1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Ignition coil pack advice/recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:13 PM
83sd
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Then you're looking in the wrong place or you do not have it setup correctly. There should be a section in the display that lists all 8 cylinders and how many misfires were detected for each cylinder.
I would guess his scanner is not mode 6 capable. My matco pro scan will not show me misfire data until the cel is triggered. (on ford only) Mode 6 data and bi directional control was the primary reason I bought the maxidas.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V8SHO
Just out of curiosity, do you have any tips for removing the rearmost driver side coils? I cant get any socket or wrench on the #7 and #8 coil bolts.
I had to loosen my fuel rail and partially remove the injectors to access the #8 COP bolt.
Every other didn't need that additional space.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 AM
alloro
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,434 Posts
This video kinda shows what I'm going through right now:
That was cruel of you to post part 1 and not parts 2 and 3. I was like arrrrrrrgh.

Part 2:

Part 3:

Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 PM
upurz1
Freshman User
[QUOTE=V8SHO;15332918]Glad to hear your Navigator runs great after replacing the coil packs, I'm going to go the same route and use OEM Motorcraft coils as well. Just out of curiosity, do you have any tips for removing the rearmost driver side coils? I cant get any socket or wrench on the #7 and #8 coil bolts. I'll have to go out and get a 7 mm universal and try that.

On my 2002 Lincoln the coils are not bolted down, they are held down by an ignition coil cover that is bolted down with two 10m bolts that where not too bad to get off. however on mine there is an EGR that runs right over the ignition coil cover that makes it more harder to get the cover off and to remove coil #8 and sparkplug #8.

one thing i did buy where longer extensions to get far back of the vehicle.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:46 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by upurz1
On my 2002 Lincoln the coils are not bolted down, they are held down by an ignition coil cover that is bolted down with two 10m bolts that where not too bad to get off.
That's how mine is too, but my 97 expedition had the one bolt per COP setup. IMO they all should be just like on the navigators. A spark plug change on my expedition took 6 hours, but only 2 hours on the navigator.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:48 PM
FoxFord33
Senior User
This may be the only reason to be jealous of us 4.6 SOHC guys. it is super-easy to get at all of the coils and plugs.

But I can't spin my tires!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM
V8SHO
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@alloro
The videos you posted are from a different series (very excellent videos though, he has an awesome youtube channel, so much helpful information). I posted part 1 from "how to find a misfire without a scanner" video series. Basically in parts 2 and 3 he shows how to check for spark at the coil-packs.

The '98 Navigator I'm working on has one 7 mm bolt per coil pack, and the #7 coil/plug sits right underneath of the fuel pressure regulator, just like the Expedition. There are also several vacuum hoses and the EGR and DPFE right in the way as well. I can't complain too much though, I would hate to do this job on the econoline van, there's no room under that tiny hood!

Also, what is the normal fuel pressure for the 5.4L V8 SOHC 2-valve? I read here 28-45 PSI and 40-45 PSI on another post. I figure I'll have to check that next.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:21 AM
alloro
The videos you posted are from a different series
Well at least I tried!

Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM
V8SHO
Mountain Pass
@alloro

Hey, don't take it the wrong way, I really do appreciate the link to the video a lot, realfixesrealfast has excellent vids and helps out a ton! I just wanted to mention it was from a different series so it wouldn't confuse people as to why there were two different vehicles. You know I didn't give the O2 sensor much consideration until I saw that. Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:13 PM
alloro
Hey, don't take it the wrong way
I didn't take it the wrong way, my internet skin is extremely thick. Trust me, if I was pissed off there would be no mistaking it.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 PM
V8SHO
Mountain Pass
Hi everyone, I wanted to post an update and just let everyone know that my misfire problem is resolved. I tested each coil, one by one, and found that #7 coil did not have spark. I changed the spark plugs and swapped the bad coil with a new Motorcraft coil and re-installed everything and the car runs fine now.

I want to say that I ended up pulling the fuel rails off of the injectors to make room, and it helped out immensely! I wish I would've removed the fuel rails from the start, but I read on some posts that it's not absolutely necessary. Removing the fuel rails cut the time in half for me (maybe even more), and I hope to pass this little bit of wisdom on to others that have to do spark plugs or coils on the 97-01 Navigator/Expedition 5.4 V8. Don't go through the struggle as I initially did, the job will be a lot harder and will cause a lot of frustration, and will be quite painful as well (my hands are full of small cuts and bruises)!

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my thread and I really appreciate everyone for sharing advice and thoughts with me, it really helped a lot!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 AM
alloro
I wish I would've removed the fuel rails from the start, but I read on some posts that it's not absolutely necessary.
For the early years it's necessary on the 2-valve engine, not the 4-valve one.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 AM
FoxFord33
Senior User
I know it's a little old, but I just replaced all my coil packs with pretty red ones from MSD. I have a 2004 Expedition with the 4.6 2-valve-per-cylinder heads, and I did not have to remove the fuel rail. I hope this saves some trouble for someone: you can simply flex the rubber boot to do what you need it to do in order to get the old ones out and the new ones in. I did not remove the spark plugs because I had replaced them all very recently when I also replaced the heads. To get them in, I just rotated the coil packs until they slipped into the spark plug holes and made sure they were seated properly before tightening them back down. Recommendation: use a magnetic socket on those retaining bolts, because if they fall down under the intake manifold, you're in for a fishing trip. Hope this helps!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:22 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 99, 5.4l, I just had to remove the back fuel rail bolt and move it up slightly to access #8.

All others it wasn't necessary but I really didn't want to complicate matters by pulling both rails off...just in case one got dirt in it or it didn't re-seal properly upon installation.

Might be something to think about next time if it helps with access.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Waylon77
New User
05 Navigator 5.4 3v 85k miles

I'm starting to get that shudder/misfire that is not throwing a code and need to locate which cylinder it is. Can anyone recommend a good scan tool that is user friendly to find the Mode 6 data that shows misfires per cylinder? Im handy with a wrench but when it comes to technology that's a whole different story. I see people say a Harbor Freight one can do it but which model? There seems to be alot of junk out there and I cannot afford to get one of the $500+ pro scanners. Thanks for any help y'all may have.

If I plan on keeping the vehicle I'll need plugs done soon so I'd like to fix this problem to give me some time to think it over. I love my Navigator but after replacing the air suspension with coils it's just not the same driving experience, but no car payment is nice.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil pack advice/recommendation