6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:22 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
I agree that the Sailun are great and have recommended them to people who don't want to spend on the GY's. However, as other's mentioned, they warranty on the GY's is outstanding on both the tires and trailer damaged caused by them in a blowout. That alone is worth the upcharge. I can get 6 mounted and balanced for $325 per at my local shop so off I go later this week. Will be installing solid bolt in metal stems while there too to keep my TPMS from flapping in the breeze. Did the same routine on the last rig and was a perfect worry free setup.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not just go with 235/85-16 LT tires?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Why not just go with 235/80-16 LT tires?
Couple reasons. First is the aforementioned Goodyear warranty for the G614's. The second is probably silly but I just don't like putting 6k worth of tires on 7k axles on a 21k GVWR vehicle. Yes, 3k will always be on the pin, but I still like the extra #...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Couple reasons. First is the aforementioned Goodyear warranty for the G614's. The second is probably silly but I just don't like putting 6k worth of tires on 7k axles on a 21k GVWR vehicle. Yes, 3k will always be on the pin, but I still like the extra #...
Rodney......I am curious: When ready for camping.....Fresh water, LP, Gas for Generator (if used), stuff, cloths, food.........
What is the Pin Weight ???

Mine is 4,350lbs. Nothing heavy stored up front.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
He now has seen that the Marathons and the 614s are miles apart as tires go.
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that the Gy614 is a great tire and is worlds better than the Marathons... Problem is that the money would go to GY and since they have refused to support their other tires to **ANY** degree, I am loth to put one single red cent more into their pockets.. Forever.

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Rodney......I am curious: When ready for camping.....Fresh water, LP, Gas for Generator (if used), stuff, cloths, food.........
What is the Pin Weight ???

Mine is 4,350lbs. Nothing heavy stored up front.
Roy, If you take a look at most other fivers the same length as yours, you'll see that the Toy Hauler axles are just a little further back than the normal fiver.. This puts a forward weight bias on the trailer to make up for the weight they are built to carry in the garage. Since you don't carry heavy toys, just a bedroom back there, your pin weight is going to be higher.. Hopefully not higher than the chassis is rated for...

Old 04-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that the Gy614 is a great tire and is worlds better than the Marathons... Problem is that the money would go to GY and since they have refused to support their other tires to **ANY** degree, I am loth to put one single red cent more into their pockets.. Forever.

Roy, If you take a look at most other fivers the same length as yours, you'll see that the Toy Hauler axles are just a little further back than the normal fiver.. This puts a forward weight bias on the trailer to make up for the weight they are built to carry in the garage. Since you don't carry heavy toys, just a bedroom back there, your pin weight is going to be higher.. Hopefully not higher than the chassis is rated for...
Yes, I understand that... I might be able to lighten up the front end on the 5th'er a little. This is a big part of why we went with the Dually. The old truck did very well. (1) I was over Gross Combined Weight. (2) 1,000 lbs over the truck gross weight (11,500 lbs) (3) A little over the rear axle gross weight. And.......I had not put in a 90 Gal Aux Fuel Tank (about 650 Lbs)
Also talking with some friends in other states, I run the risk of legal problems, especially if I get in a serious accident.
The Dually eliminated all those concerns.........

Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I just don't like putting 6k worth of tires on 7k axles on a 21k GVWR vehicle. Yes, 3k will always be on the pin, but I still like the extra #...
I'm probably just thick, but I didn't follow that. Would you mind clarifying? Would a 3050 pound capacity per tire leave you short or close?

If your 5er weighs 21k (biggun!) doesn't that mean the manufacturer would have to provide the proper number and capacity axles to handle it? If they're 7k axles and you've got 3 of them, is that where the GVWR comes from? Does it actually weigh that? If it does, man, they're putting you in a bad place.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:20 AM
System
Prolocutor
Roy, my loaded pin should be about 3-3100. This is what it was on my last one and that one had the same unloaded pin weight as this one. So, I'm assuming they will be the same loaded as well.

Randy, yes, they don't back the Marathon line. They do however back the G614's and while I appreciate that you are upset that they didn't back your tires, it's apples and oranges on the 614's I'm after which they always back.

Firekite: The trailers GVWR is 21k. The trailer has three 7k axles. Ribs are rated at 3040 each so, two per axle only nets 6080 worth of rating on a 7k axle which I don't like. Right now, without gear or toys in the garage, it weighs about 16k. No, it likely won't be at 21k when I load it up with the gear/toys I will bring. 21k is the GVWR which is the max it can legally and safely weigh. As to putting me in a bad place, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Manufacturers putting you in a bad place by providing capacity that can't possibly be reached without specialty tires. In this car it's more a question if they use axles rated for 7k each so they list call it 21k even though it should never actually get there.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Firekite
Manufacturers putting you in a bad place by providing capacity that can't possibly be reached without specialty tires. In this car it's more a question if they use axles rated for 7k each so they list call it 21k even though it should never actually get there.
No, both the LR E ST tires that came on the trailer as well as GY G614's are rated at 3750 each so they match the 7k axles perfectly with # to spare.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Glittle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Rodney!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Glittle
Looks good Rodney!

Thank you sir!!

Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Specularius
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the way RV's are designed, with 21K pounds of axle capacity, the GVWR could be 26,250 pounds.

As it is this toy hauler is designed to carry 5600 pounds per axle if equally divided.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Specularius
By the way RV's are designed, with 21K pounds of axle capacity, the GVWR could be 26,250 pounds.

As it is this toy hauler is designed to carry 5600 pounds per axle if equally divided.
Mine is 21k GVWR. Yes, you can subtract for pinweight and never exceed the 3040 of a Rib but I am going with what I know and had great luck with in the past...

A little extra capacity never hurt anyone. Some guys buy gasser engines too for hauling this kind of load. I went with a 6.7....

Old 04-02-2015, 09:25 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
I can't imagine pulling a load like that with a gasser...OMG that would just make my head 'spload

Quick Reply: Today is the day........