1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How many have had problems with the 4R100?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our old mechanical diode trany is hanging in there at 222k

Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At 114,000 miles, after tranny warmed up it was slow to engage first gear. The feed bolts came loose. With Roland and Mark K's knowledge, they walked me through the fix (thanks again guys).

I made the 600 mile trip to Holtville for a John Wood Towmaster.
Transmissions good to go, now.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:54 PM
AMG-SM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r***r
At 114,000 miles, after tranny warmed up it was slow to engage first gear. The feed bolts came loose. With Roland and Mark K's knowledge, they walked me through the fix (thanks again guys).

I made the 600 mile trip to Holtville for a John Wood Towmaster.
Transmissions good to go, now.

Is there a thread on this fix?
Thanks.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:53 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lisa's (Smokin) tranny just croaked at 300K miles. It's safe to say, if properly taken care of, and a little bit of preventative measures (Valve body) these 4R100's will stand the test of time. Mine made it to 182K before giving up the ghost! Almost all of those miles were tuned, and using a JWVB.....and towing 70% of the time.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG-SM
Is there a thread on this fix?
Thanks.
These are my threads regarding my 4r100 issue:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-my-4r100.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...remove-it.html.

But with the numerous other threads on here from the brotherhood, the direct PM's, and the ATSG Manual, I was able to tackle the job.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
SO how does one find or check said feed bolt to make sure its not backing out before it makes a mess of the trans. any pictures of how and where..

should it be taken out and lock washer installed to prevent back or thread loc??

Originally Posted by izzybird
Pretty much what Roland said at 200k. I tightened the feed bolts back up and pointed the ol' gal to Lead Hill ArrrKansas. It made it just fine, but there was some major center support wear among other things. Brian said it was on the last toe of its last leg. All stock except for a TS chip with gearhead tunes.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by carl2591
SO how does one find or check said feed bolt to make sure its not backing out before it makes a mess of the trans. any pictures of how and where..

should it be taken out and lock washer installed to prevent back or thread loc??
Feed Bolts are above the Valve bodies. The VB's, Separator Plate and Gaskets need to be removed to access them. Care must be taken to get all the check ***** and EPC blow-off valve back into place before the Separator Plate is reinstalled. Over tightening the feed bolts can warp the Trans Case and create problems with VB worm track sealing. Sonnax makes a kit with spring loaded tubes that are inserted in the Feed Bolt passages to aid in sealing against the Center Support to prevent pressure loss. The Center Support can wear against the Case and "walk back and forth" within the Case. The movement can cause the Feed Bolts to loosen. Tightening the bolts does not remedy this. A new Center Support, or machined upgraded one with spacer, is the cure. The head of the Feed Bolt seals against the Case. No washer should be used. I would clean and apply Loctite 620 to bolt face and threads if they were removed.

Name:  check *****.gif
Views: 4328
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  center support bolts.gif
Views: 3241
Size:  21.3 KB

Attached Images   
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 PM
orng1
Postmaster
What temps are you guys seeing in your transmission fluid?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 PM
keiseldiesel
Freshman User
I had to replace my 4r100 out of my 7.3 when it only had 150000 miles. come to find out that the torque converter failed and threw up metal shaving in my tranny. it embedded metal into all my clutches. so they put in a double clutch tc and replaced all the clutches in the tranny. also had the tugger shift kit put in it and i love it. the weakness of the 4r100 is the TC and can cause a very expensive rebuild. wish i wouldve just put a better TC in it when i got it.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Shortly after I reinstalled my rebuilt trans I broke my brand new converter.... Like 5 miles into it. It may have been some of my fault but I did everything I was told by my transmission guy. One foot to the floor and I trashed it.... It was an upgraded one too I don't recall what kind. I went billet after that incident.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
While the stock 4R100 torque converter may be less than perfect, replacing it will not insure protection from the other internal problems that can plague it, i.e. dislodged snap rings, sticking accumulator regulators, and worn center supports. These are problems that the aftermarket industry have recognized and developed solutions to them. Depending on how it's used, or abused, a stock 4R100 will hold up well with routine maintenance. But, you still can't factor out parts failure. I managed to take out a billet triple disc torque converter, dual load center support, and 300 M input shaft. All of which did not live up to their expected potential and were considered defective.
Name:  IMAG0220 (2).jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  98.7 KB
Yes, there are fractures in the shaft.
Name:  IMAG0219 (2).jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  111.3 KB
Bushing seized to Center shaft

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

230k on mine, towing 11k camper lots. I have a JW valve body, diesel site filter and use synthetic fluid flushed every 30-40k. Still like new. Also an after market tranny cooler I got from RiffRaff a while back.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I run the stock cooler...I have never seen trans temp over 205...never.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dan V
I run the stock cooler...I have never seen trans temp over 205...never.
That was about typical for me also when towing a 10k fiver when everything was stock, except for a tuner and Accumulator VB spring kit w/ Line Pressure regulator.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
roland,
thanks for that.. Would it be worth while, while the valve bodies are down and the center support is exposed, to do the upgraded center support?? I see you reference a kit at Sonnax can you provide parts numbers for that.

Also where did you get the nice diaphragms.. must be a repair manual you have there.. any chance of getting more info and copies of that part.. Would be nice to see how the stuff comes down in sequence as this will be done from under the trans

would the feed bolt be the three shown with torque values of 12 ft lbs??

thank a million man....

Originally Posted by mueckster
Feed Bolts are above the Valve bodies. The VB's, Separator Plate and Gaskets need to be removed to access them. Care must be taken to get all the check ***** and EPC blow-off valve back into place before the Separator Plate is reinstalled. Over tightening the feed bolts can warp the Trans Case and create problems with VB worm track sealing. Sonnax makes a kit with spring loaded tubes that are inserted in the Feed Bolt passages to aid in sealing against the Center Support to prevent pressure loss. The Center Support can wear against the Case and "walk back and forth" within the Case. The movement can cause the Feed Bolts to loosen. Tightening the bolts does not remedy this. A new Center Support, or machined upgraded one with spacer, is the cure. The head of the Feed Bolt seals against the Case. No washer should be used. I would clean and apply Loctite 620 to bolt face and threads if they were removed.

Attachment 115655

Attachment 115656

Quick Reply: How many have had problems with the 4R100?