1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-52 with 01 Cobra donor car Info/Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48-52 with 01 Cobra donor car Info/Ideas

So i have a 2001 Cobra with a T56 that got in a wreck a wile back, I have been kicking around the idea of getting a 48-52 preferably a 48-50 F1 and building off of my mustang I have. Being that i have the entire car i could use what ever i want off of it. The car was involved in a wreck that smashed the driver side wheel and cab so i would probably loose some parts there, other wise all is good to go. Im mainly looking at inspiration and pointers from others who have built these with similar options. I have searched far and wide and have not found to many build threads with a T56/4.6 in a 48-52. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have what sounds to me like a really fun project in mind. The engine compartment of a 48-52 is fairly narrow. Much narrower than the 53-56 or any newer truck. And the 4.6 4 cam engine is pretty wide, so you may need to do some minor surgery on the inner fender panels. Other than that one small hurdle, everything else should be straight forward. I don't remember if the 2001 Cobra had the irs instead of the straight axle, but either way the rear end could be made to work. The front suspension from the Mustang is a no-go, but if it were me, that package would be perfect with the Heidt's superideII front suspension. It's tube A-arms and coilover shocks, and they ride and handle fantastic. If you need a solid project truck to put it all in, I've got a spare taking up space just waiting for a deal like this.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The engine is tapered at the bottom so that will help with the mounting points, you will just have to measure the width up top.

Here is a 302 vs 4.6 picture for reference.

302 ford vs 4.6 dohc

Sanderson Street Rod, Roadster, and Classic Pickup and Truck Header Applications. 1948-1952 Ford Truck Headers using Ford 4.6L modular V8 engines. These are for a SOHC not sure how close they are to A dohc. But you should see what shape you want with a original style frame.

Since you have the whole car and know it's history you are at a advantage at that.

Here are a few questions?

Were you planning on using just the engine or were you planning on using any of the suspension? Rims and tires?

How much performance (power, handling, etc) were you wanting to get out of the truck you are wanting to build?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...n-1948-f1.html

This thread describes some of the problems one owner had on engine fitment.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
I have a Tremec 5 speed and Ford 5.0 Coyote motor in my Wife's 52. Engine fit with no cutting of the inner fenders of firewall. Coyote is about the same size as the 4.6.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
I just finished building my 99 4.6L with a Tremec Tr3650 for my 1951. It fits great.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Old 04-23-2015, 05:29 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
very nice info guys thanks! I am going probably going with Heights IFS, and use the motor/trans out of the mustang. The rear end is IRS in the mustang i dunno how well that would go into one of these old trucks so i would probably go for another option. As far as harnesses would you guys recommend using mine out of my mustang or going to a 3rd party company that makes a easier option for wiring up the ECM and what not. I was actually thinking about trying to leave the immobilizer system intact because i still have the actually key and ECM and everything for my mustang, Leaving the immobilizer system in tact is just a extra security idea.

Basically if i can use something out of my mustang i would, it just cuts down on cost. One thing i defiantly would want to integrate is a hydraulic clutch instead of the cable driven that the mustangs have.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:00 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
You can use the IRS if you want. There area few others who hace done it. Itll ride great but be a bit of welding/work.

As for the harness and ECM.....

I am using a stand-alone harness and I have the PATS (immobilizer) disabled in 1 of my 2 ECMs.

You can use the stock harness if you prefer but you might have to keep more factory components intact and transplant them into the truck. This can be an issue due to the lack of room under the dash.

It all boils down to how good you are with fabrication work and how well you can read schematics/trace wiring. If you have some time, I will be starting my wiring this or next week (different harnesses, I know, but I can keep an eye out for any hiccups)

Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
Just picked up 2 1950 F-1s and got them delivered the other day! The project will hopefully start soon! I was going to post pictures but Didn't know how yet. I don't have the option to attach anything

Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey BK,
Posting pics is a lot easier if you join the site. Membership runs $20/yr I think. As a member you get a small paperclip icon &
can post directly from your hard drive (easy). There is a way to post a link to a third party place where you are hosting
pics - not sure of the whole process.

The other benefit to being a member is it get's rid of most of the annoying pop-up advertising. If you are going to
be on here a lot - might be worth it to simplify & improve your visits.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-11-2015, 12:25 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
ill have to look into that, I haven't even seen the trucks yet other than through pictures as they are in California with family and I live in Illinois,
Word is someone has grafted a Camaro subframe and rear end into one of the trucks, the other is a 1 ton with a flat bed ford script bed. Ill be selling that one when I find out the type of money to ask for it. I hear the script bed is somewhat rare.

Ill have to sign up so I can post some pictures. The bodies are both super clean.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:32 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Membership isn't required to post pics - and I believe the process is the same regardless. Select the yellow postcard icon when replying to invoke the pic insertion page. Also, if you edit your User CP profile by adding your location, it is a help to the other forum users.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:33 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
sir you are correct!
truck 1

Old 07-12-2015, 12:36 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
truck 2

Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM
bkhsvt
Freshman User
i got to find out more info on this camaro subframe, i won't see the trucks till october unfortunately so all i have to go off of is pictures. The plan is still to use the cobra drive train. We were going to keep the flatbed for parts, but i may just sell it as the main truck seems to be in pretty good condition.

Quick Reply: 48-52 with 01 Cobra donor car Info/Ideas