Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

? for people who have owned PStrokes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So essentially to replace all the sensors computer and good injectors in parts is about 4 grand ? So if you have a shop do a major tune up on one of these motors it can be 5 to 7 grand ? what about the wiring wearing out and going bad in the engine valve covers itself ?

I have also heard a horror story or 2 from like people parking the newer trucks for the winter or off season and rats get into the electrical wires under the hood and tear that stuff up ?

I understand Cummins has a second generation motor 5.9 that is mechanical and direct injected ? people like to put these in PUp's. I hear the Dodge chasses are junk ?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the only thing worth a crap in a dodge isnt even made by dodge lol

only replace sensors if they dont work
the ones that do work will work for a long time.
if you got the cash and you wanna do it, go for it,

Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IDIoit
the only thing worth a crap in a dodge isnt even made by dodge lol

only replace sensors if they dont work
the ones that do work will work for a long time.
if you got the cash and you wanna do it, go for it,

The Dodge cab is that bad ? , so the biggest problem on a PS is when it comes time to change injectors ?

Something else I noticed was the non turbo motor is way easier to wrench than the turbo model IDI. Is a non turbo as good as a T if you just pull like 5 grand below 50 around town ?

Hey and thanks for all the info.

I know for interstate pulling you have to have a turbo mandatory if you want descent power and fuel economy.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:13 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
ive owned 2 non turbo IDI's, and after buying my 3rd, i will never run a N/A diesel again, its a preference thing.
a NA IDI will do fine with light loads and not in a hurry.

if your asking about N/A powerstrokes, ive never seen one

Old 04-21-2015, 05:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,117 Likes on 2,174 Posts
i am going to be doing turbo impeller, injectors, glow plugs, plenum inserts, and all new boots on my 02 7.3 powerstroke in the next few weeks. it is going to cost around $1,000 for parts, and $250 for the guy to put them all in because i can mot get up into the engine due to my bad leg.
the guys that say injectors cost $3,000 are putting super high performance parts in. i am going to have my stock injectors refurbished by one of our vendors with a stellar reputation.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I was referring to the IDI motor, the PS has to have a Turbo from what I understand and a IDI will run without it. You see this is the thing by the time you put a turbo on a IDI you might as well buy the real diesel which is the power stroke so that is why I want a 94 T model.

The IDI T model has the advantage of being able to just disconnect the turbo and the motor will run fine I hear the PS has to have it ? plus a IDI T can run on anything I gather ? where the PS cannot ? that is why I have been trying to hold out for a 94 T model in good shape. I may very well just fix mine but it is not as clean as I would like.

A guy here in town took his PS out and put a Cummins 2nd gen in his F350 and said it was the best thing he ever did. He runs waste oil and it has saved him a fortune on fuel and he likes the DI mechanical plus he said it pulled better.

A Cummins six is so easy to work on.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Realslowww
The IDI T model has the advantage of being able to just disconnect the turbo and the motor will run fine I hear the PS has to have it ? plus a IDI T can run on anything I gather ? where the PS cannot ? that is why I have been trying to hold out for a 94 T model in good shape. I may very well just fix mine but it is not as clean as I would like.
i wouldn't want a factory turbo idi.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nnot-find.html

plus ATS no longer supports the turbo's either.you can handle the actual turbo,but seals,brackets,o-rings,nuts and bolts,etc.etc.etc...no support.
im mean theres way around this,for example if your cross over pipes rust out,get on mandrel bends.com and fab up some new ones,have your local fab shop weld them up and things like this.it just sucks when you can't make a call and get a part (overnight if need be) to keep rocking is all.

that's not much of an argument either im afraid. just because you could run an n/a idi,doesn't mean you'd ever want too after running with the forced induction.

you know what you should do? go grab a 94.5-97 psd truck.a nice clean one like what your after.rip out the psd,sell it and transplant in one of your idi engines.
you'll get the clean truck your after,recoup some coin on the engine and be a happy man.
just check ahead of time if you need emission tests etc.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Hey, thanks for the help. If I buy a PS I will just run it and have a IDI motor for a back up. I just missed another clean one too. A 97 with 120 on it all done up. So the 94 is a rare setup, it appears it was a bit better in some areas compared to a stock IDI set up ?

So basically the PS engine is the way to go as far as just being a great engine.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i am going to be doing turbo impeller, injectors, glow plugs, plenum inserts, and all new boots on my 02 7.3 powerstroke in the next few weeks. it is going to cost around $1,000 for parts, and $250 for the guy to put them all in because i can mot get up into the engine due to my bad leg.
the guys that say injectors cost $3,000 are putting super high performance parts in. i am going to have my stock injectors refurbished by one of our vendors with a stellar reputation.

