Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Up Pipe Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:51 PM
KMUL
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up Pipe Leaking

Howdy... I have been searching but my search skills are not so good. Are there any threads on how to change the up pipe? Apologies if this is an obvious one.
Local shop said mine is leaking, and they wanted over $2k to replace it and all the other pipes back there, down pipe, y pipe, cac kit, etc.
Really I just want to know if there is a good step by step thread on it. Would also be nice if anyone could enlighten me as to how I can spot this leak and verify how serious it is.

Thanks a ton gents!

'02 Excursion, 7.3l, 4x4, 120k miles.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure there are plenty of write ups on DIY up pipe replacement on here.

2K??????? WOW, they must be looking to take you for a ride...........
I'd think turbo R&R plus maybe 2 additional hours for up pipes(being generous here) should be no more than $800 out the door parts and labor.

Look for soot on the firewall near the engine/transmission area, behind the turbo. Should be pretty obvious.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a lot of $$$

I'm in the process myself and if I go for a turbo, up pipe and fuel system over haul I'll have a good detailed write up for everyone. But there should be plenty in this forum.

The easiest way to check is have someone start the truck (a cold start the following morning) while you are under the hood. Stand on a step ladder and get a good visual just behind the turbo. Have your buddy start the truck and look for soot blowing out of the up pipe collector just behind the turbo. I'll just add, watch yourself on moving parts fan, belt, etc.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM
lartross
Elder User
It is one of the more challenging jobs I've done on my truck, involving turbo removal and removing the uppipes from the headers. I took the passenger side wheel well out to ease access there and getting the "baby butt" back on the turbo will have you not very happy. I used a bungee cord to hold it to the baby butt. It's a bitch, but, certainly not worth $2000 to me.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
lartross
Elder User
Related to where you are, you may have rust issues to deal with also, which really can be a mess.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 PM
KMUL
Cross-Country
Gents, thanks for all the good replies. I looked all around behind the turbo, and from underneath and I'm just not seeing any soot that would indicate any leak. I even put my hand around where I could reach and don't feel any rush of air or see any smoke either.
I replaced the exhaust (turbo back) a few years back and it's still very clean on the firewall and on the up/down/y (baby's butt) too. I think the mechanic who diagnosed this might be mistaken. Perhaps he saw some old oil splatter or something, who knows. But I'll be asking him about it next time I'm in there.

Again, thanks for all the input, as usual, you all really helped me out!

Slainte

Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are your boost numbers ? Is your mileage way down or lacking power more than usual ?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 AM
KMUL
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
what are your boost numbers ? Is your mileage way down or lacking power more than usual ?
Hey Guitarpicr, I don't have boost numbers, but my mileage hasn't changed noticeably. The power question is interesting... there are some days where I wish I had more, but who doesn't?! Honestly though, haven't noticed a change in acceleration or towing. Any recommendations on a good way to track all those numbers? Ideally a plug and play app for my phone or something like that vs. a whole instrument stack?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Popular around here are Torque Pro(Android) and a bluetooth OBDII adapter. Last I checked Torque Pro was $5 and bluetooth adapters are all over the place, but the better end of them is up around $100 I think.

Not sure on anything for Apple products.

Baatzy