1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

got my van windows tinted in trade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:16 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Are you unfamiliar with window tint?

It's weird that you are asking how it works, and it's also weird that you are 'callingBS' on other peoples claims of its effectiveness.
I call bs that it lets light in but you can see out at night. That makes no sense. Light is light. it travels the same in both directions through glass. If the tint is dark , less light comes in and you will be hampered at night.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Tinting front windows is illegal in Michigan.

As a bicyclist (and prez of a large bicycle club with hundreds of cyclists) who has motorcyclist friends, making eye contact with the driver of a vehicle stopped at a stop sign or traffic light is critical to staying alive. With tint, there is no way to tell that the driver is looking at you or writing a text as he prepares to kill you. Not a big deal if I'm in a car but if I'm on a bicycle or motorcycle, I lose every time. Just went to a funeral for a dear friend killed on his bike by an on-duty cop in Hawaii...cop "didn't see" the cyclist. (Probably had his face screwed into a laptop screen.)

I have lost too many friends on bicycles and motorcycles to be even remotely sympathetic to motorists who choose to break the law in order to look "cool". Rear window tint is fine and it is legal in Michigan (since you are not even required to have any windows behind the front seat on a cargo van). Wear sunglasses if sun coming in the front windows bothers you.

George
I've seen idiots with their windshield tinted down here in Florida… Way over the line…

Down here in Florida, window tint is for more than just eyesight, it's for overall climate of the car and preventing sunburns on your arms. So please don't be too harsh on front/side window tinting. It's definitely not just to "look cool. "

I'm extremely glad to hear that some bicyclists/motorcyclists actively engaging eye contact for safety, because that is tremendously lacking down here in Florida. I forget the terminology but in Florida the pedestrians have the right of way no matter what. This has created a culture of people walking through parking lots without even looking for moving cars- literally. And (barely) similarly, a lot of black floridians walk into the street whether or not traffic is coming. (They always look, but it's so they know that the driver knows he has to slow down).

And then there's the ridiculous "bike lanes" on our roads... If I was a bicyclist I wouldn't ride there for $100/hour. Way too close to traffic!!! Seems insanely unsafe to me.

And I mean absolutely no disrespect to your fallen friends YoGeorge, but this whole "watch for motorcycles" thing makes me angry. They need to watch for cars (trucks, vans, etc).

It's like putting 2 chickens in a cage full of elephants and then telling the elephants to watch their step. This country needs to stop pandering to minorities. Roads were invented for 4wheeled automobiles. Motorcycles are TOYS and they should be played with safely.

Ok, while I'm still on my soapbox; I'll say; as a whole, the 2wheeled community is safer/better/more responsible as vehicle operators than the 4wheel majority. 2 wheelers actively have safety in mind at all times. 4 wheelers commonly act/think as if they are alone on the roads.. But the chicken/elephant illustration still applies.

I have long since wanted a bumper sticker that says "motorcycles, watch for big white vans".

Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vettex2
I call bs that it lets light in but you can see out at night. That makes no sense. Light is light. it travels the same in both directions through glass. If the tint is dark , less light comes in and you will be hampered at night.
Have you never had window tint? Because what you are saying is not true.

Yes, window tint does hinder night vision. But it doesn't render a driver dangerous.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
And I mean absolutely no disrespect to your fallen friends YoGeorge, but this whole "watch for motorcycles" thing makes me angry. They need to watch for cars (trucks, vans, etc).

It's like putting 2 chickens in a cage full of elephants and then telling the elephants to watch their step. This country needs to stop pandering to minorities. Roads were invented for 4wheeled automobiles. Motorcycles are TOYS and they should be played with safely.

Ok, while I'm still on my soapbox; I'll say; as a whole, the 2wheeled community is safer/better/more responsible as vehicle operators than the 4wheel majority. 2 wheelers actively have safety in mind at all times. 4 wheelers commonly act/think as if they are alone on the roads.. But the chicken/elephant illustration still applies.

I have long since wanted a bumper sticker that says "motorcycles, watch for big white vans".
Roads were invented for pedestrians and horses, my friend. People in cars and trucks seem to think that they "own" the road. I call BS on that. Aside from Interstates and other limited access roads, there are other human beings that are not in 2 ton boxes out there. And yes, you should watch for motorcyclists too.

I don't have much more to say here other than my dead friends are still dead. Cars and trucks are lethal when hitting a rider on a bike or motorcycle, or a pedestrian. And I can recall 2 more recent deaths of bicyclists, one killed on a dark road by a young woman below the legal alcohol limit but with brown nicotine stains on her car windows and a baby riding with her. Distracted with limited visibility, didn't see the cyclist. Cyclist was wearing a helmet but from what I hear his head was flattened. The cyclist was single and around 40, and his family did not sue the driver for everything she had (not much) but she will pay the price living with what she did.

And another cyclist friend was killed riding on a country road in a misty and rainy day by a woman in an SUV who thought she hit a mailbox. Both riders were seasoned and safe cyclists. Both drivers had obscured visibility (which a tint will not help) and probably other distractions.

