Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy front leaf springs - brand new ATS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:10 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is being caused by the tract bar geometry you could space the mount down a little. A lift kit will come with a dropped bracket but you would not need that much. A few thick washers might do the trick on the cheap

Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't looked in a few weeks, so your saying this bracket can come off and use washers to drop it down some? That sounds like a possible fix. I do not see the springs driving themselves back to center. Mine were centered when installed and pulled over to the side after a few hundred miles. Fixing the trac bar and then massaging them back would be my guess.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:21 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Yes, It's a bolt on. The geometry of the track bar is off (stretched to far upward). When you get a lift kit it comes with a longer (lowered ) bracket to fix this. However your not that far off I would presume, SO it should be possible to lower the stock bracket with a few shims

Old 06-22-2015, 04:21 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have not solved my front end noise. While I believe it is somewhat different than the others who have posted in the this thread, I will update once I can get it solved.

I have an adjustable front trackbar on order and will install once it arrives. I also installed 1" lift shackles on the front springs as the 2" rake was bugging me.

I have also developed a noise from the rear, but this one I believe I know the cause. ATS does not use isolators when they build the C code with the added leaf. I will have to add something to get rid of the noise.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 01FordEx
I have also developed a noise from the rear, but this one I believe I know the cause. ATS does not use isolators when they build the C code with the added leaf. I will have to add something to get rid of the noise.
You could try UHMW (ultra high molecular weight). It's a thin material that has excellent wear resistance. It is used for squeak and rattle situations by the OEs. I'm just not sure if the adhesive will stay bonded to the spring.

But before you do any noise prevention, I'd get the truck on a lift that allows the axle to hang down (stretch out the springs) and look for shiny spots, if it's been squeaking, you'll see wear.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 AM
RobertH
Tuned
That is the same creaking sounds we have had on our explorer. Would spray springs with WD40 and it would go away after a couple of sprays and would stay quiet for a few months, but would come back again.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Maybe it's the heat, but mine hasn't creaked at all lately. Strange.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:34 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
After installing the front lift shackles the front became much noisier than before. It took lots of effort to get the spring aligned and I am sure that the axle is getting pulled to the driver side due to the factory track bar. Once the new one goes on I expect improvements. It may not solve everything but it should help...

Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
I am amazed that you are having these issues!

I did the X/Mod C and have no noise what so ever!

Last edited by Restlesswildman; 06-23-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: SPEaling! lol
Old 06-23-2015, 08:29 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Its possible that the slight weight increase of a diesel is keeping your front end JUST at the point where this wont happen. Perhaps that explains why mine seems to be doing it less... the springs may be settling in a bit? just a theory.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Its possible that the slight weight increase of a diesel is keeping your front end JUST at the point where this wont happen. Perhaps that explains why mine seems to be doing it less... the springs may be settling in a bit? just a theory.

Just put my head under the truck to check mine. I used ford springs & the over loads from the rear B pack (LIKE TOM's rig). The total lift was 3 1/8" to 3 1/4". The picture you posted 05Mill was fairly disturbing & easy to tell why you had noise. The factory spring bushing EXtends far enough past the spring eye so as not to allow the spring eye to make contact with the spring cup as your picture shows. I don't know if my track bar is in a bine BUT I don't have any noise , metal on metal contact anywhere, & the truck drives great, straight and true

Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Perhaps then ATS might need to revise the bushing used in these. I had thought about finding a rubber/nylon spacer of sorts to stick on either side of the front spring eye. Kinda wish I had kept my factory springs to compare more closely.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Perhaps then ATS might need to revise the bushing used in these. I had thought about finding a rubber/nylon spacer of sorts to stick on either side of the front spring eye. Kinda wish I had kept my factory springs to compare more closely.

I'm going to check more closely today for you as well as the old X's I just looked at my old X spring. On the front spring eye the steel sleeve in the bushing is almost 1/4" longer on each side of the spring. Not very much, BUT when installed it does look like it is keeping the spring from hitting the inside of the mounting pocket. If your spring's bushing are flush it looks like a few well placed washers would do the trick......

Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 AM
98BAMM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got the adjustable track bar on. The axle is centered almost perfect. The drivers side spring came back to center, but the front of the passenger side spring is still pulled against and rubbing on the hanger. Out of solutions! I think the rubber that is used in these aftermarket springs are not the quality that Ford uses. Thinking about ordering a 3 inch hanger kit and putting the stock springs back on.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 98BAMM
Finally got the adjustable track bar on. The axle is centered almost perfect. The drivers side spring came back to center, but the front of the passenger side spring is still pulled against and rubbing on the hanger. Out of solutions! I think the rubber that is used in these aftermarket springs are not the quality that Ford uses. Thinking about ordering a 3 inch hanger kit and putting the stock springs back on.
I don't think I'd do that yet, what about changing the bushings? If I changed mine I would go with either Ford or Moog. I wouldn't go poly graphite or poly eurethane because the impact harshness will increase and those materials are noisy.

Quick Reply: Noisy front leaf springs - brand new ATS