Fallen down one to many chimneys eh or has the family mutt's been gnawing it off at the bottom of the fire place.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey, thanks for the help. If I buy a PS I will just run it and have a IDI motor for a back up. I just missed another clean one too. A 97 with 120 on it all done up. So the 94 is a rare setup, it appears it was a bit better in some areas compared to a stock IDI set up ?

So basically the PS engine is the way to go as far as just being a great engine.
no! come on you lazy ******* lol! if you don't swap that idi right in as soon as you buy it,you'll most likely never run into enough of an issue to justify ever doing it.so you might as well just sell the idi's to those who can use them.
you do understand all of the 7.3l's are legendary for being extremely well built and long lasting don't you? just as the cummins engine is.
being computer controlled and directly injected makes them far more efficient than the idi can ever be made to do.

the factory turbo engine was built up a bit better over n/a yup.but needlessly so.waste of weight in the rotating assembly.
this has been proven with the compounded millions of miles placed on n/a blocks being turbocharged since the 80's and still many of these engines are still running today at 2015 without a reman.no smoke.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
A turbo IDI makes how much HP, and I heard the T IDI's were known to get better mileage than a PS when set up right. You cannot run waste oil in a PS though can you ?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
i would not run WMO through a DI engine. those injectors are finicky.
and if you find a GOOD set of PS injectors for under a grand, be very weary about them.
those sound like a knock off of pensacola and or diesel care bull chit.
and a knock off of either of those companys is begging for trouble.

IMO the 7.3 IDI is the real diesel engine, not the PS

to run WMO in an IDI, all you gotta do is have the correct blend, and correct filters, also the correct valving to always run diesel upon start up.

i love my powerstrokes. but my IDI has my soul.

if you think an IDI to a PS swap is as easy as 1.2.3. sell everything you have and buy a TDI.

i have both,IDI and PS swaps into older chassis's there not comparison.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
and if you find a GOOD set of PS injectors for under a grand, be very weary about them.

IMO the 7.3 IDI is the real diesel engine, not the PS

to run WMO in an IDI, all you gotta do is have the correct blend, and correct filters, also the correct valving to always run diesel upon start up.

if you think an IDI to a PS swap is as easy as 1.2.3. sell everything you have and buy a TDI.

I do not understand what you are saying about the swap, if you want to run waste oil the IDI is the only one to have correct ?

Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
I do not understand what you are saying about the swap, if you want to run waste oil the IDI is the only one to have correct ?
its not the only one to have, but it sure does make things easier.

swapping a IDI to a powerstroke is alot of work.
electronically.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,117 Likes on 2,174 Posts
I was referring to the IDI motor, the PS has to have a Turbo from what I understand and a IDI will run without it. You see this is the thing by the time you put a turbo on a IDI you might as well buy the real diesel which is the power stroke so that is why I want a 94 T model.
i see aftermarket turbos on the internet all the time for around $500.

A guy here in town took his PS out and put a Cummins 2nd gen in his F350 and said it was the best thing he ever did. He runs waste oil and it has saved him a fortune on fuel and he likes the DI mechanical plus he said it pulled better.
some people have the gold plated cummings is the best thing since sliced bread mentality.
the 1988 non turbo 7.3 made 35 hp more than the 5.9, got better fuel mileage, and would out pull the 5.9 any day, and every day.
plus the 5.9 exhaust note sounds like a camel farting into a coffee can.

A Cummins six is so easy to work on.
a cummings 5.9 is like a small block chevy, even a blind retarded one handed monkey can make one run half decent.

the 94 IDI-T i really nothing more than a 7.3 with a slightly lower compresssion ratio, an ATS turbo, and a crushed downpipe

Fallen down one to many chimneys eh or has the family mutt's been gnawing it off at the bottom of the fire place.
a little bit of both.

A turbo IDI makes how much HP, and I heard the T IDI's were known to get better mileage than a PS when set up right. You cannot run waste oil in a PS though can you ?
the IDI-T only makes 10 HP more than the N/A IDI, 195 with a turbo compared to 185 without.

i would not run waste motor oil in any of my engines. the contaminants play hell with the injector pump and injectors.
there is a thread going on rite now about a guy that bought a truck that was being run of waste oil that was a smokey gutless pig.
he is in the process of removing all the abortions the previous owner did to try to save it from the crushers yard.

Quick Reply: ? for people who have owned PStrokes.