If front window tint is legal where you live, do what you want inside the law, and I will try not go to your state on vacation with my bike. If tint is not legal, may you encounter a police officer and a citation before you kill or maim a human being.

I am also Manager of the Disabilities Division of the Detroit Marathon and supply bicycle guides to our handcycle racers who cannot use their legs. Many are military vets but many are just plain folks who were in auto accidents. Lots of moving stories. They are brave and heroic but I would not like to add to their ranks. Dick Traum (founder of Achilles International) is a good friend of mine, and lost a leg in a car accident at a gas station.

Peace out,
George

Old 05-12-2015, 02:13 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Have you never had window tint? Because what you are saying is not true.
I have sat in tinted vehicles so No . My vehicles have the stock tint made into the windshield. no more.
Yes, window tint does hinder night vision. But it doesn't render a driver dangerous.
That would depend on how dark it is wouldn't it.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 PM
tims01
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bicycles aside ... ( damn organics and oregonians ) and light transmission dynamics aside... tint works like a two way mirror ( for simplified thinking) if you know how a two way mirror works then you will get how the tint works..

that said i , in my van, i am so high up and sit in a seat having a commanding view of the road and of the two front windows, i have no problem seeing out and have no blinders ...
i am well aware of my surroundings ( unlike 80% of motor vehicle drivers in this country today ( especially those damn oregonians)) so it does not bother me ..
now if i were to not pay attention to my surroundings then i could see your argument ..

Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up size matters huh?

....this whole "watch for motorcycles" thing makes me angry. They need to watch for cars (trucks, vans, etc).

Imagine how I feel while driving my class 8....80,000 pounds...and some dumb 4 wheeler (maybe even in a little one-ton van) gets in the way on purpose...but for some reason the 'chickens', (cars, pickups, and vans) think they have the same rights...hmmm...you ARE saying might makes right? I thought so. Cars and vans are TOYS compared to Semi's....keep that in mind sir.

The size of your vehicle does NOT make you more important than others riding in (or on) smaller vehicles...it DOES mean you are more likely to survive an impact with that vehicle.

And roads were not invented for 4-wheelers....they were 'invented' many centuries before cars were even thought of....but asphalt pavement came after rubber tires became common.

I've driven truck for 35 years and motorcycles for 45 years and yeah...in both cases, its the 4 wheelers that cause the majority of accidents and so you better believe we absolutely are looking out for cagers....its the way we retain our excellent safety record, or in the case of bikes, its the way we stay alive.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:22 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tims01
bicycles aside ... ( damn organics and oregonians ) and light transmission dynamics aside... tint works like a two way mirror ( for simplified thinking) if you know how a two way mirror works then you will get how the tint works..
No it doesn't , for the simplified thinking.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:46 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
No it doesn't , for the simplified thinking.
Window tint 20% and 35% comparison at night - YouTube
Ah yes, I believe you like to argue, so for the sake of all, how about everyone drop replying to you about it.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Elephants and chickens…

Just to be clear, my point was not about "might makes right."
The point was about visibility. Not power/size/weight. 2 wheelers are easy to miss even for an alert driver. They fit perfectly in the site line of an A pillar on a car or van. ( and we certainly all agree about the blind spots on the side/rear of a four wheeler.) Other than that point, I completely agree with your assessment of tractor-trailers…

And I apologize for using the word "invented" regarding roads and highways. It was definitely inaccurate, and did not illustrate my point. The point is: 4 wheel passenger vehicles DO rule the road. The numbers don't lie. In China, it seems bicycles and mopeds rule the road. And those human-drawn 2-wheel carriages (Whatever: I'm basing that off of a few clips I've seen on TV… )

So, I officially relinquish my point about the original intent of roads in America. My point was about the current purpose.

But hey, all this talk about window tint had me contacting my tint guy yesterday… He said he has some magic windshield tint that keep some heat out without hurting visibility :-) I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:03 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Vettex

Originally Posted by maples01
Ah yes, I believe you like to argue, so for the sake of all, how about everyone drop replying to you about it.
Vettex's type written communication skills could use some improvement, but he's a smart guy that has interesting points.

I'm looking forward to watching the YouTube video that he posted

Old 05-13-2015, 02:00 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by maples01

I'll put you on the ignore list.
I point out facts
some don't like facts
obviously you fall into that group
Vettex's type written communication skills could use some improvement, but he's a smart guy that has interesting points.

Well I'm sharp and to the point. No Frills......

But hey, all this talk about window tint had me contacting my tint guy yesterday… He said he has some magic windshield tint that keep some heat out without hurting visibility :-) I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm interested. I'd like a link to it too if possible. I've searched for such a product to no avail.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro

Windshield tint is illegal where I live, you aren't supposed to put it at the top of the windshield, but cops often ignore it. I've noticed that cars aren't coming with that band at the top of the windshield anymore.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 PM
tims01
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah this guy had the head reducing film for the front also that isn't tinted ..

Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
I need to find a place, I want to get my 73 done, I may ask about the windshield film.

Quick Reply: got my van windows tinted in trade