2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Gonzalez
We have a 2015 Ford Explore that just started with the smell 29,000 miles. It was fant at first but just yesterday as we were driving the AWD light came on and show AWD off then the smell got so bad that we had to stop and get air. I have a app. with the dealer...
Welcome to the forum, Adam! I wanted to touch base and see how things went at your dealership. I'll be happy to do what I can to help clear out that odor. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. Send the details to custserv@ford.com, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. This email address isn't monitored, so be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. Post here once you've sent it; that's how I'll know to go and look for your message.

Crystal

Old 11-27-2015, 11:30 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think alot of people don't realize your local Ford or Lincoln dealer is independently owned, many times a local resident. Crystal is your "direct to Ford" avenue. I appreciate it.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by oneowner83
I think alot of people don't realize your local Ford or Lincoln dealer is independently owned, many times a local resident. Crystal is your "direct to Ford" avenue. I appreciate it.
Thanks, oneowner83! It's my pleasure to be here as a resource for you guys.

Crystal

Old 12-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Adam Gonzalez
New User
Update of Explorer smell

Originally Posted by Adam Gonzalez
We have a 2015 Ford Explore that just started with the smell 29,000 miles. It was faint at first but just yesterday as we were driving the AWD light came on and show AWD off then the smell got so bad that we had to stop and get air. I have a app. with the dealer here in San Antonio Tx. but when I explained it to them they have no idea what I was talking about. I will let you know if any comes of there inspection.
An update from Ford after we dropped our Explorer off it was returned back to us after oil change and they could not find out what the smell was coming from other then maybe we must of ran over something. The smell was still in the vehicle and some HVAC clean was placed in the system it cleared out only to return 10 mins later down the road I called the Service Dep. back told them it had return and dropped it off the vehicle back off 2 days later. After a day and a half later Ford hot line responded back to Service Dep. and said that it is the Power Take off which is located on the side of the transmission. The part is on back order and we will wait to see after it is replaced if the smell if gone. I will let you know as soon as its completed.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:51 PM
v1uhoh
Freshman User
This is a very common problem from what Ive searched and read about. We have it on our 2013 V6 2wd. The fact that they cant fix this problem in this day and age is beyond me.

as for your ^^^ PTO. i would almost say that is a laughable cause. Be careful you aren't being taken to the cleaners on repair bills.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:56 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
Hard acceleration leads to unburned fuel. Maybe the cats aren't happy. Either way, exhaust fumes don't belong in the cabin. Does someone make a carbon monoxide tester that is mobile?

Old 01-02-2016, 04:07 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by oneowner83
Hard acceleration leads to unburned fuel. Maybe the cats aren't happy. Either way, exhaust fumes don't belong in the cabin. Does someone make a carbon monoxide tester that is mobile?
battery operated ones are cheap look on amzon .com

Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Our smell never has gone away. Everytime I have to accelerate such as merging onto the Interstate...here comes the smell. I'm 100% convinced its exhaust fumes entering the car; I just don't know how the fumes are entering the car...windows up, windows down...HVAC on, HVAC off...it does not matter. This issue alone has really ruined our opinion of an otherwise very classy looking, comfortable & fun vehicle to cruise around in.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
I bet you'll find that if you turn the A/C or Heat on high, recirculate OFF and all windows closed you won't smell it. Its being sucked into the cabin exhaust flap. Apparently not enough to harm you but enough to be stinky! Even IF you can get your dealer to half disassemble the rear of your vehicle to apply the TSB fix it may not fix the problem. As me how I know.
That was the first Ford attempt at a fix...I watched the entire procedure. Supposedly, the newer flaps are heavier...but alas, we still have the exhaust fumes just as before.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Dmcabee76
New User
New Platinum. Same problem

Originally Posted by USAF CCM
For all AWD owners, be aware of a problem we've recently experienced. I use the gas pedal quite often if you know what I mean. My wife began to notice an odor in the cabin, immediately after I passed challenged drivers. This would occur with or without the HVAC on. It's been getting much stronger lately...so I decided to drop into my local Ford dealer's service dept and asked about this.

He knew exactly what I was talking about and said there's an issue with how the AWD connects and that something is going out...there should be a TSB on this. I searched on here for anything regarding an odor after accelerating but came up empty. Anyone else noticing a rotten egg smell after a hard/quick hit on the go pedal?

We have a Blue 2013 Limited AWD Explorer with tow package.
We have a new Platinum. Less than 2,000 miles and are experiencing this problem. It is acute and very bad. At first I couldn't believe it is coming from my vehicle. Now that I see it is a known issue. I'll be contacting Ford tomorrow morning.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:55 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Hope you have better success fixing the problem. We still have no idea how the fumes get in the car. Even with ALL windows open, we still get a strong odor during hard acceleration.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:52 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Apparently Ford knows about this problem. The exhaust vents (rubber flappers) for the interior are located up inside the rear wheel-wells. I've been told that they have a heavier flap version that doesn't open so easily but it takes quite a bit of labor and disassembly of the rear bumper cover and wheel-well liner to get to them.
Opening the windows doesn't help. There is a low pressure area behind a moving vehicle that just sucks in the fumes. Remember in the good old days of tailgate windows that rolled down how the manual said not to drive with the window lowered? That was to prevent exhaust from being sucked inside.
The only difference I've found on my Sport is if I run the heat (or A/C) full blast and on outside air with all the windows closed. It apparently pressurizes the interior and prevents fumes from being sucked in.

Or you could just drive like a little old lady.....

Old 05-27-2016, 11:05 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
I watched the Ford Tech as he dropped the rear cowl/bumper cover and replaced the cabin exhaust flap. I've run this car with full blown A/C & heat, yet odor still comes in for a few seconds upon acceleration.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:53 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, any luck on the fix? Curious to see if it worked. I believe there is a class action law suit so we shall see if this becomes a full blown recall.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Dmcabee76
We have a new Platinum. Less than 2,000 miles and are experiencing this problem. It is acute and very bad...
Welcome to the community, Dmcabee76!

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. Were you able to schedule an appointment with your dealer? If not, please set an appointment, here.

In the meantime, please private message (PM) your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist!

Originally Posted by USAF CCM
Hope you have better success fixing the problem. We still have no idea how the fumes get in the car...
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Apparently Ford knows about this problem. The exhaust vents (rubber flappers) for the interior are located up inside the rear wheel-wells...
Originally Posted by HP junkie
Well, any luck on the fix? Curious to see if it worked...
Hello everyone,

If your vehicles are experiencing these symptoms, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Please private message (PM) us your VINs and mileages. We will be happy to see how we can best assist!

Lastly, to see the Field Service Action associated with your VIN, please click, here.

Tricia

Quick Reply: Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration