Sponsored by: Moser

Complete Sheetmetal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Complete Sheetmetal?

I have a friend, who has a friend, who is looking for a complete set of sheetmetal, meaning fenders, cab, bed, etc. Where he lives, in the NE, even the new vehicles rust, and all of the older stuff is swiss cheese. And, since he wants to restore his truck.....

Do any of you know where, or someone, who has a good set w/little if any rust?

I'm thinking he'll have to buy a complete truck, but maybe I'm missing something.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would agree with you ... I mean, NPD, et al. sell reproduction sheet metal panels for a lot of the truck, but it sounds like he wants a whole other truck. If he can't find it where he is, maybe he should consider picking up a rust-free truck from out West?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM
scottness2
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gary,

Answer: Unicorns, Big Foot and a "rust free" 73-79 Ford Truck.

Question: Name three things that most people really want to believe actually exist?

I have searched long and far for "rust free" parts. I have yet to find them all in one place, let alone on a single truck.

I would recommend searching on Craigslist using other cities / areas. Look for complete trucks with engine / transmission issues (or similar). I've bought an entire truck for $350; took off the parts I needed and scrapped the entire truck for $200. That works out to $150 for a replacement bed, rad core support and DS door. Not too bad for original Ford parts (IMO).

Good luck in the search.

Scott

Old 03-18-2015, 01:54 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by scottness2
Gary,

Answer: Unicorns, Big Foot and a "rust free" 73-79 Ford Truck.

Question: Name three things that most people really want to believe actually exist?

I have searched long and far for "rust free" parts. I have yet to find them all in one place, let alone on a single truck.

I would recommend searching on Craigslist using other cities / areas. Look for complete trucks with engine / transmission issues (or similar). I've bought an entire truck for $350; took off the parts I needed and scrapped the entire truck for $200. That works out to $150 for a replacement bed, rad core support and DS door. Not too bad for original Ford parts (IMO).

Good luck in the search.

Scott
My '73 is about as rust free as I've ever seen. ...and it's for sale, BTW. But not cheap. What little rust it had, has been cut out and new metal welded in. Keep your eyes open. There are still good trucks out there, just much fewer and farther in between than they used to be.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
76F15OSuper
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way to get Rust Free Parts

73-79 Ford Truck

Have thought about making a truck like this if I ever had the monies ...

Light and never will rust.

1 piece front end, Cab shell, Doors, and Bed all for the low low price of 15k

From the best I can tell the hole "sheet metal" part of the truck will be well under 400 lb

Crown Vic swap and a P-71 power plant.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:35 PM
scottness2
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! I work in Riverview and I have never heard of these guys. I guess I "google" ford and sheet metal too much. I don't want a fiberglass truck myself but this stuff looks so cool I am going to take a field trip.

This is awesome.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 PM
76F15OSuper
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scottness2
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! I work in Riverview and I have never heard of these guys. I guess I "google" ford and sheet metal too much. I don't want a fiberglass truck myself but this stuff looks so cool I am going to take a field trip.

This is awesome.
If you make a trip let us know how it goes .. I had a buddy that got a front clip from them for his C-10 but that was a wile ago and never got a real good look at it.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:51 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
northeast,,,,,,,,carver speed in Mass is a very good contact for nos parts ,give him a hollar,,,,he is found in parts for sale+,hope that helps

Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ok guys, thanks. I'll pass the info on. But, I think the best bet is to find a truck here in Okiehoma that doesn't run and take it up there. Maybe one with a broken frame, blown engine, etc.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:16 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I am in Arizona as I write. It seems to me they are all over the place. You might check some auto wreckers.
Eric

Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with those that say buy a clean truck and ship it up there. Shipping scares off a lot of people, but it really isn't that much in the scheme of things.

Ford f100 1973

David

Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM
DirtyLarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Ok guys, thanks. I'll pass the info on. But, I think the best bet is to find a truck here in Okiehoma that doesn't run and take it up there. Maybe one with a broken frame, blown engine, etc.
I know of 4 dents in hectorville, 2 in Sapulpa, 2 in keifer, 3 in kellyville. All kinda rusty. My crew is the most rust free I've ever laid eyes on. And I'm not great.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ok guys, time for a follow-up. I fed the info y'all provided back through my friend to his BiL, who then quit looking for sheetmetal and started looking for complete trucks. And, he just hit pay dirt - a gentleman moved from New Mexico into his area with a running truck that is rust-free. The BiL bought it for $1800 and is ecstatic! So, you helped significantly - thanks!

Having said that, I have one more question. My friend said his BiL is going to swap bodies since his is a 4wd and the new one is a 2wd. But I told him that on the 80-86's swapping from a 2wd to a 4wd is a simple unbolt/bolt arrangement if both trucks are the same series (F100, F250, etc) and the same wheelbase. So, is that true of the Dents?

And, thanks again for all the input.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
cab swap

yes you are right.This here 2 wheel drive cab ,being mounted on a 4x4

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, I didn't communicate well. What I meant was that it is easier to swap running gear than it is bodies. In the 80 - 86's the running gear is a direct bolt-on between 4x2 and 4x4. And, while the bodies can be swapped that can sometimes be more trouble due to rusted mounts and hardware, differences in electrical systems, etc.

Quick Reply: Complete Sheetmetal?