General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What's the best state in America?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:14 AM
Captain 'Murica
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04badford
But doable , we still need the water ( with out the salt)

I can relate to all those things, SC it is, Awa man I like Jambalaya too

I live in WA (East side) now and I thought I would really like it, but I can't wait to leave. I miss the food down South so bad. First time I walked into a restaurant up in WA and ordered a sweet tea they looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my forehead.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing like whipping up some craw dads in Butter, I know what you mean being from Arizona and Loving the Sonoran style Mexican food, came to Cali4nia, all Jalisco, no body does shredded beef here and not very many green Chile cookers , some places are starting there fire roasted green chilies salsa but not very many, I asked one place for a Sopapilla ( spelled wrong) kind of like a Indian fry bread that you put honey on, they gave me a Fish bowl of soup filled with Gizzards and Intestine ( tripe) pig nose floatin on top , I ate it was pretty good.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
George Mason University has a whole department related to states by "personal freedom". It is interesting and they use a lot of metrics in which I am not especially interested.
Number 1 and 2 seem to be about equal (New Hampshire and Oklahoma). My state of GA is pretty good at #11. Texas where I would like to live is #5.

The worst is New York followed closely by California.
Interesting rarings! Look it up on the internet for a much more detailed review.
You may or may not be surprised and may or may not be pleased.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
North Carolina

Cost of living is still relatively low......

It has all 3 geographical features folks seem to prefer: 1. Coast (ocean). 2. Piedmont (rolling hills and open). 3. Mountains. And you're within 4 to 6 hours of ANY of them no matter where you're at........

Not too hot (although it can get damned hot at times) and not too cold (although it can get dang cold at times).

3 states I'd NEVER live at:

California
New Jersey
Ohio

Old 06-20-2015, 11:49 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The state of intoxication.

Denial is never a problem, why apologize for something you don't remember?

The ladies look much better!

Last week at our church festival, a guy told me he uses his wife as a gauge for drinking. He said when she starts to look good, it's time to stop! F.Y.I., she's a very nice lady, but, it'd take more than a 6 pack, that's all I'm going to say about that.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:30 PM
1975MudRat
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Kansas! Taxes are going up, they are raising the tobacco tax $1.50, State income taxes are going up. Everything seems to be going up. I'm thinking about jumping the border into Missouri! Lower cost of living over there! Plus its hot and humid here. Might have to move to Florida! You all have some good points about living there. I have gone there many times on vacation and have loved it every single time!

Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I let this silly thread go on without commenting for a while---seemed to be just an invitation to a "who squirts the bigger stream........" kinda troll post. However...........

When I'm assessing my so-called rust belt state of Ohio and most specifically the hometown of Columbus and its general surrounding area I'm more than pleased with the state of things.

We have a comparative stable employment situation, are geographically situated to attract solid businesses, both home-grown and transplanted, taxes aren't horrible and for the most part we're not too overly regulated as I've read or heard about in other states.

We're not overwhelmed with the civil strife, major crime against innocents isn't rampant, our inferiority complex ridden social scene isn't top notch but its decent enough there's almost never a night something interesting isn't happening within an hours drive---sometimes that's just across the county of Franklin though. (The orange barrel was once jokingly cited to be our state symbol due all the freeway construction and reconstruction we see nearly year round, our federal tax dollars at work.)

Then I watch the national news and almost constantly see wild fires, drought, floods, shark attacks, tornadoes, buffoons rioting in the streets coz ya know "hands up don't shoot" tells the whole story right?

We're a medium-sized city that rarely is in the news because so far we've avoided those happenings and instances national news covers, mostly tragedies that are hard to even imagine.

I'd never really bash what someone else calls home but for one who likes their relatively stable domicile for now I think we're got it pretty good. Sure we're bashed by those claiming every vehicle can be seen rusting way almost daily but that's irrelevant when compared to every other thing I see going on around the USA.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you----------continue your squirting contest at will.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can I just mention the worst state, would be California
1. out of water Happens.
2. too many politicians. As opposed to?
3. too many Illegal Immigrants. We're not the only ones.
4. Baaaad Governor. At least they haven't been sent to jail.
5. Deep Pockets , spending on the wrong things that the state really needs. Agreed.
6. Higher cost of living ( taxs, fuel , grocery's, on and on and on). Besides taxes, real estate and gas, we are on a par with the other states.
7. Oh did I Mention too Many Lawyers Actually, too many people thinking they can sue.
I love California! Peel back it's civilized layer and you'll see the amazing beauty of this state. Ocean? High mountain forests? Low desert? High desert? Clear snow fed lakes and streams? Yosemite? Yes to all of these.

I have had the opportunity to travel through some other states and have absolutely loved the trip. New Mexico and Alaska are the two that stand out the most for me.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
I was born and raised in south Louisiana. I'm proud of it and proud to be a Cajun. Nice people and we have some of the best food there is. I'm looking forward to moving back there and building a house on my land in the country when I retire from the Coast a Guard next year.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it's whichever state my ex-wife is not in!

Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
I'm pretty sure that it's whichever state my ex-wife is not in!
Tennessee then?

Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Tennessee then?
Perhaps. That's nice country.

My current wife was born there and grew up in Kentucky. Of course, based on that if we ever did get divorced, legally we would still be cousins.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 PM
bigdog660
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I just mention the worst state, would be California
1. out of water
2. too many politicians.
3. too many Illegal Immigrants.
4. Baaaad Governor.
5. Deep Pockets , spending on the wrong things that the state really needs.
6. Higher cost of living ( taxs, fuel , grocery's, on and on and on).
7. Oh did I Mention too Many Lawyers
8. Crazy expensive to register your car/truck.
9. Power robbing smog equipment required, and car/truck must pass inspection every year.
10. Gas among the highest in the nation (except for Hawaii).
11. Electricity and natural gas also near highest in the nation (except for Hawaii).
12. Too many people.
13. Traffic is insane.
14. Weather is boring unless you live in the mountains.
15. Almost always dangerous fire conditions (except when it finally rains or snows).
16. Extreme left thinking (a course that's my personal opinion, so don't bash me).
17. A substantial amount of people have some weird ideas about how to live, but that is as far as I'm going with that so's not to stir anything up.

Yes, I lived there for about 5 years in the bay area, and couldn't wait to leave. Now, if you live out in the country, and particularly in the north 1/3 of the state, you will find it a little better. The only thing that improves are housing cost, traffic, number of people, and a more conservative people.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i really enjoyed Oklahoma during my Cali to ME and back again trip last March,that im thinking about renting an apartment/mobile home/rv there for jan,feb,march to get out of the miserable Maine winter.im thinking anywhere mid south.the lower half is a bit warmer and locals say the prettiest.it also looks like the most affordable place to be to just hunker down and live cheap without work for the 3 months (maybe even dec too,depending on how work goes.)
seems like tornadoes are pretty scarce that time of year,thank goodness.that could be frightful.

average temp for FEB in Maine: 21F
average temp for FEB in Oklahoma : 40F
(central of each state)

snowfall in Maine: 65-100 inches.
snowfall in Oklahoma: 1.5 - 26 inches.

i can handle that.

you've really got to live in a place for a spell to see if it suits you.it's always much different living in a place than visiting on vacation.i hope it's as nice as it appears.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
If you live in Maine by Jeff Foxworthy

A funny post

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What's the best state in America?