1987 Diesel Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 Diesel Ranger

No questions, just information!

I have a 1987 turbo diesel ranger and have had trouble finding any information on these. Realizing they are nearly completely gone, figured I would post information on it that I have in case it helps anyone.

85-87 Ford offered a Mitsubishi 4D55 turbocharged Diesel backed by a 5 speed FM transmission and if 4x4 a BW1350 transfer case. The motor is an interference design using an aluminum head, SOHC, fed by one of two different turbos depending on year. The factory spec was about 13psi boost, with the later turbo being wastegated. They used a Bosch designed pump which is a VE41, same as early Cummins so any Bosch rebuilder can rebuild.

The motor used indirect injection, so it has precombustion chambers that also contained glow plugs. Glow plugs were a super quick start design that even at 10F require less than 3 seconds of glow to fire up unplugged.

Performance wise, it is not very fast but I have driven some 6-7% grades in the Rockies and it can (barely) maintain 65mph with a full size dirt bike in the back and gear. I have turned up the fuel screw and now it can almost break the tires loose, but only gets about 25mpg (2wd). My stock 4x4 Ranger Diesel gets 38mpg.

As far as parts, they DO still exist. I have replaced the alternator (unique to diesel), glow plugs, injector nozzles, water pump, oil filter and fuel filters. I am planning on changing the timing belts as well.

As a side note, these motors were offered in the Mitsubishi Mighty Max and Dodge D50, BUT the following parts do not interchange directly but can be modified and used. Any accessories (Ford used serpentine, Mits and D50 which were badge engineered twins used v belt), blocks used different mounts, Ford has seperate bellhousing and hydraulic clutch, Ford used different injection pump that changed idle timing and engine speed fed by coolant whereas Mits had cable, head casting was different. Beyond that though, internals are the same. My 87 has custom mounts and a D50/mits block, and my 4x4 is factory original.

Hope this helps someone!

Old 03-22-2015, 12:55 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought only 2wd trucks had the diesel option and 4x4 was gas only unless you converted to 4x4? One thing is for sure they should have kept this option running through the final 2011 year. Modern day mini diesel in this truck would get awesome performance and mpg. There is a 4D56T engine that was never offered but some buy these and drop them in. The 4D55 is a 2.3L while the 4D56 is a 2.5L.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:46 PM
holmzie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have been watching for years to try and find one with the 2.3L and 4x4. I have a chance at a 2wd one now. I was wondering if anyone knew if the transmissions and transfer case were the same in the gas models. This way i could buy a junk gas 4x4 and do a conversion. Or if anyone has a nice 2.3L 4x4 for sale

Originally Posted by Dirtscooter250
No questions, just information!

I have a 1987 turbo diesel ranger and have had trouble finding any information on these. Realizing they are nearly completely gone, figured I would post information on it that I have in case it helps anyone.

85-87 Ford offered a Mitsubishi 4D55 turbocharged Diesel backed by a 5 speed FM transmission and if 4x4 a BW1350 transfer case. The motor is an interference design using an aluminum head, SOHC, fed by one of two different turbos depending on year. The factory spec was about 13psi boost, with the later turbo being wastegated. They used a Bosch designed pump which is a VE41, same as early Cummins so any Bosch rebuilder can rebuild.

The motor used indirect injection, so it has precombustion chambers that also contained glow plugs. Glow plugs were a super quick start design that even at 10F require less than 3 seconds of glow to fire up unplugged.

Performance wise, it is not very fast but I have driven some 6-7% grades in the Rockies and it can (barely) maintain 65mph with a full size dirt bike in the back and gear. I have turned up the fuel screw and now it can almost break the tires loose, but only gets about 25mpg (2wd). My stock 4x4 Ranger Diesel gets 38mpg.

As far as parts, they DO still exist. I have replaced the alternator (unique to diesel), glow plugs, injector nozzles, water pump, oil filter and fuel filters. I am planning on changing the timing belts as well.

As a side note, these motors were offered in the Mitsubishi Mighty Max and Dodge D50, BUT the following parts do not interchange directly but can be modified and used. Any accessories (Ford used serpentine, Mits and D50 which were badge engineered twins used v belt), blocks used different mounts, Ford has seperate bellhousing and hydraulic clutch, Ford used different injection pump that changed idle timing and engine speed fed by coolant whereas Mits had cable, head casting was different. Beyond that though, internals are the same. My 87 has custom mounts and a D50/mits block, and my 4x4 is factory original.

Hope this helps someone!