1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Think I want to ditch the Volare Clip? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think I want to ditch the Volare Clip? Thoughts?

Hey guys, I bought a 1956 F100 a few months back and it has a volare clip, 390 with C6 ford 9" rear, I've pulled the cab off, replaced the complete passenger side cowl smoothed the fire wall, all body seams, filled ash tray hole in dash, move fuel tank to back, smoothed out the tailgateand numerous other little mods, and as i'm looking at it now, with the frame sitting there and getting ready to put the body & bed on for mock up, I'm just not liking how the motor mounts are fabbed up (looks like Dr. Frankenstein made them) and the big steering box etc.it just isn't going to be clean enough. Here's the question, how difficult of a job is it to pull out the volare clip and do something like a Mustang II? Will I need to basically rebuild a section of the frame back to the way it was prior to the volare install, not sure I want to keep the 390 either, thinking more like a small block ford. This was supposed to be basically a rat rod, but I just can't go as rat rod as I thought I could, if that makes sense.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I am not the right guy to give input on this subject because I am not a fan of the volare clip. (I have installed a couple under protest)

You will need to rebuild / replace the frame sections that were cut out to insert the volare unit but it is not a huge task if you are a decent welder and fabricator. Depending on how crazy they went when they welded the clip in, it will probably take you longer to cut the unit out than to repair the frame damage.

The newer mustang II systems have a lot more adjustability to them and will give you a better ride, stance, and drivability than the volare clip ever could.

Just a note to remember if you decide to start over. Put the entire frame up on jack stands and level it and cross measure your frame for square before you begin repairing the frame. You want to weld it back as straight and true as you possibly can. Then when you install whatever new suspension you decide on it will be going into a square frame.

That's my 2 cents on that,,,lol

Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are near north east Georgia , I know where there are a bunch of trucks cheap , if you want a frame .

Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
A new replacement frame would be the easiest solution as long as you get a new title for the serial # stamped in that frame. If you have a title for the frame you have and don't want to change frames, then the only options is to rebuild the damaged portion of your frame. Since an MII type IFS rquires boxing the frame prior to installing frame strength should not be an issue if you box it after the repair. I think john n. (user name jniolon) did this very dance only he did the volare install himself first then ripped it out for an MII and documented the whole ordeal.
Hint: avoid the MII conversions sold by Johnny Law, Helix, or any no name Chinese clone units sold cheap on ebay, or any partial kits that say you can use salvage yard parts to complete.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Volare front that the PO put in, he did such a crappy job that I couldn't get anyone to work on it do to safety concerns if they did. I had someone else cut it out and install a new MII for me,here's some picks of the new clip welded in. Maybe you can see how much frame they had to add and weld up, There are better options out there for us now,so good luck.L8R ZFLASH

Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Had two Bonus Built trucks with Volare suspensions. Loved both of them. Both trucks had a nice smooth ride. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
mr.precision
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My recently bought 1951 F1 has a Volare front clip. It was built in 1979, so I assume at the time this was a popular swap. When I got the truck, it over steered to the point of being dangerous to drive. Put it up on my lift, and discovered loose nuts on the pitman arm, drag link, and one of the tie rod ends. Once snugged down, the over steer was gone.
Why are these front ends considered a poor choice today? I don't think the drive quality is bad although I am new to this type of set-up.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.precision
My recently bought 1951 F1 has a Volare front clip. It was built in 1979, so I assume at the time this was a popular swap. When I got the truck, it over steered to the point of being dangerous to drive. Put it up on my lift, and discovered loose nuts on the pitman arm, drag link, and one of the tie rod ends. Once snugged down, the over steer was gone.
Why are these front ends considered a poor choice today? I don't think the drive quality is bad although I am new to this type of set-up.
Probably because there is newer stuff available. Although, the T-bar was still in use until 1989 and that's about as new as the Jag suspensions that are being used now. The biggest complaint I've heard over the years is the mushiness...but I like mushy. It's a personal opinion but some want their trucks to drive like a truck and some want them to drive like a car. When I built my trucks I wanted them to ride as smooth and comfortable as possible.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I have done three of these swaps and have no complaints on two the third is still un tested but does not worry me because I am very satisfied with the first two. I think the problem may lie in the fact that you just don't find as many at the dismantlers anymore, hard part availability.
I would not cut mine off for the sake of getting something newer. If I was to decide to that I did not want it I would do as Ax has suggested and get a new frame and sell the one with the volare frame.
On the one I have on my panel I have put the dropped spindles from fatman fabrications on so as to give me a little more adjustability. I c-notched the frame to put it down in the weeds, my personal preference. My buddy mounted his under the frame using the oem mounting rubber, because he wanted his truck to remain a working truck with modern handling characteristics, he is very satisfied and still going, his swap was done in 1980. It was he who turned me on to this swap.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck had the Volare swap from the PO. It was done in early '80's but the truck was put in storage in 1982 and not touched. When I got the truck three years ago the steering/handling was bad, real bad. I considered pulling it off and going MII, but decided to give it a chance. Did a complete rebuild/replace. Tie rods, king pin, shocks, bushings, rotors, the works. After, it gave me nice ride and decent handling. It's not a sports car and I didn't expect sports car handling. But it's more than good enough for an old truck.

One big improvement was the oversized sway bay.

So, I guess I am with Vern, leave it for now, get the truck on the road and enjoy it some. It's something you can always do later if you feel the need.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think based on some of the comments, I'll give it a try, worse case scenario, is I'll see how I like it, if not just save a bit and get a new chassis with a four link and all the goodies, but then again, this was just supposed to be an inexpensive rat rod rod truck project, all ready re evaluating the budget! LOL. Soon as I can figure out how to post pics I'll post some of what i got going on.
Don

Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not cuttin' mine out. Sure if I were starting it now I would not use it, but it works fine.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 PM
walt460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1956 F100 with a Volare IFS which was installed at a frame shop in Denver back in the 80's at the request of the previous owner. It "saddles" the original F100 frame, so the VIN # is still clear on the frame. I drove this truck for 2 years including one cross-county trip. It drove and tracked great, no issues. The truck is in storage, since 2002, but I hope to get it on the road again this summer. I plan to rebuild the front suspension and upgrade the disc brakes, but I am keeping the Volare IFS.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:23 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Okiedokie
Not cuttin' mine out. Sure if I were starting it now I would not use it, but it works fine.
+1

I think you will find it rides really nice and you can adjust your ride height to your hearts content.

Quick Reply: Think I want to ditch the Volare Clip? Thoughts?