New RV to me

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:59 AM
Captain 'Murica
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockertom
Staying at Pecan RV Park in Jacksonville for the weekend. If you like big spacious pull Thru concrete spots. This park is it. Took me about 3 hours from Orlando at about 60mph. Fairly windy most of the way up. The little 5.4 did very good. Got 8mpg on the tank for pulling up here. Pretty happy with that. I am very confident with this set up now. I think Myrtle Beech is on order later this summer.

If you head to Myrtle Beach you should give Lakewood RV Resort a shot. Beachfront lots use to go for about &70/night, but the park is amazing. Water park, pools, putt putt, canoeing and its all included with your nightly rate. When you check in they give you a wrist band that gets you access to all of the amenities. When I was stationed back on the East Coast I would take my family there for a week or so every summer. My kids still ask about going back there.

BTW...good looking truck/camper combo and it looks like you are putting it to good use.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:07 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
If you decide to head to Myrtle make sure you get reservations. The days of just showing up, unless it is after Labor Day, have been gone for a while unless you are willing to move from spot to spot every day or so.

Steve

Old 06-16-2015, 11:59 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If you decide to head to Myrtle make sure you get reservations. The days of just showing up, unless it is after Labor Day, have been gone for a while unless you are willing to move from spot to spot every day or so.

Steve
Steve is absolutely right about Myrtle Beach area. I just wanted to add that the Carolina coast and mountains are all getting to be tough to find spots when the kids are out of school. Get reservations well in advance.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:59 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the tips on Myrtle Beech. As of right now. We are not sure if it will happen. My daughter's AAU Basketball team has been doing a fair amount of in state travel this year. I must say since this is our off season here in Florida. All of the campgrounds have not had a problem with a late check out on Sunday's. Due to them playing usually late in the afternoon. I am really liking the price difference of the campgrounds versus the hotels and eating out. This is more than enough to make my payments and storage. Plus I enjoy staying in the TT. Good times all around.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:10 AM
Captain 'Murica
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
Steve is absolutely right about Myrtle Beach area. I just wanted to add that the Carolina coast and mountains are all getting to be tough to find spots when the kids are out of school. Get reservations well in advance.

This is absolutely a true statement. We would usually take our trip to MB over the week of 4th of July because we liked walking out to the beach and watching fireworks going off as far as you can see up and down the beach. However, one year I waited until May to try and make reservations and ended up on a postage stamp of a spot (only one they had left) at the worst campground in MB. From that point on I made all of my reservations in February or March.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Well Myrle Beech didn't happen. I'm ok with that. Anyways, had my first issue with the trailer. Last time out the gas was working for the fridge. Wouldn't ignite. So finally got around to looking at it over the weekend. Turns out the igniter hold screw came a bit loose. It was laying on the burner causing it to ground out. Readjusted and presto, back in business. Working like it should now. Just in time for a weekend get away to Ft Wilderness this weekend. Lucky for me only a 30 minute pull to get there. HAHA. I'll post pics after I am set up Friday afternoon.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 AM
rockertom
Senior User

Ft Wilderness is it for the weekend. Staying in 517. Sweet deep spot. Since I asked for it. Felt a little tight when backing in. No troubles for me. But I could see where it can be. Rented a cart to help get around. Having a good time.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Worse spot I had to get into last year was the Fort Wildness. Seems like there were trash cans and signs making the back in almost impossible. Finally had to run the truck right up into the shrubs. Easy to see why it looked like folks had been bouncing their trucks and trailers off everything around the site.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
With the exception of my driveway that has a dogleg and a 3-4% grade off of a 12 foot wide cul-de-sac street, we are probably currently sitting in the worst to get in site I've encountered in many years. It's terraced, has a couple very large evergreens and a drop off on the other side of the road and a motor home parked pretty close to the rear end swing. Decent fairly small CG otherwise compared to several we drove by near Custer, South Dakota which had RV's like cord wood lined up in a stack.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Worse spot I had to get into last year was the Fort Wildness. Seems like there were trash cans and signs making the back in almost impossible. Finally had to run the truck right up into the shrubs. Easy to see why it looked like folks had been bouncing their trucks and trailers off everything around the site.
Makes me glad I measured the overall length of the outfit after I got it. Since I am 56ft long. They wanted to put me in a 57' spot. Asked if they had anything bigger. They looked and said how does 70' sound. Perfect, give me more room to work and park the truck away from the road a bit. Sure helped. Yes the road ways are narrow here. Then with other campers cramped for space makes the turn a bit challenging. But I used the bigger opening to help. Then the extra depth to help get straightened out and put it where I wanted.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rockertom
Makes me glad I measured the overall length of the outfit after I got it. Since I am 56ft long. They wanted to put me in a 57' spot. Asked if they had anything bigger. They looked and said how does 70' sound. Perfect, give me more room to work and park the truck away from the road a bit. Sure helped. Yes the road ways are narrow here. Then with other campers cramped for space makes the turn a bit challenging. But I used the bigger opening to help. Then the extra depth to help get straightened out and put it where I wanted.

Nice looking rig and happy for you that you are getting out and using it, we are a little below our average nights out this year due to some scheduling conflicts.
I feel your pain, we are 61' overall length ('05 EX and '14 Jayco Eagle 338RETS), makes getting into some back-in sites a real challenge.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Maybe we should be keeping a list of campgrounds to avoid.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:45 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe we should be keeping a list of campgrounds to avoid.
Maybe add certain spots from campgrounds

Old 08-23-2015, 01:13 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Well, we packed up and headed home. Had a good time over the weekend. Drove the crap out of the golf cart we rented. Drove all over the campground many times. Fairly empty during this time of year. One thing I did notice is the deeper spots had a extra pad for backing in and pulling out. If you look at the right of my truck as I stopped in my loop to take an exit pic. You will see what I mean. I had this on mine and I used it to help get backed in. As there were trucks parked close to the roadway which made it a tad bit more difficult to maneuver along with the other obsticles that were present. All in all. A good weekend. I will go back again. I did like the 500 loop as it was close to the dog park and the other main stuff along with the boat ride to the MK.

Quick Reply: New RV to me