6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tank for Airbag system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I used a Firestone compressor and air bags on my 2008 trucks, never had a tank, I just ran the compressor to fill the air bags when I hooked up to a trailer. It worked great and I had no problems.

But

I had a nagging feeling that the system just wasn't enough. I needed a tank so I could inflate tires while on the road. My air chuck is installed just to the left of the license plate on the rear bumper. Having the tank allows me to use air any time I need it and I will never have a truck without a viair system again.

Yes, drain the tank now and then, no big deal. I have yet to wear one out (compressor or tank) from viair. I have air horns, air bags, and carry a 50' hose with me everywhere I go. I drove right by you last night gwcon. I kept an eye out as I drove through there but no dice...

Hey bud. With all these replies I think I am going to have to get a tank to keep up with all you Jones'. It sounds like they come in handy. I was worried about rust particles and water getting into the air bag system but it sound like if I drain the tank when I drain the WS it will be OK. Were you on I10 or I95? I spend a lot of time on those roads.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
No tank for us...
we just got the wirelessONE compressor with the in-cab controller for our bags...
set it and forget it... it's been perfect - one less thing I need to worry about with the rv !

only comes on when it needs to add air (which is very rare !)

Thanks for the info. That is one heck of a rig you have. You have to love automatic stuff, when it works properly of course.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:46 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I have a tank on mine, like Sam, and I put a drain valve in the down position so I can drain it. Here in the south, I drain it 2-3 times a year. Only ever gotten a little spray out of it. The inside of a Viair tank is painted but will eventually rust I guess. I use mine for filling the bags on the run, instead of the compressor running all the time when I am playing with the bags. I ran a chuck under the right rear door of the truck to fill tires, floats, you name it. I did a write up here about it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html

Thanks for that link gm. I missed that before starting this thread. However, these threads give you all the opportunity to show off your rigs and their accessories. Then I take it all in and spend more money. LOL

Old 02-28-2015, 07:53 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by gwcon
Hey bud. With all these replies I think I am going to have to get a tank to keep up with all you Jones'. It sounds like they come in handy. I was worried about rust particles and water getting into the air bag system but it sound like if I drain the tank when I drain the WS it will be OK. Were you on I10 or I95? I spend a lot of time on those roads.
Use the high points on the tank to supply your connections for bags, horns, chucks, etc, and rust and dirt shouldn't be a problem, even if you forget to drain the tank now and then.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Use the high points on the tank to supply your connections for bags, horns, chucks, etc, and rust and dirt shouldn't be a problem, even if you forget to drain the tank now and then.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:28 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Stainless tanks are not much different in price then steel tanks. Check Amazon.
Plenty of room to mount a big tank above the driveshaft. Could probably fit a 10 galloon tank up there if needed.

Having the tank means having volume. Great if you have air horns, air bags and as I do, an air hitch.
Having volume means the compressor runs less frequently for longer stretches. Better for the compressor as opposed to frequent short run cycles.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
Plenty of room to mount a big tank above the driveshaft. Could probably fit a 10 galloon tank up there if needed.

Having the tank means having volume. Great if you have air horns, air bags and as I do, an air hitch.
Having volume means the compressor runs less frequently for longer stretches. Better for the compressor as opposed to frequent short run cycles.
Try to get a compressor with a 100% Duty Cycle for just that reason. They will last longer.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, I ran to Tampa on Thursday, back home Friday. I use 95 to 295, then 10 over to 301 and go all the way to Ocala. Sometimes I use 301 all the way from statesboro, go to Ocala. I hate 95. Actually I've been running down by you almost every other week so far this year. I see the macclenny signs all the time.

I have installed the VIAIR 10007 systems on three trucks, my current truck is the dual compressor 10009 system, both 100% duty cycle compressors and I haven't burned one out yet in the past 7 years. The tanks do drain rusty water but VERY little, even in the south, the water is minimal. My systems mount above the drive shaft behind the carrier bearing.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:26 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by porthole

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the delayed response.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Try to get a compressor with a 100% Duty Cycle for just that reason. They will last longer.

Thanks for your advice. Sorry for the delayed response. I went for the heavy duty Firestone system because of their sale. When you have to get two the sales can make a huge difference.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:41 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Hey, I ran to Tampa on Thursday, back home Friday. I use 95 to 295, then 10 over to 301 and go all the way to Ocala. Sometimes I use 301 all the way from statesboro, go to Ocala. I hate 95. Actually I've been running down by you almost every other week so far this year. I see the macclenny signs all the time.

I have installed the VIAIR 10007 systems on three trucks, my current truck is the dual compressor 10009 system, both 100% duty cycle compressors and I haven't burned one out yet in the past 7 years. The tanks do drain rusty water but VERY little, even in the south, the water is minimal. My systems mount above the drive shaft behind the carrier bearing.

Thanks for the info. Sorry for my delayed response.

I am all over 295 all the time but it's usually early or late in the day. If you see me(I usually stand out like a sore you know what) honk and I'll buy you breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on what time of the day it is.
I looked at your system it is nice. I just couldn't pass up Firestone's sale. I hope to start the installs today. I am going to get both of the air bag systems working and then add tanks later.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Looking at the Viair 2.5 gallon tanks. Did you all use the mounting bracket that is sold separately or did you just mount the tank to the frame? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking at the Viair 2.5 gallon tanks. Did you all use the mounting bracket that is sold separately or did you just mount the tank to the frame? Thanks.
Monty is the master!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13773121

Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sdetweil

Thanks Sam.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks Sam.
my pleasure..

I created insulators for the compressor bracket to the chassis..

some bathroom wax paper cups, and some wood floor adhesive..

dump an inch (or u decide how much) of the adhesive in 4 paper cups.. wait a few days, tear off the paper cups.
hard as all get out, waterproof, but still flexible.

Quick Reply: Tank for Airbag system