1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

manual tranny fit in E-250

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:17 PM
BigDan1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
manual tranny fit in E-250

I have a 1988 E-250 with 351 W ( 5.8L) & C6 3 speed auto tranny ...

would it be possible to install a 5 speed manual ?
my concern is mostly the shifter position
anyone ever did this conversion ?
thanks
Dan

Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes it is possible.

Is it a bolt in deal, not really.

I'm going to be swapping a NP435 grany low 4spd into my 89 E350.

The shifter location really depends on the transmission. What 5spd are you looking at? The ZF 5spd? Mazda? Tremec TKO?

These vans were available with the mazda 5spd in the late 80's E150's. The shifter actually came through the rear of the dog house. I believe the ZF would be very close if not the same on the shifter location.

Here's some pictures of a 5spd donor/parts van I had.

If you are considering a Tremec 5spd and wanted to use one of the rear shifter locations you would be closer to the 3 spd & 4 spd equipped vans. Except the shifter location would be more in the center of the floor instead of being offset to the driver side.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM
BigDan1
Mountain Pass
well you sure know about these mods ....

It should be an NV4500 or Getrag G360.......

Old 03-29-2015, 03:42 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BigDan1
well you sure know about these mods ....

It should be an NV4500 or Getrag G360.......
Sorry no help on either of those transmissions. If it came in 96 or older Ford I have some experience with it. Newer then that or a non Ford piece then I have no idea.

I think the NV4500 is the one that came in dodge trucks right? If it is I think it's pretty similar to my NP435 ( as far as the shifter location ) . If you have to run an adapter plate for the transmission it will move it back a little farther. If it is you'll have to do some modifications to the rear of your dog house. And depending on the size and height of the shift tower you might have to do some clearancing to the floor opening for the dog house. You can see the floor on the third picture I posted.

I will need to do the same thing with my NP435 swap. I am actually considering making a two piece dog house. I'm thinking about cutting my dog house off right in front of the shifter location. Then fabricate a larger taller piece to cover the shifter area.

The hardest part of the swap is really just locating a stock Econoline clutch and brake pedal assembly. If you want the hydraulic slave cylinder set up it's even harder. I believe the hydraulic slave set ups in the vans were only in the 84-89 or 90. I got the clutch pedal assembly with linkage and clutch master cylinder out of that 5spd van. Then I had to hunt down a bell housing and block plate out of a 84-91 SBF V8/300 inline 6 powered Ford truck with a 4spd.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM
BigDan1
Mountain Pass
I tought it would be easy to find ..... ( pedals setup )

Old 03-29-2015, 04:02 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BigDan1
I tought it would be easy to find ..... ( pedals setup )

Not really.

The manual transmission equipped 75-90 Econolines are fairly rare. Most of them were in the E100/E150 and most were the Fleet vans. I've only seen one E250 with a manual transmission.

I bought this crusty bucket just to get the swap parts. It was a plumbers van.

It takes some searching to find the parts. But it's well worth it! I hate automatics!!!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75

It takes some searching to find the parts. But it's well worth it! I hate automatics!!!
You must not drive in traffic . I like automatics in traffic.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:43 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by vettex2
You must not drive in traffic . I like automatics in traffic.
Yea I do. The grany low is great for stop and go traffic. Drop in first and let it crawl.

But I spend a lot more time hauling heavy loads then I do sitting in traffic. And I can't stand towing with an automatic.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Clem's Cousin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You probably have greater reliability with your 4 spd. automatic. It's rare to find any parts for this type of thing. Clutch linkage and other components can wear out.

I drive one of these vans with a 4spd. Clark overdrive manual. I'm fine with shifting, but I wish it had the auto instead just from a reliability stand point. My tranny needs a rebuild and it's been rebuilt once before because of the syncros. You're better off with what you have now.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Clem's Cousin
I wouldn't do it. You probably have greater reliability with your 4 spd. automatic. It's rare to find any parts for this type of thing. Clutch linkage and other components can wear out.

I drive one of these vans with a 4spd. Clark overdrive manual. I'm fine with shifting, but I wish it had the auto instead just from a reliability stand point. My tranny needs a rebuild and it's been rebuilt once before because of the syncros. You're better off with what you have now.
Well maybe you should swap in an auto and sell him your manual parts!

