tracking number says it was delivered 10:51am Front Door/Porch.

But maybe you haven't left the garage in a few days and missed it, LOL

I actually haven't been out the front door in awhile. I will have to take a look if it is out there.

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
what gears are in this beast?
I assume standard 3:73's but I would have to check to be sure. It wasn't like a complete slouch. I just expected the rear tires to spin some when floored from a stop, but the brakes were hot, tight, and stuff so I can't say anything yet till I get a real drive in.

I should wait to get fresh gas in it too. I hear the X was sitting at least 5 years from the owner before the PO. lol

After I get it driving I am taking it over to my buddies body shop for him to look at a couple spots to possibly be fixed and then strait to the detail shop for the full treatment LivingLarge style!

I already got the quote of full detail inside and out for $150. With all the years of crap on it and the size I feel it is totally worth it.

Any tips of getting "****" smell out of the heater? Not sure if it is from to much AC when it was running years ago or if something was living in it.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
As far as the ac vents, many of the better detail locations here have what looks to be a gun from the Jetsons. Since, I'm guilty of smoking an occasional Cuban cigar (windows open). I have them clean out the vents every couple months. Next time I'm there, I'll ask what's it called. I'm guessing it's some type of neutralizer.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I do remember some talk at sometime about some sort of powder or something you would dump down the cowl and into the airbox and let sit for awhile and then blow out.

That could have all been an old wives tale though just to get powder all over inside the truck.

I thought maybe there was just some residue on the bottom of the airbox so I turned the hose on down the cowl for awhile but there was no change.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM
greg807
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can get any residue (that is causing the smell) cleaned out and with your fabrication skills fashion some kind of nozzle to concentrate into the vent, I can loan you my ozone generator. If I have it with me (Up North) I will bring it with me when I head your way.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually haven't been out the front door in awhile. I will have to take a look if it is out there.

I assume standard 3:73's but I would have to check to be sure. It wasn't like a complete slouch. I just expected the rear tires to spin some when floored from a stop, but the brakes were hot, tight, and stuff so I can't say anything yet till I get a real drive in.

I should wait to get fresh gas in it too. I hear the X was sitting at least 5 years from the owner before the PO. lol

After I get it driving I am taking it over to my buddies body shop for him to look at a couple spots to possibly be fixed and then strait to the detail shop for the full treatment LivingLarge style!

I already got the quote of full detail inside and out for $150. With all the years of crap on it and the size I feel it is totally worth it.

Any tips of getting "****" smell out of the heater? Not sure if it is from to much AC when it was running years ago or if something was living in it.
At my work we use a product from BG that sprays a fogged disenfectant mist in the vents. My boss had a family of rats living in his fresh air inlet. once we got them (and the babies) out I used the BG spray and no mopre smell.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:56 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that was a fast rebuild

Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Snowseekers V10 experience. "Chitty Deuce"

I actually haven't been out the front door in awhile. I will have to take a look if it is out there. I assume standard 3:73's but I would have to check to be sure. It wasn't like a complete slouch. I just expected the rear tires to spin some when floored from a stop, but the brakes were hot, tight, and stuff so I can't say anything yet till I get a real drive in.

You don't like the wonderful smell of mouse ****? It doesn't remind you of a farm truck or old tractor? Lol

Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
haha, I hate the rat **** smell!

This isn't quite that rat **** smell though, it is more of that stale AC water smell.

Thanks for the offer Greg! I will see what I can get done with sprays and foggers and whatnots first.

Vwags, I will look into this stuff. What is the BG abbreviation for?

Quick Reply: Snowseekers V10 experience. "Chitty Deuce"