Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TGM Reloaded!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:45 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can say the price was over the top. Almost $5k total. But it was worth it for professional work. Just gears will be a lot less for sure.

As for RPMs I have no clue. I don't have a tach. I also haven't ran it over 40 mph yet. I've got a weird vibration that I had hoped would be fixed with the axles but it didn't. I plan to pull my rear drive line and see if it still happens in 4wd. However, my speedometer is now accurate up to 35mph so far as I've seen(the 40mph was a guess).

Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Another update! A small one of course. So the big news is, I chipped in a bit of money and got a Marti Report ordered. Its a copy of the original build sheet with extra info like, how many were produced like mine, and paint codes, options... plus I paid extra for a metal Data tag(door tag) and a certification tag. I've wanted one for some time but forgot about it and where to get it. I was recently reminded via a Facebook Bronco group I am an admin of. I am pretty excited for that to show up. I'll post up details when I get them.

Next, I am making plans on a motor rebuild. I'm going to keep my 351m and try to bump it up to a 400. I'm looking at having a shop rebuild it, I tried finding parts but I'm really not sure what I'm looking for. However, I probably could do it myself.
While the motor is out, if like to jump in the bay and start cleaning it up. Get some stuff replaced, relocate wiring maybe. Paint it black and make it pretty. I need hood hinges pretty bad so I might pull the hood and do that too, then I need a latch to fix the grille. Anyways, that's the plan so far. I was going to finance a 2015 F150 but the bank said no, so I'll pull a small loan and use that to pay for the rebuild. That will add a bit to my credit history.

Next, this applies to those of you with a Bench Seat. I finally found a center console! I was using this.

And when is put a drink in it, it would fall over. It was modified to fit my 88 ranger years ago. So I set out to find an arm rest, console. This happens to be perfect!

It works really well so far and provides the arm rest I wanted with the portability so I can fold my seat still. Worth every penny.

On top of all that (I lied about the small update ), my friend finished up some of the professional photos she took of TGM in summer. I won't post any just yet since she hasn't added her personal watermarks yet. But I like the photos

Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Updates!
So after waiting a week to get my truck back, enjoying my new 4.11s, and having fun, I went ahead and broke it. My pinion yoke is trashed now.

The story goes, we had a willow tree in our side yard, my mom wanted it gone before it got too tall. After chopping it down, she asked if I would pull the stump. Of course, I said yes. Turns out the stump had bigger roots and was stronger than we thought. Ripped up my new yoke and possibly damaged my drive shaft.

So, now I have to order a new yoke, get the shaft checked, new u joints, and put it all back together. The bright side, I was having a vibration issue before while driving around 30-40mph. I have a suspicion the u joints were the cause.

During all of this, I have been talking with a friend about rebuilding my 351m into a stroked 400. I'm not 100% set on stroking, but I do want it bumped up to a 400. He said for about 4 grand I can have a real nice stroker built with aluminum heads and some nice internals. However, with the recent screw up, that's been put on hold.

On top of all this, I got myself a "portable garage" from Harbor Freight. It had it for a while but finally got it built yesterday. It was a huge pain and it isn't exactly the best thing ever.

Its got a little more room than I though so it should make a viable work space. The original plan was to put sand down to level it, then thick plywood so I can roll a creeper around under it. I'm not sure if the rain will cause that to be a problem. But for now, my F150 sort of fits.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I also got all my photos back of the Bronco.
All credit goes to Carla Louise Thompson.

*EDIT* I can't seem to get them to upload properly. For now here is the link for the folder. Hopefully that works.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xsqyht6jxiy67cq/AAD2W8h4lTMA_yn1-BLuFrbaa?dl=0

Old 10-29-2015, 12:24 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm surprised brand new parts like that would break doing that!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I'm surprised brand new parts like that would break doing that!
From my quick observation, the metal looks pretty soft. The steel u joint straps just kind of tore through the metal yoke. Its a strange break for sure.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:12 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
From my quick observation, the metal looks pretty soft. The steel u joint straps just kind of tore through the metal yoke. Its a strange break for sure.
What brand was the yoke? definitely not OEM quality, that's for sure.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:28 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow Dylan you really know how to have fun with TGM! It sucks that you tore it up that bad but at least you were at home and not 200 miles away in the middle of an off roading or camping trip. Now you know what to change to continue the bullet proofing of TGM's drivetrain. Good Luck.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
What brand was the yoke? definitely not OEM quality, that's for sure.
I'm not sure. If I had to guess I'd say Yukon. That's the brand of my axle shafts and gears. But I have to check the paperwork and see if it tells me. If it does that would make it easier to find a better one.

I am very glad it broke at home. Anywhere else and I would have been in trouble I think.
As far as bulletproofing, I did find a titanium racing yoke for NASCAR racing. But at $700+ I won't be getting one. Hardened steel should be fine. This one looked like some alloy or softer steel.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:52 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I'm not sure. If I had to guess I'd say Yukon. That's the brand of my axle shafts and gears. But I have to check the paperwork and see if it tells me. If it does that would make it easier to find a better one.

I am very glad it broke at home. Anywhere else and I would have been in trouble I think.
As far as bulletproofing, I did find a titanium racing yoke for NASCAR racing. But at $700+ I won't be getting one. Hardened steel should be fine. This one looked like some alloy or softer steel.
I would call the shop you had do the work and tell them about the failure.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I don't know that it would do any good, I wasn't being very nice when trying to rip the stump out. However, when its fixed I may let them know. It depends on what yoke they used. If its supposed to be a nice one then I was doing something very wrong. If its just crappy pot metal, that's poor parts ordering.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Thunderhorn
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Love TGM, glad to see the old passion rekindled.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Thunderhorn
Love TGM, glad to see the old passion rekindled.
Thanks . I am trying to drive it while sort of restoring it. Its not easy though.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Thunderhorn
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks . I am trying to drive it while sort of restoring it. Its not easy though.
Oh I know it, sometimes you feel like giving up. But that's what these forums are for! you are one of the guys that has inspired me to keep up the work. I've also followed Dave and his build for years, its almost sad to see it so done now. I am exited to see what you do with with TGM in the future!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dylan, where are all the updates to inspire me to keep plugging away on my Bronco in little steps while I recover from my surgeries?
Just had to bump TGM back to page one for all the new guys.

Quick Reply: TGM Reloaded!