Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

390fe swap in 89 f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Jacob Parks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
390fe swap in 89 f150

hey i wanna do a write on a build i am about to finish up on my truck. the truck is a 89 f150 xlt lariat extended cab long bed 302 4 speed manual. this was my first vehicle and love it but not to big on the 302 but was still a nice truck. a while back after attempting to change an oil pan gasket and ending up having to pull the motor to do so i messed up the radiator. pulled a 8500 lb trailer with the messed up radiator and overheated.after a few months of fighting to do my first rebuild, that didn't work (know what i did wrong no w). i got another 302 to put in it. that engine had issues also that i didn't know about got it most the way straight out to find out that it is a typical ford and the electrical system is shot. I HATE ELECTRICAL.

i found a guy with a 390 fe out of a 69 F250 with a bellhousing that wanted to trade for the blown 302 for his mustang. MADE THE TRADE. all the motor needed was a tune up, throw out bearing,carb, and exhaust manifolds. no big deal.

SO I BEGIN THE BUILD. and for all of those that say it can't be done, it has been done.
1) pulled the front clip off to allow easy access to engine bay (highly recommend this)
2) pulled the 302 and all wiring harnesses out of under the hood
3) pull the dash board all pull all wiring out be carefull i reused some of the accessory harnesses
4) the 390 does not fit in 302 perches some say to get a rear sump pan and it will fit but i didn't want to put out the money so a made my own mounts( will need a welder)
5) what i did was took some 3in c channel cut 2 pieces the length of the 390 mount and drill hole to match
6) bolt them on the engine than all i did was mock up roughly where the engine was going to be, mark them then welded them
7) i have mine bolted on top of the perch and it works well, do it how you want though and just ran a 1/2in grade 8 bolt through it
8) do the same for the other side they will be a little different just trial and error tack weld, make them fit then finish welding them
9)transmission, bolt on the bellhousing to trans, i pulled a lever clutch assembly and fork from the junkyard for a 73 f100 put the fork in and bolt to motor
10) loosen trans mount bolts till they are still half on enough that they are started, jackup back of the trans as much as possible and put spacers in between the 2 bolts, tighten up the mount
11)fuel, cap off manual fuel pump drop the gas tank sand and paint it while its out, 87-89 these trucks had 2 low pressure pumps in tank then a high pressure on the frame. get 15 ft of 3/8 fuel line put it on the output line on the low pressure pump, skip the high pressure, leave the emission and return line on the pump open.
12) cut the wiring harness going to the pump about a foot back, the two outside wires are grounds i ran them together to the frame, the red wire is the hot for the pump and the blue one is for the gauge, ran a 16 gauge wire off of the red and blue wire up to the cab, re-install tank
13)clutch,bolt bracket on to frame will have to drill holes, take the level going to the master cylinder cut off the nub and drill a 1/2 in hole where the nub was, twist this piece toward the front of the truck a little when re installing, drill a 1 in hole in the floor were needed for clutch lever and hook it up
14) electrical, im using a push button start and toggle on off, run a wire from the distributor to the neg. terminal on the coil, ran a hot from the battery to a toggle and from the toggle to the pos. terminal on the coil. run the fuel pump through the same switch to fuel pump with relay in middle ( THIS IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED TO MAKE THE MOTOR RUN, i love it)
15)run a wire from the battery to the relay, relay to starter, a hot to the push button and from the push button to the relay
16)get a voltage regulator and look at the wiring diagram below to wire, it is simple
17)get a fuel pressure regulator off ebay for $20 set it to 5 psi
18)put front end back together fill fluids and fire it up it seems difficult but is a simple swap with proper tools
19) put dash back together and hook up gauges

still working on all the accessories, many pics coming very soon let me know what you guys think (or any questions) or anything i missed
also forgot to mention for the oil filter the stock one wont fit i'm using a fram for a 96 dodge ram and it fits great

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wi...9charging2.jpg

Last edited by Jacob Parks; 05-05-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot to write somthing important