Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F1 Meadow Green Paint Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM
New User

hulleywoodworking is starting off with a positive reputation.
1951 F1 Meadow Green Paint Question

I have a question about the Meadow Green paint color. I purchased a 1951 F1 that the PO had already stripped to bare metal and primed. A few of the interior trim pieces were not done, so I have found some areas of original color. The green paint appears to be a bit on the olive side. Of course, I can't compare it a color chip online, due to the color rendering issues. So is this what Meadow Green really looks like? Slightly olive drab?

Hope someone can help.

John
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking View Post
I have a question about the Meadow Green paint color. I purchased a 1951 F1 that the PO had already stripped to bare metal and primed. A few of the interior trim pieces were not done, so I have found some areas of original color. The green paint appears to be a bit on the olive side. Of course, I can't compare it a color chip online, due to the color rendering issues. So is this what Meadow Green really looks like? Slightly olive drab?

Hope someone can help.

John
Every example of Ford Truck Meadow Green I have seen is a dark green color. I know what you see on your monitor is not going to match a real paint color, but I think it would be darker than olive drab.

Hopefully someone with a Meadow Green truck will come along. I think Abe's 54 is Meadow Green.

And Welcome to FTE!

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 PM
New User

The color I have is a dark green, but it is not a bright green; more like a dark olive drab but with a bit more green. I would say it is not blue or yellow green, but a black green.

Does that describe Meadow Green?

John
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:

Hope someone can help.

John
If you are looking to paint the truck the 'original' color, the first thing you should do is to find the factory stampings on the firewall that will include the original paint code. That way you will be sure you have the actual color. When I did my truck, I found original green paint behind the gas tank, it didn't look that dark, and looking at paint chips I determined that it was Palisade green, which was a 1950 color. It wasn't until after I had the truck painted that I found that the Norfolk trucks had the firewall stampings on the driver's side behind the hood spring, turned out the original color was Meadow green.

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
The color I have is a dark green, but it is not a bright green; more like a dark olive drab but with a bit more green. I would say it is not blue or yellow green, but a black green.

Does that describe Meadow Green?

John
Does it look like the truck on the left?

Click the image to open in full size.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 PM
New User

My 1951 F1 doesn't have any stamping on the firewall. I have inspected it very carefully and can't find anything. Maybe it will show after I sand off the primer that the PO applied.

John
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Does it look like the truck on the left?

My color is less blue and more black than that, at least on my computer.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Phone company trucks were a darker green
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Phone company trucks were a darker green
That is pretty close!

So what color is that?

John
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
It would show on the ratings plate as "SS", a special color for the customer.

CarpaintOnline - Search By PPG Code for car paint- Bell Telephone Green
Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Senior User

Horizonblue is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just to confuse things further, your description sounds a bit like Sheffield green, a Ford of Canada colour for that year. Do you know where your truck was made?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Elder User

jimcar-9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimcar-9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
DinnerHill SpeedShop: Original Color Codes

1956 F100 272 Y-block
Follow my restoration at: DinnerHill SpeedShop
Jimmy Carlsson
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Just another Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcar-9 View Post
So these two pics are the same truck in different lighting. The top pic looks darker than the bottom pic. But this is Meadow Green.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM
New User

Doesn't match either one. And the truck was manufactured in Highland Park, MI.

I'll see if I can find another sample on the parts and post a picture.

Thanks so far.

John
Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Senior User

Connecticut Calvin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There was only one spot on my entire truck that I could locate the original Meadow Green and that was under the hood hinge plate. Here is a close up of that paint. It still has gloss on it. Maybe the close up can help you compare it to your existing paint in question.

Original Meadow Green under hood hinge plate.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM