1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

To build a Flareside (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 AM
roadrash63
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice build,
id like to find one !

Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks! Don't forget you can do like i did... source a flareside bed, and then look for a styleside with a tired bed

Flareside beds are getting a bit tough to find i admit

Old 08-24-2015, 03:37 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
For the sake of recording the build on this thread, posting a link here to a "sidebar" thread I started.

This was to get more insight on properly painting and protecting the bedsides while in the midst of the build

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...guys-rust.html

Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Pausing for a moment of inspiration

Ok, had to pause for a bit of inspiration. Here's a pic of a flareside, found on cardomain. Owner built it by shortening an F350 diesel's frame by 16 inches and adding a flareside bed. Like the Alcoa wheels. Look at the lugs - nice axles... sweet

OK i digress. Back to finishing mine

Old 08-25-2015, 05:06 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Check out the Patina on this hood...

Check out the hood that I picked up from the local junkyard... it was off a green F100 that had seen some better days but was very straight. I almost hated taking the hood off the old girl.

For the patina guys, it's perfect. No dings that I can find at all, even has all four letters on it. I got it though because mine has dings and it's cheaper to replace with this one than to have the body work done.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Old Fords never die! Good find.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:56 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Ok, back to the steps and brackets, and the rear pan.

Thanks to some great advice earlier in the thread (Thanks Brad!) I'm only using good PPG or SEM primer on the surfaces that will be finish painted. The underside is getting rustoleum primer and overall will be semi-flat black.

Here are the steps and brackets, and the rear pan. Undersides done in primer then semi-flat, surfaces to be painted done in SEM's self etching grey primer:

Need to do a second coat of the grey primer. With all, tried to get good thicknesses on the edges and corners.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:51 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Weather finally a bit cooler here in the Carolinas. Did a few things on the truck, most interestingly - found what appears to be a good Rustoleum paint match for the burgundy interior.

Rustoleum's Satin Cabernet, sprayed on the back of my '85 XLT door card, was very close. When I then hit it with a second coat of Clear Flat, it got very, very close.

Started a separate thread on it, just to note it for posterity:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...interiors.html

I'll report on how it holds up. It's not a dedicated plastic / vinyl paint, so am not sure how it would hold up on a flexible dash pad ... but for the harder surfaces I am hoping that it works well.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Update on the truck

Moving forward now more rapidly, got the truck back from Ted at Archer Automotive in Lake Wylie - props for Ted if there are any FTE members in the Charlotte NC area by the way, he knows Fords and cut his teeth in the California Desert in the early eighties so he's especially fond of our trucks

BIG difference with the Redhead steering gearbox installed. It's gone from occasionally scary with a broad dead spot in the steering - to fun to drive. I wouldn't say the truck drives like new yet, but it completely changed the driving experience.

The bed is getting close to ready, and also need to give big props to Eric at Amvet Auto for his repairs. He butt welded new flange sections on where needed and repaired the fenders, some things that were beyond my knowledge.

Today did some little things with the interior because of rain. Re-installing the painted door and kick panels, etc. Amazing how much funk there is in the truck that seems to come back. Am convinced that there's a hidden funk tank up under the dash someplace and it keeps slowly depositing it in the interior. Looking forward to the bigger stuff getting done so I can strip the interior out and get it redone.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a side note

53-56 "Ford script" tail lamps would look awesome.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Those script lamps WOULD look good!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Moved the bed last night, to get it back to the house where I can work on it more frequently. Still to go: levelling the flanges up on the bedside, drilling holes, filing them square to accept the carriage bolts. Then mounting on the truck! Will be using plywood as a temporary bed until the final paint is done.

Here it is, first time the bed is "on the truck"... well, both beds are. And the workstand...

Old 10-14-2015, 02:11 AM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AWESOME BUILD!

Im doing the oppisite lol, i wound up buying a bullnose with 137k on the clock i want a flareside bed for, appearntly ford didnt make an ext cab flareside. So im hunting a bed. Probably buy a worn out flareside rob the bed and misc parts then throw my parts on that truck and recoup some cash. Ill be tuning in for sure. I used to live outside of Charlette

Old 10-14-2015, 01:24 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Yep I'll be putting the Flareside bed on shortly - the 1995 styleside bed is coming off, hopefully can sell it to recoup a little something. Let us know when you get a build thread going!

When you find a flareside, don't forget to grab the fuel filler neck, bumper, and sheet metal at the back of the cab if its just bolted on

Old 10-14-2015, 03:02 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just finished mine, Painted it about 2 weeks ago

Quick Reply: To build a Flareside (with pics)