6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 developed a knock. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunter40

I took an oil sample right before I took the truck in. Thought you all might want to see the results. It definitely shows something went south in this engine.

Hunter40

That is a lot for a single sample. Did your method change taking the sample, maybe you took the sample to quick after you puled the plug?

I would recommend pulling the oil filter and opening it up. Take the filter and make a cut down one side. then carefully pull the filter apart should look like a bunch of folds. The round bottom and top will tare off. Hold it in the filter media and stretch it out in sunlight and see how much metal is in the filter media.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:56 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
That is a lot for a single sample. Did your method change taking the sample, maybe you took the sample to quick after you puled the plug?

I would recommend pulling the oil filter and opening it up. Take the filter and make a cut down one side. then carefully pull the filter apart should look like a bunch of folds. The round bottom and top will tare off. Hold it in the filter media and stretch it out in sunlight and see how much metal is in the filter media.
Same sampling method as always. I always do check the oil filter and rarely do I see anything but black oil. I will check it afain when I get the truck back though.
Hunter40

Old 04-11-2015, 01:28 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Same sampling method as always. I always do check the oil filter and rarely do I see anything but black oil. I will check it afain when I get the truck back though.
Hunter40
This is an example of what i am talking about, let it dry a little and look at it in the sun.

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Need opinions

The work was completed on the truck today. The tech wants to test drive it again in the morning before he releases it. I did listen to it run and it sounds great and is much quieter than I remembered it being. I had a chance to talk to the tech and pick his brain a little.

He told me that although the compression readings will be a little higher now that the valve rockers have been replaced they were low enough, at 240 and 250 on cylinders 2 and 8, that he doesn't think the engine will last much longer. He said they like to see at least 300 and didn't believe the valve rockers would bring the compressions up to that point. However, he didn't compression test it after the new rockers were installed.
He also said there was a slight bit of metal in the fuel system indicating he thought the fuel system was not going to make it much longer either. He recommended trading it in before I was stuck with an $18,000 bill for a complete engine.
I was hoping this truck would last until the 2017s were out and my financial situation was a little better, but that may not happen.
In your opinion should I:
-trade truck in right away on a newer used model?
-hope the truck makes it until the middle of 2016 and trade it on a 2017?
-keep the truck another 5,000 and send in another oil sample to see how the engine is holding up?
-something else?
Thanks,
Hunter40

Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well now things might fall together;

If you have metal in fuel system, it's possible that injectors are pooched, and spraying bad and leaking.
Likely the bad spray patterns cause the oil to wash away from the top of the cylinders, and cause excessive wear.

Then again, your oil sample didn't have much fuel in it.....
Either way, with a contaminated fuel system, I'd be doing more thinking and reading than driving.
No driving, to be precise.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Pull the top fuel filter and check the fuel bowl That is what I would do.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Pull the top fuel filter and check the fuel bowl That is what I would do.
Fuel bowl checked frequently and I have never found any metal in there. When I get it back tomorrow I will check again and change the oil, checking the oil filters as well.
Hunter40

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Also what kind of fuel pressure reading to you get?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Also what kind of fuel pressure reading to you get?
I do not have anyway to test that. I will check the paperwork tomorrow and ask but they did tell me it passed all the fuel tests. However there were a few small flakes found which they said MAY have played a part in my failed #2 injector.

Hunter40

Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I've seen enough tales of woe from buyers of used trucks stuck with $15K repair bills. Trading a truck by concealing a known engine problem is understandable given the financial realities of the situation. But if you do that kind of thing and get to sleep at night it says something about your character.

That wouldn't be an option for me, and I would hope anyone I would call a friend would feel the same way. You're in a rough position, but concealing it to pass onto someone else seems wrong to me.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
I've seen enough tales of woe from buyers of used trucks stuck with $15K repair bills. Trading a truck by concealing a known engine problem is understandable given the financial realities of the situation. But if you do that kind of thing and get to sleep at night it says something about your character.