His auto is a C6, 3spd auto, not a 4spd auto. My 96 E250 has the E4OD 4 spd auto, nothing but a royal pain in the rear! Computer controlled, constantly having problems with the vehicle speed sensor which in turn causes the transmission to go into limp mode. Which means hard shifts and no OD. There's a lot more parts that can fail in an automatic then there is in a manual set up. Plus the transmission cooler in the radiator causes the engine to run hotter when hauling heavy loads or towing. Then top it off with the automatics take more engine power to operate then a manual transmission.

And his is a 88 so it wouldn't be a mechanical clutch linkage. It's all hydraulic. The only linkage is a rod that runs from the pedal arm down to the clutch master.

You can see the rod in the picture below. It's just above the red arrow, which is pointing to the clutch master cylinder.

Once you swap in the pedals there aren't really any parts that are rare that will need to be replaced. You can get the clutch master at just about any parts store. Same goes for whatever type of slave cylinder the transmission requires.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
anybody want to sell some manual pedals and linkage for a 75-91.......
I am thinking about buying a nice van just for the manual set up. want to put a 460 5spd into my 86 shorty. the inline six AOD is burnt.......

Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 PM
ennar
Freshman User
78 E250 automatic to manual conversion

I have done this conversion about 16 years ago on my 78 E250. Originally there was a 351W with a C6 automatic. I have replaced the tired 5.8 with a 1991 302 roller engine out of a Lincoln Towncar and installed a Tremec 4 speed SROD manual overdrive transmission. It is true that the location of the floor shifter is determined by where the floor shift is mounted on the transmission. In the case of the Tremec SROD 4 speed, the shifter is mounted on an aluminum turret on the left side (driver's side) transmission tail housing not real far back. This transmission came out of an 82 F150 with 300 engine. I had to heat the shifter to cherry red and reconfigure the bend to come from behind me instead of in front of the seat where it was originally in the F150. The brake and clutch pedal assembly came out of a 75 E150 and bolted in with no issues along with the rest of the manual/mechanical linkages. The bell housing came off of a 240 6 cylinder, and I purchased the flywheel new and used a 10" clutch and pressure plate. I also took out the 3:55 original rear end gearing and installed 3:73 Dana axle to match up with the original gearing of the Tremec 4 speed. This is one of the best things I ever did with my van, which I have now owned for 26 years. I can give you all details on the conversion.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
good to see a new member with a VERY COOL first post

now put a pic up of your van

Old 04-19-2015, 07:05 AM
BigDan1
Mountain Pass
Ennar ,

did you improve gas consumption ?
power wise was it similar ? ( newer tech + 3;73 ) or better ?

thanks man ,

Dan ,

Old 04-19-2015, 09:42 AM
ennar
Freshman User
hey BigDan,
I definitely improved MPG by a few miles, particularly on long highway trips in overdrive (4th gear), more power detected, and the best part is the total control of the engine, handling, and feel of a manual transmission that totally involves you in the driving of the vehicle in every way. I hated the C6 automatic and prepared for this conversion for a long time. I encourage you to continue to consider doing the same. You will be a happy Ford van owner if you do!! I would say that your only stumbling block would be finding the clutch and brake pedals and bracket and clutch linkages, but they're out there. The 75 to 91 Econolines were and still are popular and I still see them often at the wrecking yards. Getting everyday parts like brakes, alternator, power steering, calipers, engine parts, drive train parts, seals, master cylinder, gas tank sender, mufflers, bearings, etc. etc. is easy and cheap from the major auto retailers because all of this stuff is still readily available. After having my van for 26 years and fixing it myself, I can tell you that I have either turned or replaced every nut, bolt, wire, hose, part, unit, and assembly at least once if not a few times !! If you would like any in depth details about the conversion, I would be glad to fill you in.
I previously had a similiar Ford 4 speed RUG cast iron overdrive trans in a former van that had awful ratios, particularly between 2nd and 3rd, but this SROD aluminum 4 speed I have now is well spaced on the ratios. I am considering one of the 5 speed overdrives sometime down the line to get that extra gear.

Quick Reply: manual tranny fit in E-250