Air-Lift Air Bags and Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Air-Lift Air Bags and Controllers

Hey guys,

Wanted to let you know that I just pulled the trigger on a couple of items that is going to change my truck's attitude when I load him down with that 5er this year.

I just ordered:
Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate with internal Jounce Bumpers. Part number 88396
Air Lift Wireless Air part number 72000

Got a screaming great deal at Amazon and they also have a limited time $20 coupon on the bags.

But WAIT! If you order now (LOL)... No actually you have a little time. But I also wanted to share that Air-Lift has. $50 rebate on the bags and another $50 rebate on the compressor system (See link below for the form)...

Air Lift Mail In Rebates | Air Lift Company

Pretty pumped (pun intended) as I am going to be getting all this for around $650 after rebate!

I really wanted a compressor and tank system like the PN25572, but they don't have any wireless options that work with them and I really wanted to steer clear of any air line routing into the cab.

Pictures will be forthcoming!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Nice Randy! I like the 5000 Ultimates on my truck, they made a huge difference. The wirelessAir is still sitting in the box though. I did pick up an ammo can to mount everything in under the truck, then it snowed. No progress.

What's your plan for mounting the compressor and valve?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Not sure just yet on the compressor. The guy at AirLift seemed to think it would be just fine exposed to the elements and it's supposed to be water-proof.. That said, I know the compressor's intake should be shielded or maybe mounted inside the cab or way up in the inside of the bed between the inner and outer walls...
Have to have it in my hands I guess..

I have a bunch of blow-mold cases from all my Makita tools. I may repurpose one for this..

Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 AM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a post from a year or so ago that I copied this diagram from. Don't recall the OP handle or how I tracked it down. But, this diagram should spell his work out pretty clearly. He housed most of the electric items in a battery box mounted upside-down next to the frame and from the pics it looked like a nice package. I'm reposting the diagram in response to your original post. Note that he is using the Airlift Wireless control AND using a tank. Rather than using the wireless controller to turn on the compressor he uses it to open an air valve to the tank. I think the big deal for the tank is to support the air bags and the horn.
This is a clever piece of work and thought it deserved to be passed around.
To the OP, if you are still around, I think this is one damn fine piece of work!

Big, Good luck with your project!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Pretty interesting!

It does appear, however, that there is one conductor missing on the Air-Lift Wireless controller. There is no positive feed to the controller itself shown. The only wire shown is the output from the controller which is supposed to switch the compressor on/off.
My only other concern is the potential to back-feed current from upfitter sw4 to the controller. Maybe a diode should be in place there?
I'm many years out of electronics training so I may be all wet - but still curious and I can see great potential here...

According to Air-Lift Support the compressor that comes with the wireless systems does not have the capacity to fill or keep a air tank filled.. Finding that a little hard to believe but...

Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 PM
skscci
Senior User
I too am quite a few years out of electronics class, but I was wondering about the use of Upfitter 3 for the airhorn.
It looks to me that in this diagram, the OEM horn will always sound but the air horn will only sound if upfitter 3 is enabled.
Is that correct?
Thanks.
Steve.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Looks like the horn relay on the left is triggered by the horn button on the steering wheel. The left relay blows the OEM horn and triggers the relay to the Air-Horn.
Upfitter sw3 is the power source for both horns the way it looks. In otherwords if SW3 is not on you get no horn. If it is on you get both horns.
Wait - not entirely sure of that now as I realize the orientation of the relays is different.. I need my relay cheat sheet...

Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
As I recall the #3 switch off gives the OEM horn, when on he gets only the air horns.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Hey guys,

Wanted to let you know that I just pulled the trigger on a couple of items that is going to change my truck's attitude when I load him down with that 5er this year.

I just ordered:
Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate with internal Jounce Bumpers. Part number 88396
Air Lift Wireless Air part number 72000

Got a screaming great deal at Amazon and they also have a limited time $20 coupon on the bags.

But WAIT! If you order now (LOL)... No actually you have a little time. But I also wanted to share that Air-Lift has. $50 rebate on the bags and another $50 rebate on the compressor system (See link below for the form)...

Air Lift Mail In Rebates | Air Lift Company

Pretty pumped (pun intended) as I am going to be getting all this for around $650 after rebate!

I really wanted a compressor and tank system like the PN25572, but they don't have any wireless options that work with them and I really wanted to steer clear of any air line routing into the cab.

Pictures will be forthcoming!
To use a compressor and tank with the wireless controller you just need a 12 volt air valve.
I don't know why they just don't offer this an option.

You connect the wireless controller's compressor feed to the air valve instead. I have had mine this way for 4 years.
I think I have it posted on the forum here, i'll have to see if I can find it.

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Not sure just yet on the compressor. The guy at AirLift seemed to think it would be just fine exposed to the elements and it's supposed to be water-proof.. That said, I know the compressor's intake should be shielded or maybe mounted inside the cab or way up in the inside of the bed between the inner and outer walls...
Have to have it in my hands I guess..

I have a bunch of blow-mold cases from all my Makita tools. I may repurpose one for this..

When I first had this kit installed on my GMC, I had the compressor intake snaked up into the cab with the air filter extension kit supplied. I eventually just move the compressor into he cab to protect it.

The air tank option is a good way to go if you want to add air horns to the truck eventually.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Found it. Last picture shows the air valve.

AirLift bags and Wireless controller for hitch

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...for-hitch.html

Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Great info Duane, reps sent

Old 03-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Hi guys,

Well my packages were delivered today...
I have to tell you that I am ABSOLUTELY HUGE on Made in the USA and I **Always** look for products made here or Canada (our brothers)...

I was told that Air-Lift systems were all made in the USA.
What you see below is the unboxing of the Wireless Air (Made in the USA as told to me by Air-Lift's Tech Support folks prior to my ordering)...

You tell me - what do you see?

Now - all that said - I did see that the Wireless Controller itself had a Made in USA sticker on it (no pic).
I was really sweating it on the compressor.. I have seen other compressors that were made to look like they were metal but really had plastic molded to look like a finned metal cylinder etc... I unboxed the compressor and it is all metal (whew)!

The Air-Bags and brackets all looked good. The Air-Bags had "Assembled in USA" stickers on them. I can only guess where the parts came from...

Not sure what I am going to do at this juncture...

Is the Vair system USA?
What about Firestone bags?

Pretty peeved right now...

Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM
skscci
Senior User
Liars or those who lie by deceit, trickery or omission do not deserve nor get my business.
I will pay more to a reputable company and let the disreputable one know that I will share their deceit with others.
Personally I've been looking at the Firestone's, but truthfully I have been ***-uming that they are American made.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Its good stuff Randy, I'm sure you'll be happy once you throw the package away

Old 03-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Well, I decided that I am writing to Air-Lift to voice my displeasure with their sales tactics and will go ahead and keep / install them.

I got under the truck yesterday to survey the job...
That's when I realized - oh yeah - you sprayed Fluid Film all over everything so the whole bottom side of the truck is slimey...
Not what I want to deal with right now... So, what I will end up doing is wait another month until it gets/stays relatively warm, then jack up the truck - pull the rear wheels off - pressure wash the area - install the kits...
I will re-spray the Fluid Film when I am done...

Quick Reply: Air-Lift Air Bags and Controllers