1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 F100 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 AM
mike.rogers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great working and looking good....

Old 04-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Did you mean Jag IRS?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:52 PM
seanf100
New User
love it .....another one in the UK ....watching with interest .....keep at it ...

Old 05-01-2016, 04:14 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Carried on stripping it down with the intention of repainting the chassis and tidying up the engine for the time being as it was a bit of a mess.
Also wasnt happy with how the chassis had faired..it was Shultz'd only 8 months or so ago and it looks terrible...can only surmise that like lots of products these day..it was utter crap!

I then started to strip down the engine. Being as i have such good access to it right now, seemed silly not to do some maintenance and tidy it up.

Test fit of new Headers! I love them!

Bit of sand blasting and use of the parts washer...

Chose to repaint the block black for now to help keep it looking clean. When i eventually rebuild the motor completely i expect i'll redo it in red.

Enamel'd the intake, rocker covers and valley cover and its starting to look alot better.

New Dizzy Vs Old Dizzy

Intake coated...

The new carb

Should all go back together over the next few days..And providing i haven't totally ballsed it up..run alot better. The new carb and dizzy im hoping will make a huge difference as both my previous items didnt work great together. The carb was too big and needed a rebuild, the dizzy was worn and in need of TLC also.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:14 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Built it back up today minus the waterpump which should be here friday.

It didnt start though. No spark so something is wrong with the new Dizzy setup. Will look back over it tomorrow. Its a TPS (Top Street Performance HEI Dizzy) Sure its something simple. Fingers Crossed.
I also had a "**** it" moment when trying to source a LHD Jag steering rack and ended up ordering a full Mustang 2 kit from Steve Lang..Expected next week and truck is already stripped down for the install.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:15 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Carried on with the strip down..Its now pretty bare. Cab is off, axles all gone. Its great to have it in this state, but at the same time i have that slightly scary thought in the back of my mind.. "Oh ****, i hope this goes back together" lol.
Never done a project this in depth before on my own. Always used to work with my father so this is a good break out step for me. Next few weeks should be interesting.
More Pics.

XJS Rear End picked up. Stripped it out of its cage and measured it up..Needs to be narrowed a fair bit, id say a healthy 3"-5" each side to get the stance i want and wheel width etc.

Not sure whether to try and narrow the rear parts myself or have someone do them. Any suggestions? Need to get on the blower now tomorrow and order up some parts.
Also unsure what the score is with the Jag handbrake system. Random little system those add on calipers. Is the system any good or should i bin them and find another way?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:16 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Solved my issue in the end. Ended up making the sump into a rear sump design. I cut off the sump two inches below flange. Welded in a flat plate until after it cleared the axle and then a new oil reservoir and repositioned the ooil pick up etc. It'll do the job for the time being.

I also had to remount the engine and gearbox two inches higher. Made some simple box section mounts for the gesrbox and used landrover mounts on the front.

Will need to order some new rubber mounts for the box.

Then moved onto the IFS finally.

Got it tacked in. Trial fitted some items etc and once i was happy took it back apart. Painted some items and welded it all in place fully. I was also lucky as just after i completed my final weld.. I ran out of Argon. Lol.

Got to add the disks and calipers now one night this week and i can move onto other things.
Pleased so far.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Just had a delivery. Cant wait to see these on the completed truck.

and a new shiny tilt column

Im on nights now sunday, monday and tuesday and then off for 12 days so expecting alot of progress hopefully.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:18 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Spent today sorting out my unit. Tidying it up, organising my work space and bench. Put some racking up and organised the parts into sections etc. I did have a quick play with the truck and slid the IRS under it and had a look at measuring how much im going to need to narrow it so the wheels sit inside the arches.

Pulled the new middle Crossmember out of its box and had a look. Its one of Andy's with a prop loop

I then let my mate loose with some spray cans on the side of my unit. That wall used to be an interior wall and some of the building was flattened and the entrances into rooms bricked up and it looked well. So I let him do some graffiti art. All my closest friends have Jap crap and I do a fair bit of work for them all, Just finished fitting a V8 into my friends IS200. They own a jap car club and its become a bit of a running joke now that its their world head quarters. He only went and painted it on the side lol. I didn't expect it, but I think it looks pretty cool so happy for it to stay there. Will see if he can do something hot-roddy inside.

More updates maybe tomorrow, but definitely Wednesday on.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:01 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Wow, you have been busy. Great work!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:39 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
First day off today, worked nights last night so i went home, had a few hours and then got up and on it. Made some progress today but also hit a major snag which im abit gutted about but its all part and parcel off custom cars etc so I'll have to roll with it.

Front end is all but finished and ready to go back on the ground. Discs and bearings and callipers all fitted etc and it looks great

Then started looking at the rear end. Mounted the cross-member in place i bought from Pop Browns which i initially got as i thought it would save time but its not going to work for me. Its not going to give anywhere near the ride height i want so im going to have to fabricate something. I guess i should have in the first place but i was hoping it would save time. Never mind eh.

Will get right to work tomorrow morning and hopefully get something sorted tomorrow in my head. I have an idea of what i plan to do so will see if it comes together over the next few days.