Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you just bought an Excursion and have the dumbest question ever? Ask it here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HilllBillly
Here are two random questions I thought about in my head.... but never really thought about asking

1) this winter we got a lot of snow so I tended to leave my hubs locked (clock to lock)... but now that its spring those suckers seem stuck in place and I cant get them unlocked (counter clockwise)..... any tips or suggestions ??

2) other than gas mileage - does it hurt anything letting them in the locked position going down the highway in 2 wheel drive for extended periods of time ??
I leave mine locked in for about 4 moths straight and I never had an issue. I don't notice a huge drop in mileage but I am sure it is there. If mine ever seem hard to unlock, I just grip it with a pair of pliers to help me get a little more leverage on it.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Custimguitarman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac

Clock to lock.
So mine says in manual that I can select Auto. Is this a half way between lock and not locked?

Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto is all the way anticlockwise. Its the same as free on a manual hub only it allows vacuum to engage the hub whn it works.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:03 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Ok, why have an auto and slick position? Why not just auto hubs with no lock setting, or is it a manual feature incase of a failure!

Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
Panty holder...it makes it easy for her to find them again when it is time to go.
Wait, your women wear panties? Talk about a waste of time, that alone saves me like 30 seconds

Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
It is a failsafe to lock them when your vac system fails. Rangers used a similar pulse hub design for a few years but didn't get the benefit of a manual override...a lot of them are modded to be manually engaged. On the f250's and up, auto hubs were an option and the manual hubs look the same with the exception of having "free" instead of "auto"

Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Custimguitarman
New User
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Auto is all the way anticlockwise. Its the same as free on a manual hub only it allows vacuum to engage the hub whn it works.
I dont recall any vacuum anything on my front axle. Is it possible that the owners manual is simply covering an option I do not have?
I sorta thought that it worked like a ratchet so to speak. When back wheels started slipping the drive unit would be all spinning faster than front wheels and the axles would engage the wheels. When all else was equal then there was no drive applied to front wheels.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Nope, its a traditional 4wd. No a ratcheting auto style. Auto on the hubs simply means that you shouldn't have to get out and lock the hubs when you turn the dial to 4wd. All excursions came with auto hubs. The vac line feeds into the back of the knuckle towards the top and relies on the seals in the knuckle and hub, and the reason they get changed to manual hubs a lot.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
Why did they use velcro on the back of the second row seats to hold the flaps? I have to use bungee cords to hold them up.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Why did they use velcro on the back of the second row seats to hold the flaps? I have to use bungee cords to hold them up.

great question!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Custimguitarman
New User
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I drilled two holes an inch apart and used a zip tie to do the job permanently

Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 PM
rowingdude
Freshman User
Here are my pre-purchase questions:

1. Does crap build up in the coolant resevoir? The truck in question is a 2000 5.4 Ex, runs fine, pulls fine, but there's goop in the coolant can, didn't hear anything that sounded like a blown head though..

2. The little console thing on the ceiling, is there a good way to figure out why it doesn't work, or is there something more productive I can swap in there.

3. When I turned the steering wheel, the truck made a noise, like a moan .. could the steering box be going?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Custimguitarman
New User
Originally Posted by rowingdude
Here are my pre-purchase questions:

1. Does crap build up in the coolant resevoir? The truck in question is a 2000 5.4 Ex, runs fine, pulls fine, but there's goop in the coolant can, didn't hear anything that sounded like a blown head though..

2. The little console thing on the ceiling, is there a good way to figure out why it doesn't work, or is there something more productive I can swap in there.

3. When I turned the steering wheel, the truck made a noise, like a moan .. could the steering box be going?

Thanks
Concerning the console:
If you push real hard on the buttons will it come on momentarily?
This was a common problem on explorers and I cannot see Ford doing anything radically different on the Ex.
If you take it apart ( easy ) you will find a surface mounted resistor on circuit board that has broken free of it's solder joint.
Very easy fix.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 PM
HilllBillly
Freshman User
I have stock rims now & slightly larger than stock tires, stock suspension, no lift....

Ideally I would like 20" rims & 35" tires..... possible to do that without adding a lift since I live near the city and do have to park in parking garages at times....

Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by HilllBillly
I have stock rims now & slightly larger than stock tires, stock suspension, no lift....

Ideally I would like 20" rims & 35" tires..... possible to do that without adding a lift since I live near the city and do have to park in parking garages at times....
Only if you want to lose a lot of turning radius (larger radius) and cut a lot of inner fender out and move the bumper forward.

Quick Reply: So you just bought an Excursion and have the dumbest question ever? Ask it here!