That wouldn't be an option for me, and I would hope anyone I would call a friend would feel the same way. You're in a rough position, but concealing it to pass onto someone else seems wrong to me.
I understand what you are saying and realize your concern, however, I am definitely not trying to conceal anything here. Heck I have posted everything I know about the truck right here. As I said, according to Ford Service the truck is fixed. According to the tech and service manager, they would be concerned about keeping it. I'm asking what others would do and whether or not they would keep it, etc. if I did trade it in it would be at the dealer doing the work and they would know exactly what the situation was. Probably won't get much for it and they'd probably sell it to a company here that deals in troubled trucks. (This was one of the options they gave me if I didn't have the money to do the rocker repair.) So please don't question my character or make assumptions on how I would conceal a known (possible) condition.

My biggest issue is that I really do not want to get rid of the truck. It has been mostly flawless and I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. It is the last model to get a stick shift option, which some of you may think I'm crazy for having, but I really like it. If I could order another manual now I would.
I am having difficulty believing that an engine running as well as this one always has might be on the verge of coming apart. The engine has always been smooth, powerful, and easy to start.
A lot of what I am trying to determine is if this engine is really getting ready to let go or did the tech and service manager just recommend trading it in so the dealership can make more money?

Thanks, Hunter40

Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I understand what you are saying and realize your concern, however, I am definitely not trying to conceal anything here. Heck I have posted everything I know about the truck right here. As I said, according to Ford Service the truck is fixed. According to the tech and service manager, they would be concerned about keeping it. I'm asking what others would do and whether or not they would keep it, etc. if I did trade it in it would be at the dealer doing the work and they would know exactly what the situation was. Probably won't get much for it and they'd probably sell it to a company here that deals in troubled trucks. (This was one of the options they gave me if I didn't have the money to do the rocker repair.) So please don't question my character or make assumptions on how I would conceal a known (possible) condition.
Not questioning anything, simply offering my opinion on what lots of people would do in your situation. Which I understand given the large dollars at stake, but isn't really the right answer IMHO.

A lot of what I am trying to determine is if this engine is really getting ready to let go or did the tech and service manager just recommend trading it in so the dealership can make more money?
Sales and service departments are typically handled as completely separate departments in most cases. I don't think a tech would offer bad advice in order to do the sales folks a favor.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:32 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
How does he know there is metal in the fuel system?

If he's seeing metal in a pan after draining out lines, maybe it's from the threads on fittings, not from the inside of the lines.
As above, I think check fuel filter really soon and see whats in there.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:30 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

[QUOTE=Hunter40;15273396].

He told me that although the compression readings will be a little higher now that the valve rockers have been replaced they were low enough, at 240 and 250 on cylinders 2 and 8, that he doesn't think the engine will last much longer. He said they like to see at least 300 a/QUOTE]

This bothers me, 340-375 would indicate a healthy engine. I haven't looked at the spec in awhile but i believe its 350. If i also remember correctly but don't quote me on this ford states the cylinders cannot be more then 75% difference between your highest and lowest cylinders. It seems another check would be warrant to see if the concern was still relevant .

The fact that they found metal in the fuel filter housing is the biggest thing i would be worried about, but one thing is for sure even if they cleaned it up the metal will return if there is an issue, and this is easy for you to inspect at any time. You can also pull the filter and inspect it similar to how i explained the oil filter above. there should be any notable metal you can see in the filter media. In addition you can also take a fuel sample and send it to a lab

I hate to be condescending but it makes me wonder if they really found the metal or if it was a ploy to push you towards a new truck, this can be even more relevant if you openly suggested if it was worth repairing or trading the truck. Now they can low ball the trade and up sell the truck.......its sad one even has to consider this but i have simply lost faith in dealerships, personal experience has shown me there are more bad ones then good ones anymore. To add insult to injury they seem to hire more and more helpers and have less skilled techs. One dealer i know has 4 to 6 helpers to a single tech......how can the tech do his job spread that thin.... i personally don't see it while its not the techs fault how the dealership is ran it just undermines my confidence of the dealerships ability to turn quality repairs maybe I'm wrong but it just does not make since.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Just thinking in hindsight here, if he didn't compression check after the job, who is he to tell you your truck might not last much longer? I agree with sanddemon.

Quick Reply: 6.4 developed a knock. Thoughts?